19 or 21??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Fleetwood Santa Fe
19 or 21???

What do you like/dislike about the 19 and the 21?
We are thinking of buying soon and we like the layout of the 19 and the space of the 21. What should we do?
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
How well do you like each other and think you can manage in close quarters for any length of time? My husband and I took one look at the 19 and realized it was too small for us. We're not as skinny as we used to be (only in our dreams) and it was just too cozy for us.

Others can manage just fine, but it wasn't for us. To me that's the main criteria.

Also, since you're in Chilliwack, you're really close to the factory, so you can try both on for size. Pretend like you're camping in it and move around and see how it works for ya.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When you get as old as I am, cozy is good. I'm not small either and the 19 works good for us. I don't mind the crawl over action either. Maybe it's just me?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
.....we like the layout of the 19 and the space of the 21.
That pretty much sums it up. For us, the layout of the 21 would not work, with the bed where it is, but then it has a bit more space. Don't get me wrong, there is still LOTS of space in the 19.

If I was choosing between the two again, it would be the 19 for us. Can't lose with either though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We just looked at an Escape 19 (Kevin & Barbara Stocks) and an Escape 21 (Beth & Larry Mich) in South Carolina. Each had their own advantages. I liked the fact that the 21 had more kitchen space and it seemed to have more storage and a larger dinette area (at least it was easier to get into (it was set up as a lounge area at the time) but the 19 had a larger bed (Queen versus a double). We already have a 19 on order and after looking at each I still like the 19. My wife won't go with anything less than a queen bed so the 19 won out anyway. Like Kevin and Barbara we have been tent campers for so long that a 19 is going to be the Taj Mahal to us. Best thing to do is look at each one if possible, not everyone is alike, if they were their would only be a need for one size trailer.
Cody
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Layout before size.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Layout before size.
You are talking trailer, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
What do you like/dislike about the 19 and the 21?
We are thinking of buying soon and we like the layout of the 19 and the space of the 21. What should we do?
What is it you like about the layout of the 19'? You mean the bed at the back? Bath in the middle?

You can walk maybe three steps in a 19'. You can walk, starting in the bathroom, probably five in the 21' or even six. There is a big difference because of the bed in the 19' cutting off the space. The space you see while in the 21' bed is so much greater. The curtain takes care of the door area.

The drawback in the 21' is the smaller bed. The best 19' feature is probably the queen bed. The bed is tight in the 21' but can be worth it for the extra space in kitchen, bath and other places. The views are likely better out the back wth the dinette there in the 21'.

Try out the 21' bed and see if it works for you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
The drawback in the 21' is the smaller bed. The best 19' feature is probably the queen bed.
This was not the issue for us, and what fits our style. In the 19, I would have gladly given up a bit of bed size for more use elsewhere, though the wife really liked the queen size. As I am up and about a couple hours before my wife, the bed location in the 21 would not have worked, as she would have been bothered a lot. Being tucked away from the doorway for us was important, but for others it is not.

The 5.0 will give us good separation of the bed area too, though it does require a pickup, which was a compromise we were willing to make.

I am not saying at all that the 19 is better, it was just better for us. That 21 is one darn fine trailer, for sure.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
I initiaĺly wasn't crazy about the orientation of the bed in the 21, but Paulette wanted the extra counter space that the 21 offers. Plus, we didn't want to be victims of 2-foot-itis, so we decided to go for the 21. We didn't have any problems with the bed in our 17 foot Casita, and the bed in the 21 is at least as big as the Casita, so I think it'll work fine for us (we pick our 21 up in April). And one advantage of the bed in the 21, either of us can get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom without waking the other.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not saying at all that the 19 is better, it was just better for us. That 21 is one darn fine trailer, for sure.
That really is the bottom line. If there was a 20' model, one with the 19 layout and one with the 21 layout I'd pick the 19 model. We all have our preferences, sometimes for factual reasons and sometimes we just look at things and realize we prefer one thing over another for intangible reasons. Sometimes I think folks get too serious about trying to convince others that the model they choose is the only way to go. But then, heck, I could be happy with a Scamp 13 if it had a full time bed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This was not the issue for us, and what fits our style. In the 19, I would have gladly given up a bit of bed size for more use elsewhere, though the wife really liked the queen size. As I am up and about a couple hours before my wife, the bed location in the 21 would not have worked, as she would have been bothered a lot. Being tucked away from the doorway for us was important, but for others it is not.
That is why I asked him about the bed in the back --- as to whether that is an issue with the bed near the door. There may be some very little advantage to the location of the 19' bed for that, but it is traded on the 21' with a little more distance from bed to kitchen for the person sleeping, when the one up uses the kitchen. One thing is traded for another but they are minimal differences because these are small trailers.

The 21' has a curtain which needs to be used. We also have one person getting up early and that is not a problem as long as the curtain is kept across the door. Without the curtain, it would definitely be an issue. That curtain works great and the best thing about it is that it keeps the sun out. I thought the bed by the door would be a problem but it is fine.

I liked the queen also and wish that it did not have to be given up with a 21'. There are a couple of people who have found the 21' bed too small and then went to a 5.0. Don't know if they already had pick-ups.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We had a 17b and loved the layout. We just picked up our 19 and I call it the 17 on Steroids, same layout just bigger. 21 is a nice trailer, they all are, but the queen bed in the back and lounge up front is what works for us, but different strokes for different folks.
I can't get out of any bed no matter what way it angles without waking partner up, so we're with Iowa Dave on enjoying the crawl over.
I also prefer smaller for getting in some campsites and spaces. 19 is the cutoff on some great campgrounds that we haunt in AZ.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can only speak for myself. Looked at the 19, I liked it but Deb said it was too narrow. Liked the queen bed and the idea that a smaller vehicle that could tow it. We already owned a small conventional trailer so we new what we needed, size wise, to some extent.

Years later when the 21 came out we looked at it, Deb liked it, but for me the bed was a no go. Had everything we needed including the width, liked the bigger bathroom too. Would need a bigger vehicle then the 19.

Another year later the 5.0TA was designed, we both liked. Like Jim, losing the truck bed was the trade off as well as the smaller bath.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Just completing 6 nights in our 19. As said above going from tent camping, the 19 gives us everything we want in a small package. Many who downsize from a larger unit need the room of the 21. Hope you make the right choice for you.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you may find the queen bed a liability vs an asset after using it, particularly in the winter. The queen bed is literally wedged into a double bed space. It is so tight around the perimeter that others have complained about getting the bed linens on. Your best views are normally in the rear, but you will probably keep your blinds drawn. Finally there is the condensation issue of having your bed directly against the exterior walls in 3 locations. The queen mattress needs to be cut smaller to allow air to circulate around the perimeter, otherwise it will sweat.
These reasons are why the bed in the 21, albeit smaller, is better. Basically only one wall is exposed to the outside and if you have it cut 2" smaller, you will have no mold issues.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
That term "personal preference" gets used a lot, but it is so true. Cathy commented that she likes that the curtain keeps the sun out in the morning, while I really like waking up to the sun. For me, those three windows around the bed are great! I love having the view in the morning and when we are in the trailer during the day I'll often read or use my computer on the bed. We eat most meals outside so the view out the front has never been an issue. The storage and the counter space is appealing -- very appealing -- in the 21, but our particular goal was to find the smallest trailer we could get that had a queen size bed. There are times when I wish I didn't need to climb over Terry to get out but for us that is offset by the size.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Also, I agree with Jim about getting the bed linens on the bed in the 19, but a lot of people have bought bedding that gets rid of the problem. And so far -- knock on wood -- condensation has not been an issue. I think Reace decided to cut an inch off the size of the bed just before we bought our 19.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
As Ruthe mentions, it's all about personal preference. We have never run into a condensation issue in 70+ nights in our 19. We ALWAYS run the max fan with at least one window open a crack. I have to admit that we had 2 foot itis! For us, we were deciding between the 19 & 17. The 21 was not yet released when we ordered our 19, so that was not a consideration.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #20

The comment of the OP's regarding the layout vs size is a very valid one, as being here since the start of both being put into production, I have witnessed many folks who thought the 19 was the one for them based on layout, and some of these folks were swayed to the added space of the 21 only after seeing it.

We too did were not bothered by the climb over, which could be nice. But too be honest, we often did the step over, and started to actually both deal with the middle of the night bathroom trip at the same time. While not these best possible scenario, it was one that we gladly put up with for the bed location.

The mattress in the 19 is not a queen wedged into a double bed space, as other than the curved corners it was a full 60"x90" queen. We never had issue with moisture, likely due to our climate. Making of the bed was only an issue with the fitted sheet, but that only got replaced once a trip most times. When we got the replacement mattress, we did get it 2 " smaller each way, something anyone could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
That term "personal preference" gets used a lot, but it is so true. Cathy commented that she likes that the curtain keeps the sun out in the morning, while I really like waking up to the sun. For me, those three windows around the bed are great! I love having the view in the morning and when we are in the trailer during the day I'll often read or use my computer on the bed. We eat most meals outside so the view out the front has never been an issue. The storage and the counter space is appealing -- very appealing -- in the 21, but our particular goal was to find the smallest trailer we could get that had a queen size bed. There are times when I wish I didn't need to climb over Terry to get out but for us that is offset by the size.
Other than never hanging out on the bed, or at the dinette either, this take pretty much parallels mine. I did read in bed just before falling asleep though.

I know it is not for everyone, but for us the best view is not at the rear of the trailer, but is actually in the "living room", thus the reason we prefer to spend our time out there.

My brother just went through the 19 vs 21 thing last year, and it was not just the layout of the 19 that they preferred, they actually ordered it because of the slightly smaller size and weight, and knew from us using it that there was more than enough storage space. They wanted to use their Honda Pilot to tow, or when it needs replacing buy a vehicle of similar sizes, and the 21 was pushing the limits for doing this. They are coming from owning the same tent trailer and three kids for 20 years, and are really looking forward to the convenience and warmth the 19 will afford them.

There is no wrong choice in deciding which model to choose, only ones individual choice that really matters.