1st month in new 5.0 ... my thoughts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
1st month in new 5.0 ... my thoughts

We’ve been on the road a month now in new 5.0. Trailer was shipped to us in early May. We have been camping in open states ... sadly ours is not. Currently roaming around TN. So here I’m sharing my thoughts on how we equipped our new camper, glad we did/didn’ts and our satisfaction with the unit.

Love the camper. Tracks perfectly behind truck. If worried about towing with Tundra ... don’t. We have Anderson gooseneck mount and it is awesome. Pin adapter points forward and we have plenty of turning clearance to this point but have not yet experienced complex curves, dips, or turns. High axle a must in my mind.

One problem with getting trailer delivered is you have little recourse on broken things. Things that could be fixed at factory are now essentially my problem and not theirs. Broken cabinet latch and defective bathroom faucet. Also, broken piezo ignition switch on oven cooktop. People in general at ETI do not answer their phones so trying to get action comes down to email. Broken oven has to be dealt with Dometic warranty dealer. Ours is Camping World and they suck. No returned calls there. So for our life with the camper we will be using butane lighter.

We bought every option except elec awning, inverter and 2nd solar pan. So far ok with those choices. Definitely with the awning because the manual one is so easy to put out and of course is reliable. Not sure about the inverter at least the one plug version where I could’ve had a cuppa coffee when boondocking. I have a box of tea bag coffee if that happens.

Things ETI could have done but we didn’t have them. We travel with 6 Apple devices and Bluetooth speaker many of which need charging at end of day. Single plug near entryway is a disaster. Will need to add USB charging ports in upper berth and rear table. Lower cabinet at entry badly needs shelves. All I can think of.

General observations and mostly aggravations ... many already addressed here in forum. Many ETI should address:
We have pedestal mount table which is awesome but table top still wobbles.
Many owners have modified top step to open. How hard could that be to do during build?
Love capt lights but yes they are too harsh. Will replace.
Why are holes not already there if you need to hand crank front levelers?
Cooktop cover scratches easily. Needs to be stainless.
Hydraulic cylinder on door is a PITA.
Need screen door handle. Will add.
Right rear window conflict with awning. Need smaller window or moved. Afraid will break.

The LED tape light outside is very cool. Unfortunately it really attracts bugs so we don’t use it up here in the mountains.

Love the frameless windows. Make sure you close when moving (and awning closing).

This posting not meant to have long retorts about what you did. Just my thoughts.

Happy camping and be safe.

Escape”d”
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Thanks for sharing. I’m glad you enjoy your new 5.0. It will help others in the future when ordering. I did things a bit different and that’s OK! Per your comment I won’t go into them. To each his own. The beauty of an Escape is one can consider their camping style, likes and dislikes and customize their trailer accordingly. I figured if I got it right 80-90 percent then I’m doing good. I can change things later if I wish. John
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
I had the same problem with the ignitor on my ovens stove top burners. The problem was a wire that was not plugged into the ignitor. Remove the cover and the burner grate. Push back on the stove top and lift up the front, it will pull right off. Check that a wire is plugged in by each burner and all three wires are plugged into the ignitor. Hope this solves your problem.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Also, broken piezo ignition switch on oven cooktop. People in general at ETI do not answer their phones so trying to get action comes down to email. Broken oven has to be dealt with Dometic warranty dealer. Ours is Camping World and they suck. No returned calls there. So for our life with the camper we will be using butane lighter.
Not trying to let ETI off the hook but the piezo assembly looks to be a $13 part. If rmitch's troubleshooting doesn't work you could buy it and try your hand at installing. I've never done it but I can't imagine it being terribly difficult to replace. It looks like you just need to get underneath the top burner pan as described.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...piezo-igniter/
Old 06-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
I had the same problem with the ignitor on my ovens stove top burners. The problem was a wire that was not plugged into the ignitor. Remove the cover and the burner grate. Push back on the stove top and lift up the front, it will pull right off. Check that a wire is plugged in by each burner and all three wires are plugged into the ignitor. Hope this solves your problem.
That’s not my issue. The knob just spins and does nothing. The shaft is snapped off. Delivered that way. ETI blew me off with a “sorry take it to a warranty dealer, we can’t help you.” Pisses me off but I get it. I don’t have hours and days to spend arguing with Camping World. I’ve lived with butane lighters for more years than I care to count so guess I just go on that way. Do love the oven but it is a pain to light when you want to bake.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
Old 06-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not trying to let ETI off the hook but the piezo assembly looks to be a $13 part. If rmitch's troubleshooting doesn't work you could buy it and try your hand at installing. I've never done it but I can't imagine it being terribly difficult to replace. It looks like you just need to get underneath the top burner pan as described.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...piezo-igniter/
Thanks for the link. Guess I’ll try replace myself Not as simple as it looks to get there.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
Old 06-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Just one comment regarding the lack of an inverter and coffee... those coffee tea bag things will work OK, but there are endless better ways to do without a plug-in coffee maker. My preferred method is to use a plastic cone with a paper filter that fits over your cup. You can also buy them big enough to fit over a larger, insulated pot if you want to make a big batch. Into the cone and paper filter goes the ground coffee, add hot water heated on your stove, wait for it to run through, and you have a fantastic cup of joe. Easy as pie! You can make it as strong or as weak as you want and use whatever brand you like.

There are also other devices, such camp percolators and French presses, which don't need any type of electricity. I think there is at least one thread on this forum entirely devoted to this topic, so it might be worth reading for ideas that will work for you. Coffee is important, and there's no need to go without a good cup just because you're boondocking!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rita,
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most of your issues have been discussed here previously. The door piston was the first thing I removed from my Escape last year, the issue of manual awnings and awning windows do not mix has been discussed, the PITA manual oven lighting was my reason for never using the oven. The captain lights need warm light bulb replacements, the LED light strip is on a dimmer for bug reasons, the step issue could be a result of your hi-rise axle option. But these are minor irritants, at least you are out camping while most of us are stuck inside reading your posts,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 06-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
We’ve been on the road a month now in new 5.0. Trailer was shipped to us in early May. We have been camping in open states ... sadly ours is not. Currently roaming around TN. So here I’m sharing my thoughts on how we equipped our new camper, glad we did/didn’ts and our satisfaction with the unit.

Love the camper. Tracks perfectly behind truck. If worried about towing with Tundra ... don’t. We have Anderson gooseneck mount and it is awesome. Pin adapter points forward and we have plenty of turning clearance to this point but have not yet experienced complex curves, dips, or turns. High axle a must in my mind.

One problem with getting trailer delivered is you have little recourse on broken things. Things that could be fixed at factory are now essentially my problem and not theirs. Broken cabinet latch and defective bathroom faucet. Also, broken piezo ignition switch on oven cooktop. People in general at ETI do not answer their phones so trying to get action comes down to email. Broken oven has to be dealt with Dometic warranty dealer. Ours is Camping World and they suck. No returned calls there. So for our life with the camper we will be using butane lighter.

Happy camping and be safe.

Escape”d”

Must say that I'm more than a little surprised that ETI wasn't returning your phone calls as they had always returned mine in the past.

As for Camping World and it's reputation for service, it's well deserved. If you bought your trailer from them they give OK service, not great just OK, if you didn't buy from them service does SUCK. They wanted $160 for me to get the trailer back from my warranty serviced water heater. They said I'd get it back once they had been reimbursed. I told them I don't work that way and left the trailer there for three weeks. I called Suburban and found out that they hadn't called it in but that they would gladly pay for the fix under their 2 year warranty. After arguing with several people I got the trailer back free and clear looking at the repair I found that they hadn't used a Suburban switch and placed a generic in there instead. Not the kind of work a company would pay for under warranty. Not going back there if I can avoid it.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Rita,
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most of your issues have been discussed here previously. The door piston was the first thing I removed from my Escape last year, the issue of manual awnings and awning windows do not mix has been discussed, the PITA manual oven lighting was my reason for never using the oven. The captain lights need warm light bulb replacements, the LED light strip is on a dimmer for bug reasons, the step issue could be a result of your hi-rise axle option. But these are minor irritants, at least you are out camping while most of us are stuck inside reading your posts,,,,,,,,,,,
Yes these have been discussed earlier.

We're heavy USB users and ETI added USB/12v on each side of the bed, one USB/12v in the dinette area, and one USB/12v outside by the entry door. We use every one.

We like the 90 degree door, others don't. Had a couple of campers with the friction doors and really disliked those. Don't like a door that you have to open 180 degrees and then have to latch/unlatch either.

We knew about the dinette window that only opens 3/4" when the awning is in and it doesn't bother us. OTOH, it may drive others crazy.

Keep saying we'll add the screen door handle, but after 1 1/2 years and over 270 nights sleeping in the camper still haven't made that switch.

Our only regret was that we put the USB/12v plug underneath the drivers side seat. It needed to go above, in the cabinet next to the refrigerator. I have the USB/12v outlet and will install it when I put in the screen door handle.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the kind replies and the hand slap for posting things talked about before. Thought I stated they prob had been and wasn’t really looking for comments. Those were just my thoughts. Hopefully comments were helpful to some.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi Rita,

Glad you are out camping and that the rig tows well.

"We have pedestal mount table which is awesome but table top still wobbles." If this is the Springfield Pedestal mine wobbled too until I adjusted the two clamps down pretty snug. Open each clamp, tighten the adjusting nut to the point you can't close the clamp. Then back the nut off a 1/2 to 3/4 turn. That should take all the lateral play out of the pedestal.

(Unless your wobble is due to a different cause.)

Happy camping!!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Thought I stated they prob had been and wasn’t really looking for comments. Those were just my thoughts. Hopefully comments were helpful to some.

Have to say, it's weird to post that you don't want comments on a social media forum. That's all I have to say.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Table Top.

Oh! and another trick to get a positive lock on the slider for travel. Get a T-bracket and position it centered on the underside of the tabletop in such a way that the center hole will receive the thumb screw when the table is centered. Attach the T-bracket via the remaining screw holes.

Then for travel, locate the center hole to receive the thumb screw, tighten down and travel worry free.

See picts. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself!)
Attached Thumbnails
6CD889AB-929E-4BF4-B83F-A27073C82F76.jpg   E5022D82-2775-4ED6-9CB4-9942FEF1468E.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Thanks for the kind replies and the hand slap for posting things talked about before. Thought I stated they prob had been and wasn’t really looking for comments. Those were just my thoughts. Hopefully comments were helpful to some.
i would not worry too much about bringing up topics that have been previously discussed on this forum. The forum is kind of like that movie "Groundhog Day" where the guy lives the same day over and over and over again. If this forum prohibited new discussions on previously raised topics, there would be absolutely no discussion at all on any topic and we would all be out camping.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
i would not worry too much about bringing up topics that have been previously discussed on this forum. The forum is kind of like that movie "Groundhog Day" where the guy lives the same day over and over and over again. If this forum prohibited new discussions on previously raised topics, there would be absolutely no discussion at all on any topic and we would all be out camping.
Hi: Dave Walter... "DITTO". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21/ 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4
Received our E21 in March. Trailer was in perfect shape other than being covered with road grime from delivery. Everything inside and out looked good. Nothing broken. Did maiden voyage camping trip in May for a week. NO PROBLEMS WITH TRAILER AT ALL! VERY PLEASED! Can't say enough good about Escape!
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
You would Think ETI would have checked things before shipping. I guess stuff can still happen. They where not willing to send you replacement parts?

When you change the captain lights . Take a look at these with USB ports. I have some coming today.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We are also heavy USB users so I have installed two of these reasonably priced units in the trailer and one in the truck so we can charger while out for a drive away from boondocking.
All explain in this link.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post280825
Attached Thumbnails
6B571255-0699-4434-ABA0-FA9737A607E1.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21NE
As for calls not being answered at ETI, I think some office staff may be working from home during the pandemic, so hence the email availability? I've always had good communication with them...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote