19 or 21??? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #141

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Another question ? Would it be good to get one of those 1000 lb Shurline scales ? Does anyone have a good source with a reasonable price also if you recommend . Pat
I would say that it depends on your tow vehicle. If you think you might get close to the limits of your hitch weight, it might not be a bad idea. But if you are way out there in capacity, I wouldn't worry about it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #142

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 1000 lb scale is easier to read vs the 2000 lb, particularly for older eyes.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #143

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The 1000 lb scale is easier to read vs the 2000 lb, particularly for older eyes.
And probably more accurate for Escape weight ranges.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #144

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would go direct to Sherline:
https://www.sherlinedirect.com/index...TOKEN=27015567
I got mine from etrailer, but they only sell it with 2,000 lb. gauge, so then I had to buy a 1,000 lb. gauge from Sherline and change it over myself.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #145

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There is a 1000 lb version (used with the box) for sale at one of the RV parts stores here at Quartzsite for $24.00. While I don't need one, I should have picked it up for someone else. Only problem is there are so many of the booths selling stuff that i can't for the life of me remember where it was! If I find it again, I'll pick it up...
Old 01-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #146

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I got one thru Amazon from Rigid Hitch Inc. for $140 with free shipping. The one that arrived was defective and the Rigid Hitch people were fast and efficient with getting me a replacement shipped and the defective one shipped back free.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #147

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always bring mine to rallies for other to use. In fact, Iowa Dave still has mine from the Niagara Rally until the next time we meet sometime this year. If you run into him before I do, ask to borrow it.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #148

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I would say that it depends on your tow vehicle. If you think you might get close to the limits of your hitch weight, it might not be a bad idea. But if you are way out there in capacity, I wouldn't worry about it. Loren
When you say limits of hitch weight , is that the truck? it is a Class 3 5000 lb 500 . The truck can pull over 8200 or more I forget might even have been 11000 . Can't remember . But I do know the hitch on truck . Am I just being a worry wart or would this still be a good idea or just look at trailer and truck when hooked up . I usually carry a full tank of water too . My batteries are in the front box . So I thought that makes a balance ? The front box I mean . I always can put air in the truck firestones if truck needs to bring trailer front up. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #149

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
She's in the box with two cans of Jalapeño Spam. Outside It's 14 degrees F with a 20 mph wind. I thought the Jalapeños would keep the hydraulic Jack oil from getting stiff. Warm inside the house with the geo thermal cooking along and a fire in the fireplace. Making rally and camping goals the last couple of days.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #150

I'd be less concerned about having a little too much tongue weight than having too little tongue weight. Too little would induce sway.
You want the tongue weight to be 12-15 per cent of the trailer weight.
You want a scale with 1,000 lb. gauge because it is most accurate at the middle of the gauge and easier to read.
If that's not what you are asking, I got lost in this thread.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd be less concerned about having a little too much tongue weight than having too little tongue weight. Too little would induce sway.
You want the tongue weight to be 12-15 per cent of the trailer weight.
You want a scale with 1,000 lb. gauge because it is most accurate at the middle of the gauge and easier to read.
If that's not what you are asking, I got lost in this thread.
Glenn your recommendation is get the 1000 lb scale to check the tongue weight ? Pat
Old 01-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #152

Scale is the same. The gauge on the scale can be 1,000 or 2,000. Your tongue weight is likely to be 450 lbs? so that is in the middle of the gauge ( where it is most accurate ) and is easier to read.
Tongue weight on my 17B was about 320 lbs and the gauge read to 2,000 so it was really hard to read. I replaced 2,000 lb gauge with a 1,000 lb gauge. And, that cost me more money than if I had ordered it with a 1,000 lb gauge.
BTW, the scale is not supposed to be stored on its side ( like shown ) and is not supposed to be picked up by the top.
If you blow up this pic you can see where 320 lbs. would be and can imagine where it would be on a 2,000 lb gauge ( which is what's in that white box and useless to me ).
Attached Thumbnails
Sherline box.jpg  
Old 01-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #153

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
I went the cheap route to check my tongue weight. Since I already had a trailer dolly, I bought a cheap bathroom scale at Walmart, put it under 1 tire of the dolly, put a board under the other tire, and lowered the trailer onto the dolly. Take the weight on the scale, double it and subtract the weight of the dolly. Might have to put some extra boards under the dolly tires to bring the tongue up to normal towing height.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #154

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph & Paulette View Post
I went the cheap route to check my tongue weight. Since I already had a trailer dolly, I bought a cheap bathroom scale at Walmart, put it under 1 tire of the dolly, put a board under the other tire, and lowered the trailer onto the dolly. Take the weight on the scale, double it and subtract the weight of the dolly. Might have to put some extra boards under the dolly tires to bring the tongue up to normal towing height.
Actually, you would subtract half the weight of the dolly, as the other half is carried on the board on the other side. Probably not that great of an am
mount though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #155

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Actually, you would subtract half the weight of the dolly, as the other half is carried on the board on the other side. Probably not that great of an am
mount though.
When you double the weight on the scale, you account for the full dolly weight, so you would subtract the full dolly weight from that.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #156

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
When you double the weight on the scale, you account for the full dolly weight, so you would subtract the full dolly weight from that.
Ah, I shouldn't try thinking after 10 hours of work.

You are doubling half the weight of the dolly, thus having to reduce by the full weight of the dolly. My brain was on the thinking that you reduce the readout by half the weight of the dolly, then double the resultant to get the tongue weight, though that would work too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #157

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Since I already had a trailer dolly, I bought a cheap bathroom scale at Walmart, put it under 1 tire of the dolly, put a board under the other tire, and lowered the trailer onto the dolly. Take the weight on the scale, double it and subtract the weight of the dolly. Might have to put some extra boards under the dolly tires to bring the tongue up to normal towing height.
Clever!
Just keep the dolly level side-to-side when you block it up, so that the ball stays midway between the tires (horizontally) and the 2:1 ratio stays correct.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #158
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
While using a bathroom scale can get you close, if you want high accuracy, go with the shurline. The industrial scale will be much more accurate.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
While using a bathroom scale can get you close, if you want high accuracy, go with the shurline. The industrial scale will be much more accurate.
That is what we are getting . Pat
Old 01-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #160

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, the Sherline is likely better, but it is not a commercial scale approved for trade - it has no accuracy guarantee, or even an accuracy or repeatability spec on its web page. It is convenient, an excellent way to go for this specific purpose of checking tongue weight, and reasonably priced compared to alternatives.

It is possible to get a better electronic platform scale as well. I have a Kitchener digital scale (from Princess Auto) with 200 kg (440 lb) capacity, with a precision and repeatability of a small fraction of one kilogram (or pound). I didn't get it specfiically for tongue weight. The scale also reads continuously (rather than locking in annoyingly like a typical bathroom scale), and can be manually zeroed (to account for tare weight such as a stand sitting on it). Although it has much higher capacity than a typical bathroom scale, it can still only handle 17 Foot and smaller plus the lighter 19 Foot Escapes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote