2011 Century Cap Window Shattered - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

2011 Century Cap Window Shattered

Hey ,

I just thought, I would let you all know something. Day before yesterday I was opening my cap window when it was about level with the cap roof it shattered. When I say shattered I mean EXPLOSIVELY SHATTERED at first I ducked and looked around ( Nature Of The Job) then looking at it the window well what was the bottom edge of it was completely shattered all along the bottom frame. It was a frameless rear window, there were pieces of glass on the roof of the cab that is how far forward they went. I had a hat on and when I took it off I was shaking glass pieces off it too.

I did not take pictures lol as all you would see was broken glass every where in small little cubes which by the way is still pretty damn sharp ( Ask Me How I Know) . After cleaning up as much as I could in the parking lot I was in I got my dog out of the crate checked it took a few pieces out of it too. I already had been told when I got the cap to beware of the window if it broke it was very expensive to replace.

Well it turns out yep it is $499.00 according to a dealer who did ask do you have glass insurance .. I have always carried it to many damn rock trucks and such around here. He mentioned most Glass Coverage insurance will pay for a new window even on a cap. I quickly thanked him and called my insurance folks who stated yep they do cover it "WHEW" I pay a hundred they pay the rest and found someone who can do it too. Thanks State Farm!! So word to the wise if you have a cap and do not have glass insurance you might want to think about it.

It is going to take 3 weeks to get a new window though:{ so I will be fabricating an aluminum one Friday to close up the back as I keep a lot of gear in there.

While I was talking to the insurance folks I did ask if the glass coverage extended to the RV and they said yes. I had not thought they would cover a cap nor the RV learn something new every day.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Tempered glass - a good thing, but has its issues!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yeah, they should use laminated glass there -- or maybe acrylic.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, they should use laminated glass there -- or maybe acrylic.
more importantly, why did it shatter?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
more importantly, why did it shatter?
Apparently (at least according to the 100% trustworthy Wikipedia...lol) it's not that rare:

Spontaneous glass breakage is a phenomenon by which toughened glass (or tempered) may spontaneously break without any apparent reason. The most common causes are:

Minor damage during installation such as nicked or chipped edges later developing into larger breaks
Binding of the glass in the frame, causing stresses to develop as the glass expands and contracts due to thermal changes or deflects due to wind
Internal defects within the glass such as nickel sulfide inclusions
Thermal stresses in the glass
Inadequate glass thickness to resist wind load
Old 08-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

Binding of the glass in the frame, causing stresses to develop as the glass expands and contracts due to thermal changes
Tell me about it I built a fireplace with tempered glass panels on 3 sides. One day, after several years of use, I heard a gentle waterfall sound. The fireplace wasn't being used and the glass was at room temperature but it had broken into hundreds of little pieces and dropped to the floor in a heap.

But tempered glass is great stuff. I've used it for so many projects and done things to it where it ~should~ have broken but didn't.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The Wikipedia explanation looks sound to me. We had a car's rear (hatch) window shatter unexpectedly while we were driving (the tint film held it together), and I have heard first-hand reports of sunroofs doing the same.

Laminated glass would avoid this problem, but it is normally used only for windshields.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Hey,

Well best guess from a friend of mine who is an insurance investigator stress caused it based on how far the glass flew etc. Just got a sheet of Alum going to have to fabricate a temp back window since it will be middle of Sept before I get the new window sigh..

Cypher
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Laminated glass is not nearly as strong as tempered glass as it is made up of 2 pieces of 3 mil and a sheet of vinyl. AS1 in which the vinyl is 0.030 thick is used for windshields and AS2 which is 0.015 is used for other applications. Any pressure/stress will cause either of the pieces for glass to run. Tempered is by far the best and strongest glass for side, vent and back glass applications.

Doug
(Retired glazier)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Lets get Reace to investigate :
Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

Hey ,

LOL I think Reace has enough on his plate. But here is the temp door all fabbed up just need to paint it shiny black tomorrow and no one will suspect it isn't a window:}
No lift struts I could not get T3 , T6 hardened Alum locally so did it with 5051 and some angle to stiffen it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0013.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	7589

Name:	NCM_0015.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	7590
Cypher
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
That should work just dandy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #13

A little cut polish and nobody will know the difference!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #14

Done

And done spray bomb painting is the pits but it is passable.

Name:	NCM_0012.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	7599

Cypher