20 Questions about the 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Trailer: none
20 Questions about the 5.0 TA

Hello,

I’m considering purchasing a 5.0 TA. Any help with the following questions will be appreciated!

1. Is it difficult making the bed up in the loft? Have you found any tricks to doing so?

2. Is it tricky to clean the areas on each side of the bed?

3. Is the standard mattress comfortable? And do you have any difficulties with getting in or out?

4. How much outside storage comes standard and are there tricks to increasing outside storage?

5. How much space does the optional “Exterior Access Hatch (Rear Passenger Side)” make accessible from the outside?

6. How much space is taken up by the fifth wheel hitch in the back of the trailer-bed when towing, and have you found a way to still efficiently utilize any of the front or sides of bed? I’m considering getting an 8-foot bed and it would be great to maximize storage in front (or along the sides) of the hitch.

7. How much weight can be put on the bike rack in the back? I might want to put small motorocycle/scooter back there at some point down the road.

8. Has anyone found a good solution to carrying a generator for the fifth wheel?

9. Are both the battery and the propane tanks in the fifth wheel’s exterior front compartment?

10. Any idea why the trailer only has a 5,500 lb GVWR when it has two 3,000 lb axles?

11. Is the roof walk-able for maintenance?

12. Any idea how much the thermal windows, added insulation, sprayed underbelly and A/C might add to the dry weight? What is your dry weight with all your options?

13. Are there any features in the trailer to protect from lightning strikes?

14. I looked at the owner’s manual and it has the typical warning about condensation and extended usage. Have many people successfully full-timed or camped for extended periods in the unit? I’m assuming it to be possible as long as appropriate venting is allowed etc.

15. Do the all the upper cabinets utilize the space all the way to the ceiling or is there wasted space? It appears that there might be wasted space about the fridge.

16. What kind of temperatures might be comfortably camped with and without the added insulation options?

17. Are the kitchen counters residential height? 36 inches?

18. has anyone added awnings to the windows in an escape? It seems like a great way to keep the unit cooler in the summer.

19. Has anyone added shocks to their trailer? …like found in the Arctic Fox, Airstream and Oliver trailers.

20. Overall, how happy have you been with your 5.0TA and do you see the need to upgrade or downgrade down the road?
yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Eric, your profile indicates you are from Florida. Since you choose to list your location as Earth, I have no clue how close you might be to me. I am located approximately 30 miles north of Tampa and you are welcome to view my 5.0TA. Seeing one "in the flesh" will likely answer your questions better than any respondents to your post. PM me if you are interested and I will provide you a phone number to call me.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiyoda View Post
8. Has anyone found a good solution to carrying a generator for the fifth wheel?
The usual practice is to carry the generator in the truck box, although that means some sort of method is likely appropriate to prevent theft..
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Quote:
9. Are both the battery and the propane tanks in the fifth wheel’s exterior front compartment?
The propane is in the lower front compartment. The battery is not - if I recall correctly, it is located the same as in the 21': under the dinette seat (at the back if a U-shaped dinette, curbside otherwise).
Old 03-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
10. Any idea why the trailer only has a 5,500 lb GVWR when it has two 3,000 lb axles?
Axle capacity is only one factor contributing to Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The trailer is designed to carry its own weight plus water and a substantial cargo load suitable for the trailer's purpose... and that worked out to 5,500 pounds. Tandem axle trailers do not necessarily share the load equally between the axles, so the 3,000 pound Gross Axle Weight Rating (per axle) allows for one axle to carry a bit more load than the other.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
11. Is the roof walk-able for maintenance?
No, generally an Escape roof is not intended to support a person... and there is no need to. Much larger RVs, especially those with roof materials that need maintenance, need the roof to be walkable.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

Thanks Carl. I sent you a PM and will gladly take you up your offer! I'm not sure seeing the trailer in person will answer all the questions though.

Anyone with input, please feel free to answer any of the questions above that might not be easily answered by viewing a trailer.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
No, generally an Escape roof is not intended to support a person... and there is no need to. Much larger RVs, especially those with roof materials that need maintenance, need the roof to be walkable.
Thanks for all the replies. Don't the seals around the airconditioner etc still need to be re-caulked? And how do you clean the center roof area?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
19. Has anyone added shocks to their trailer? …like found in the Arctic Fox, Airstream and Oliver trailers.
Probably not.

The current 5.0TA has leaf springs, like the Arctic Fox and Oliver. Steel leaf springs provide very little damping, so some kind of damping is appropriate for best ride and handling. Shock absorbers are the best way to do this, but Escape uses the Dexter E-Z Flex rubber-cushioned equalizer between the springs to smooth and control suspension motion.

The 2017 5.0TA will reportedly change to the Torflex suspension used by all other Escape models (and Airstreams). Airstream is the only manufacturer to offer shock absorbers with Torflex (or similar) suspension in North America, although there have been retrofit kits available and custom modifications have been done by many owners. Escape has never offered shock absorbers, and as far as I know, no Escape owners have added shock absorbers.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Don't the seals around the airconditioner etc still need to be re-caulked? And how do you clean the center roof area?
Re-caulking is relatively infrequent, and can usually be done from the side by leaning in... and leaning on the trailer, without actually standing on it.

Escape uses the MaxxFan power vent; you can remove the vent by removing only four screws, leaving the mounting frame in place. It is then possible to reach up through the vent opening from inside for some work.

A car/RV wash brush on handle reaches the centre, assuming that you have a ladder or platform to stand on so your shoulders are above roof level.

The 5.0TA is the same width as the 21 Foot (although taller, especially at the front) so the experience of Escape 21 Foot owners would also be applicable.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'll answer number 20. Happy, happy, happy and NO don't ever imagine a need to change to anything else
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Yogi, answers I didn't see Brian answer are in red.

Quote:
Hello,
1. Is it difficult making the bed up in the loft? Have you found any tricks to doing so? yes, it's a pain. Best trick I came up with is to let Deb do it.

2. Is it tricky to clean the areas on each side of the bed? What's to clean? it's carpet.

3. Is the standard mattress comfortable? And do you have any difficulties with getting in or out? Sort of comfortable, we've added a 3" latex topper, no problem for us to get in and out, but that's just us.

4. How much outside storage comes standard and are there tricks to increasing outside storage? There is no outside storage, there is storage accessible from outside if that's what you mean. You can get the optional passenger side access door if you want, no tricks that I know of. FYI, we have yet to fill all the trailers storage, even on multiple month trips.

5. How much space does the optional “Exterior Access Hatch (Rear Passenger Side)” make accessible from the outside? With the U dinette, you have full access to the whole area under the passenger side dinette bench. Roughly 18"x18"x36".

6. How much space is taken up by the fifth wheel hitch in the back of the trailer-bed when towing, and have you found a way to still efficiently utilize any of the front or sides of bed? I’m considering getting an 8-foot bed and it would be great to maximize storage in front (or along the sides) of the hitch. I have the 8' bed, I can easily fit all the truck bed stuff between the cab and the hitch. All this storage stuff is totally dependent on how much stuff you feel you need to bring along, we try and travel light.

7. How much weight can be put on the bike rack in the back? I might want to put small motorocycle/scooter back there at some point down the road. 150lbs

8. Has anyone found a good solution to carrying a generator for the fifth wheel? Yes, we have solar and leave the generator at home. We're I to want such I'd put it in the bed of the truck, up by the cab under the trifold tonneau cover.

11. Is the roof walk-able for maintenance? According to ETI, you can NOT walk on it.

12. Any idea how much the thermal windows, added insulation, sprayed underbelly and A/C might add to the dry weight? What is your dry weight with all your options?No idea on the options weight, not concerned. No dry weight listed, I've had it to the scales lightly loaded for travel and it came in at 4400 lbs

13. Are there any features in the trailer to protect from lightning strikes?

14. I looked at the owner’s manual and it has the typical warning about condensation and extended usage. Have many people successfully full-timed or camped for extended periods in the unit? I’m assuming it to be possible as long as appropriate venting is allowed etc. Not fulltiming, too small for us for such. For extended trips we use a dehumidifier, others get by with cracking windows, running the fan, and so forth.

15. Do the all the upper cabinets utilize the space all the way to the ceiling or is there wasted space? It appears that there might be wasted space about the fridge. No wasted space, there is some room above and on the sides of the fridge, enough to insulate the fridge.

16. What kind of temperatures might be comfortably camped with and without the added insulation options? Irregardless of the insulation, we don't camp much below freezing, when it's below freezing we just dry camp. We've been out when it was 100 or so, but went to a powered campground so we could run the Air. Down to about 20 at night a few times. We DO have all the optional insulation's but no heat pads.

17. Are the kitchen counters residential height? 36 inches? I'm going to say yes, as it feels that way, but I've never measured. You could send an email to ETI.

18. has anyone added awnings to the windows in an escape? It seems like a great way to keep the unit cooler in the summer. Not me, but I agree. I did see some home built either here, or over on the fiberglass RV forum.

19. Has anyone added shocks to their trailer? …like found in the Arctic Fox, Airstream and Oliver trailers. Not that I've heard of.

20. Overall, how happy have you been with your 5.0TA and do you see the need to upgrade or downgrade down the road? We're very happy with the fifth wheel. I don't do crystal balls, so don't know what's in the future.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #13

The first 4 posts in this thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-2274.html
Show home-made window awnings by user Tech Fan. We followed the instructions and made them for our Escape and love them. It is an easy job and very effective.
We made them for the 3 windows around the back dinette plus the kitchen. Very convenient and, when let down, made good window blackouts for the night.

One photo shows the back window awning and the other shows just the railing for the awning that covers both the dinette and kitchen window. Had to split the railing because there is a ridge between the two windows, but the awning slides across the little gap with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Awning 6 small.jpg   P1090470.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Re-caulking is relatively infrequent, and can usually be done from the side by leaning in... and leaning on the trailer, without actually standing on it.

Escape uses the MaxxFan power vent; you can remove the vent by removing only four screws, leaving the mounting frame in place. It is then possible to reach up through the vent opening from inside for some work.

A car/RV wash brush on handle reaches the centre, assuming that you have a ladder or platform to stand on so your shoulders are above roof level.

The 5.0TA is the same width as the 21 Foot (although taller, especially at the front) so the experience of Escape 21 Foot owners would also be applicable.
Thanks for all the info!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'll answer number 20. Happy, happy, happy and NO don't ever imagine a need to change to anything else
Good to hear. And nice dance moves
Old 03-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hi Yogi, answers I didn't see Brian answer are in red.
Thanks for all the info! Too bad I can't use your bed making trick; maybe I'll buy a house elf
Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
The first 4 posts in this thread:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-2274.html
Show home-made window awnings by user Tech Fan. We followed the instructions and made them for our Escape and love them. It is an easy job and very effective.
We made them for the 3 windows around the back dinette plus the kitchen. Very convenient and, when let down, made good window blackouts for the night.

One photo shows the back window awning and the other shows just the railing for the awning that covers both the dinette and kitchen window. Had to split the railing because there is a ridge between the two windows, but the awning slides across the little gap with no problem.
Very cool! Do you have to take them off when towing?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
6. How much space is taken up by the fifth wheel hitch in the back of the trailer-bed when towing, and have you found a way to still efficiently utilize any of the front or sides of bed? I’m considering getting an 8-foot bed and it would be great to maximize storage in front (or along the sides) of the hitch.
The space taken by the hitch depends on the specific hitch that you choose, and the system it uses to mount to the truck. Most current hitches occupy a roughly square space about two feet in each direction, centred in the width of the box, and centred under the pin of the trailer. That leaves:
  • some space (depending on box length and hitch location choice) between hitch and truck cab, holding stuff not much taller than the box sides
    This can be a cross-bed storage box, but they are not popular with Escape owners, perhaps because those boxes are often too big for the shorter boxes which can be used with an Escape 5.0 or 5.0TA.
    Some Escape 5.0 or 5.0TA owners use a folding rigid (hard) tonneau cover which is in sections, with the sections folded up while towing. This covers anything carried in front of the hitch, even while towing.
  • a narrow strip down the sides between the hitch and box sides (probably less than a foot wide) holding stuff again not much taller than the box sides
    This is the place for long stuff (ladder? whatever long stuff your hobbies need you to carry), but could also be the forward end of "pork chop" truck boxes which go over the wheel wells and flank the hitch, although they don't use all of the available width.
  • all of the space in the box behind the hitch (which could be as little as two feet of the box length), holding stuff comfortably shorter than the hitch plate height for clearance as the truck is backed under to the trailer to hitch up
    Drawers can be fitted here to make stuff easier to reach, and with some older hitch designs a narrow drawer can even extend forward under the hitch (not likely with current models). Drawers could extend as far forward as you want, in the narrow spaces flanking the hitch.

I think how much space you can effectively use depends on the kind of stuff you are trying to carry, and your ability to reach over the box sides and lift stuff out. Another factor with many light trucks is that even if you have the space, you might not have the payload (cargo weight) capacity to carry what you want, after allowing for the trailer's pin weight, the weight of the hitch, and the weight of passengers in the truck.

The ultimate in storage with a fifth-wheel is a custom body of toolboxes, instead of a stock box... but that is very rarely done with small trucks, and would be very expensive to have custom-made. This is commonly only with the big medium-duty trucks (that don't come with pickup boxes) sometimes used to pull huge fifth-wheels (example: Highwayman RV Hauler)

There was very briefly an unusual configuration of the first-generation Colorado with a side-accessible "mid box", placed between the (standard) cab and (short) box and factory-available from GM. I think this would be a clever fifth-wheel towing setup, but that specific truck was a little small (and is out of production, and rare). Just today I discovered that there was a Ford F-150 mid box as well, which appears to be an aftermarket product from CASECO Truck Body.

I don't think anyone towing an Escape has any of these custom bodies - just carefully chosen portable boxes placed around the hitch.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
The space taken by the hitch depends on the specific hitch that you choose, and the system it uses to mount to the truck. Most current hitches occupy a roughly square space about two feet in each direction, centred in the width of the box, and centred under the pin of the trailer. That leaves:
  • some space (depending on box length and hitch location choice) between hitch and truck cab, holding stuff not much taller than the box sides
    This can be a cross-bed storage box, but they are not popular with Escape owners, perhaps because those boxes are often too big for the shorter boxes which can be used with an Escape 5.0 or 5.0TA.
    Some Escape 5.0 or 5.0TA owners use a folding rigid (hard) tonneau cover which is in sections, with the sections folded up while towing. This covers anything carried in front of the hitch, even while towing.
  • a narrow strip down the sides between the hitch and box sides (probably less than a foot wide) holding stuff again not much taller than the box sides
    This is the place for long stuff (ladder? whatever long stuff your hobbies need you to carry), but could also be the forward end of "pork chop" truck boxes which go over the wheel wells and flank the hitch, although they don't use all of the available width.
  • all of the space in the box behind the hitch (which could be as little as two feet of the box length), holding stuff comfortably shorter than the hitch plate height for clearance as the truck is backed under to the trailer to hitch up
    Drawers can be fitted here to make stuff easier to reach, and with some older hitch designs a narrow drawer can even extend forward under the hitch (not likely with current models). Drawers could extend as far forward as you want, in the narrow spaces flanking the hitch.

I think how much space you can effectively use depends on the kind of stuff you are trying to carry, and your ability to reach over the box sides and lift stuff out. Another factor with many light trucks is that even if you have the space, you might not have the payload (cargo weight) capacity to carry what you want, after allowing for the trailer's pin weight, the weight of the hitch, and the weight of passengers in the truck.

The ultimate in storage with a fifth-wheel is a custom body of toolboxes, instead of a stock box... but that is very rarely done with small trucks, and would be very expensive to have custom-made. This is commonly only with the big medium-duty trucks (that don't come with pickup boxes) sometimes used to pull huge fifth-wheels (example: Highwayman RV Hauler)

There was very briefly an unusual configuration of the first-generation Colorado with a side-accessible "mid box", placed between the (standard) cab and (short) box and factory-available from GM. I think this would be a clever fifth-wheel towing setup, but that specific truck was a little small (and is out of production, and rare). Just today I discovered that there was a Ford F-150 mid box as well, which appears to be an aftermarket product from CASECO Truck Body.

I don't think anyone towing an Escape has any of these custom bodies - just carefully chosen portable boxes placed around the hitch.
Thanks for all the great information! Learned a lot today.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Another question. When did ETI change the layout from the passenger side fridge to the drivers side?
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote