19' Rear U-dinette? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot F20 5th Wheel
19' Rear U-dinette?

We need to get our build sheet in real soon now.

We are having a hard time deciding on whether to go with the permanent bed or a rear dinette option. We have a family so we will have to set up a dinette one way or the other. (We will also get the cot option). I think we would also get a marine type pedestal on whichever table we decide would get set up daily. Our concern is how comfortable the cushions are going to be to sleep on. Also concerns with losing the underbed storage. Crystal mentioned that there are a few rear dinettes built each year. For those with 19's, any regrets one way or the other?
dalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Are you confusing the front "U" dinette with the rear? With a 19, the front dinette can be optioned to a "U" and also have the bunk option.
The rear is a queen bed stock or dinette option. So you want a front and a rear "U" option?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalama View Post
We have a family so we will have to set up a dinette one way or the other. (We will also get the cot option).
For me, the deciding factor would be the number in the family. If the number allowed everyone to sit at the front table and eat then I'd never give up my full time bed and the storage space that goes with it. On the other hand it depends on your previous experience. Not everyone minds going back and forth between a bed and a table. For us, been there, done that, no more.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I agree with Ron ... the number of people in your family would make the difference. We have the front U-shaped dinette and find that we can seat four adults comfortably (one rainy trip, we also managed to squeeze in two children in the corners). Using the rear area as a dinette is appealing (since, with a bed, it's only useful at night), but you are losing a bit of storage space. Even though you would still have space under the seats, where do you store all your bedding/sleeping bags and still have room to sit in the dinette? If you're seriously thinking of turning it into a dinette, you might want to boost the thickness of the cushions to make it more comfortable for sleeping.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
One possibility is to add another exterior hatch on the passenger side rear. This gives you "some" access under the bed. We have three exterior hatches on our 19 and use them all nearly every day. We have the conventional bed in the rear of the unit and a U shaped dinette on the front that can be converted to a pretty good sized ( two medium sized adults) bed.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback.
We will be able to seat everybody at either dinette. From a setup standpoint, we'd either have to set up the rear dinette versus take down cot and set up front dinette. Also received some feedback that people sleeping on dinette cushions on a regular basis are adding a 3" topper. Still deciding...
Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Keep in mind, if you use a topper during the night, you have to put it somewhere during the day. Our topper is maybe 2" thick and takes up a heck of a lot of room when rolled up for storage.
We leave the dinette as a bed, but if we plan to set it up as a table, I'll leave the topper at home.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The cushions do make for a very firm bed. When we have used the dinette as a bed, we've added an air mattress and left it set up.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
One possibility is to add another exterior hatch on the passenger side rear. This gives you "some" access under the bed. We have three exterior hatches on our 19 and use them all nearly every day. We have the conventional bed in the rear of the unit and a U shaped dinette on the front that can be converted to a pretty good sized ( two medium sized adults) bed.
Dave
Dave,
Where are you three exterior hatches? Did you put them in or did Escape do it?
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We are not the kind of people who would be happy if we had to make and unmake two beds twice a day. The pillows and blankets take up a fair amount of space, and without the permanent bed there is less storage. And in our case, we tend to leave things on the bed -- the extra blanket, pajamas, etc. These things would all need to be put away or found every time the switch was made. Having a spot that is permanently mine makes me a calmer person.

What also would make me claustrophobic would be making the switch with four people inside the trailer.

That said, some people are probably more orderly than us

When we traveled with four children we had a much bigger trailer, but there was no table or benches. The rear had bunks and the front had empty space with chair beds that could be folded up when we needed to be inside. Mostly we left the chairbeds opened up unless it was really pouring and we absolutely had to all be inside. If we were taking children in our 19 I think we'd do something similar. We'd just leave the cot and the dinette bed in place and everyone would have their own spot except for the times when weather forced us to eat inside. Even then I would consider spreading a tarp over the sleeping space and letting people eat while sitting on the bed or even the floor.

Here's another thought: The permanent bed is definitely big enough to lounge upon and games can be played there. Depending on the age of the kids, I'd even consider turning the permanent bed over to the kids with all their stuff and then we could do what we wanted with the dinette. That could be our space.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalama View Post
We need to get our build sheet in real soon now.

We are having a hard time deciding on whether to go with the permanent bed or a rear dinette option. We have a family so we will have to set up a dinette one way or the other. (We will also get the cot option). I think we would also get a marine type pedestal on whichever table we decide would get set up daily. Our concern is how comfortable the cushions are going to be to sleep on. Also concerns with losing the underbed storage. Crystal mentioned that there are a few rear dinettes built each year. For those with 19's, any regrets one way or the other?
If we can tell by what we have heard on the forum, it is exceedingly rare that someone would switch those spaces. Many people do not want to make up a bed every day but you may have to with children. Making up two beds, well, you are changing what many consider to be the best feature of these trailers which is a permanent bed and then another space that is a dinette (that can also seat more than two people).

In your case, since everyone can fit at the table, I don't know why you would want to change the queen bed. Seems the standard configuration would work. I have seen one of those trailers with the switched spaces and I guess it was perhaps a matter of having more table space or lounge space at the back, with the front bed (where the dinette usually goes) being left as the permanent bed apparently.

No, the cushions are not comfortable and a topper that others mentioned would be good.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Dave,
Where are you three exterior hatches? Did you put them in or did Escape do it?
Our hatches are right front, left front and right rear.'the left rear has the water hookup and the hot water tank and the attached electrical cord storage. They were all factory installed by the original owner. They are identical in size and are keyed alike. Tools etc in right front. Under bed storage of camp chairs,'right rear and water hose, pressure regulator etc in left front.
Dave
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
No, the cushions are not comfortable and a topper that others mentioned would be good.
I'm fine with the cushions until the morning of the third night sleeping on them. It's then that my hips want to know where the topper went. I don't think kids would notice that it was missing, so I wouldn't worry about them, if you were.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #14

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm fine with the cushions until the morning of the third night sleeping on them. It's then that my hips want to know where the topper went. I don't think kids would notice that it was missing, so I wouldn't worry about them, if you were.
True! If it is kids, they probably would think they're great cushions.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
If we can tell by what we have heard on the forum, it is exceedingly rare that someone would switch those spaces. Many people do not want to make up a bed every day but you may have to with children. Making up two beds, well, you are changing what many consider to be the best feature of these trailers which is a permanent bed and then another space that is a dinette (that can also seat more than two people).

In your case, since everyone can fit at the table, I don't know why you would want to change the queen bed. Seems the standard configuration would work. I have seen one of those trailers with the switched spaces and I guess it was perhaps a matter of having more table space or lounge space at the back, with the front bed (where the dinette usually goes) being left as the permanent bed apparently.

In my case, if I was ever to get a case of 2 footitis, I'd put a permanent bed in front, and a "U" shaped dinette in the back. I travel single, so the smaller front bed is a good size for me (it would be the same as my current permanent bed that replaces the 4 person dinette in my 17B). This would allow for a larger table and the "U" shaped dinette in back. The main thing I miss in my 17 is a table large enough to comfortably fit 4 people. According to Tammy, the switch is a $500.00 option...
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The main thing I miss in my 17 is a table large enough to comfortably fit 4 people.
Yep, that's why we have a 19. Went out "one last time" to ETI to tire kick, ready to put down a deposit on the 17 but took a quick look in a 19, a size that we'd already determined we didn't need. But we looked at the difference in the dinette size and knew that was now the size for us.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #17

Thanks again for the feedback.

We definitely need two sleeping areas. When we need seating we would only set up one area (unless we are having a real big inside party I wonder how many could fit in 2U's?). I suppose if we had a topper on the rear U we could walk it over to the front bed area or maybe have two side-by-side smaller toppers. I think we would have the front area made into a permanent bed if it wasn't so narrow - 44" is just too small for two people. I agree the cushions (and cot) are okay for kids.
By the way, you cannot have the table hinge option on a 19'.
Still don't think we've heard from someone who actually has a rear U?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #18

Quote:
In my case, if I was ever to get a case of 2 footitis, I'd put a permanent bed in front, and a "U" shaped dinette in the back. I travel single, so the smaller front bed is a good size for me (it would be the same as my current permanent bed that replaces the 4 person dinette in my 17B). This would allow for a larger table and the "U" shaped dinette in back. The main thing I miss in my 17 is a table large enough to comfortably fit 4 people. According to Tammy, the switch is a $500.00 option...
Really no reason to switch a bed on a 19' if you have to get another tow vehicle. Might as well just get a 21' with the space. No need to change the bed, and the bed is a little bigger.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Jon, you're not the only single traveler that's thought of this configuration. A comfortable front bed, big rear dinette and still a bit smaller trailer than the 21'. I know someone else that's currently looking to buy... and hopes a used trailer with this configuration comes up for sale.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
We have a 19 with a permanent bed in the front and the bench seat dinette in the back. We like it and think it advantageous. We convert the dinette to a bed each night. No complaints about comfort. In the morning we take the "bedding" from the queen dinette bed, fold it up, and put it on the bed in the front. Not a big deal.
As for storage, I suppose there would be more under the queen dinette. And, originally the storage under the front bed had to be accessed via lifting the bed. So, I put in a couple drawers under the front bed to facilitate access. Works great.
The rear dinette makes the dinette area larger. I would think it would be easier to seat four at a rear dinette vs. front. Don't really know.
Anyway, we love it and wouldn't have it any other way.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote