2015 Escape Lost, 2017 Escape Found - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Depends on the state what the requirements may be. I know in Oregon, basically anything that rolls down the highway with ownership needs a Title. And I'm GLAD. A title is a government proof of ownership. We use a Bill of Sale for horses. The problem, nationwide, with a bill of sale is do you KNOW the asset you just bought isn't stolen when you go to get a license plate? We KNOW in Oregon. No title, no license. I wouldn't buy anything in the US where I couldn't get the title. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Interesting. "Sold with a Bill of Sale".... i. e., no title. So then, you buy it and can't license it? Other than camping on your own property, what could you use it for?

I see no signs of warping or damage from the few low res photos in the listing. $13.5K is of course a steal, but not if you can't tow it anywhere.
I have heard this before regarding having title. What exactly does this mean? Why could you not go to the DMV to get one?

Here, to sell and purchase a trailer, you can do two things, sign over the registration slip, or just write up a brief description, with price, names and signature, and this then is the legal document with which you register your trailer with.

And I agree. That is one heck of a steal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Vehicle registrations in Canada are not exactly "titles" (we have those only for real estate), but are effectively the same thing: there is only one registration for a given vehicle, so even if the registration slip is not handed over, you can't get a plate without transferring the registration at a registry agency. Of course no one would buy a road vehicle (motor vehicle or trailer) without transferring the registration as there would be no way to get a license plate and thus no legal way use it without the registration. I like the clarity of this system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
The US is state by state which is frustrating. In Georgia for example, if you have a boat, there is NO title. They register it with the bill of sale. Then when it sells out of state (to a state that requires a title) the new owners state BMV looks up and sees it came from Georgia (a titleless state) and issues you a title from the bill of sale. Alabama may be the same, meaning you could possibly title this 5.0TA. Not sure if the state trying to title it would find the prior salvage and nix it all. Hope that all makes sense!

Maybe the OP could shed some light on how much water was on (in) this RV or post a pic.
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have heard this before regarding having title. What exactly does this mean? Why could you not go to the DMV to get one?

Here, to sell and purchase a trailer, you can do two things, sign over the registration slip, or just write up a brief description, with price, names and signature, and this then is the legal document with which you register your trailer with.

And I agree. That is one heck of a steal.
The problem is that a Certificate of Destruction was issued relating to that VIN. In such a case you can't even apply for a salvaged title. The trailer is deemed to have been destroyed, and if it's not, that's a violation of the certificate. Perhaps you could manage a way to get a new VIN as a "homebuilt" or project trailer, but that's a stretch if not impossible in most states.

There were really two choices. Destroy the trailer and obtain a COD, or preserve and repair the trailer, noting its salvaged due to flood damage. In the latter case, a salvaged title is allowed. In the former, (as far as my experience and knowledge of registration from years in law enforcement tells me) it is not.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #26

Makes better sense to me now, Robert.

I imagine then, that the previous owner got a full payout for it. Without inspecting it in person, one would certainly think this was not the right call, but imagine the insurance company was more used to dealing with stick built trailers in the same situation, which wouldn't have faired near so well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
The information regarding water/flood damage and Certificate of Destruction came from what appears to be a closed auction. I actually couldn't open the page as the auction was closed. Without actually being able to open the page and see the details, I guess that verbiage could apply to another VIN number. Who knows....
There is a lot of speculation going on. We don't know anything for certain.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
There is a lot of speculation going on. We don't know anything for certain.
That's true. Without running the VIN using the system the DMV used, it's hard to verify the title status.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
... Perhaps you could manage a way to get a new VIN as a "homebuilt" or project trailer, but that's a stretch if not impossible in most states.
Although presumably not legal and certainly not ethical, if one removed the placards (anything with a VIN or a certification) and "Escape" lettering I'll bet that most DMV people wouldn't recognize it... and would be impressed by your custom fiberglass work and interior finishing!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I agree! And not only that, while certainly not moral, nor legal, I would assume one could use the current license plates and registration off of their tandem axle utility trailer (I used to have a 16'er to carry firewood) and go camping for years or decades to come with no issues!

Its much harder to tell what tags goes on a trailer than say your white Camaro running around with your wife's blue Mustang tags.

Not saying I would do that, nor that one should consider it, but just sayin.....

Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscarab View Post
I agree! And not only that, while certainly not moral, nor legal, I would assume one could use the current license plates and registration off of their tandem axle utility trailer (I used to have a 16'er to carry firewood) and go camping for years or decades to come with no issues!

Its much harder to tell what tags goes on a trailer than say your white Camaro running around with your wife's blue Mustang tags.

Not saying I would do that, nor that one should consider it, but just sayin.....

Hi: jwscarab... This could be one instance where different rules in different states works to the insurance company's advantage. They seem to be able to do things with impunity and certainly don't want to suffer a complete loss on this flood victim. Definitely a case for "BUYER BE WARE". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
One could most likely get this titled if they really worked at it. My concern knowing the history would be mold. There Is no way to get under the sub floor between the shell to inspect or treat without completely rebuilding the trailer. Certain types of mold can really make you very sick if exposed to it as you would be in a camper. Your health would not be worth "a deal"
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #33

While I would certainly check it out for mould, but don't imagine if it was dried out it would be too bad. The plywood floor is set in resin on the bottom of the shell, and has a layer of vinyl on top, so not too likely to be mouldy there. Not much for food there for the spores to grow.

Quote:
Mold spores are everywhere, and they grow on any organic surface, given the right conditions. For growth, they require organic matter for food, moisture, warmth, and oxygen. To prevent mold growth, keep all surfaces clean and dry, and provide plenty of ventilation.
Most moulds I have dealt with that have been harmful, are ones where there is a constant presence of moisture, over a length of time. I see lots of structures that get wet, and when allowed to dry out, are not bad at all. We had that terrible flooding here 3 1/2 years ago, and I redid a few basements that were flood damaged. Some we stripped right out because the basements fully filled with water. Others that had up to a foot or so, we just stripped out everything affected from the 2' level down.

Like I said, I would check it out, but would bet it could easily be remedied, and salvaged.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #34

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Bill of sale

I have built a few cars from parts and was able to title the vehicle, at times I had to bond it to protect the state. This was in several western states. At one time people were using a bill of sale from a state that did not have titles. My first exposure was a near new VW camper that had only a bill of sale from New York, they accepted my check which I immediately told the bank to hold it until I checked with CA DMV. DMV said that it was correct and they really didn't like it but I owned the VW. I believe Alabama was one of the states that allowed a bill of sale at that time.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While I would certainly check it out for mould, but don't imagine if it was dried out it would be too bad. I see lots of structures that get wet, and when allowed to dry out, are not bad at all.
That's not been my experience with mould. My mould issue in the trailer shows that mould can flourish even when the wood hasn't been flooded and can exist even when the wood is bone dry.

This is, was, the rear wall of my fridge baffle. My theory is that the 1/8" plywood forming the baffle was contaminated before installation as the other pieces of plywood nearby didn't have mould growth on them. Just being exposed to moist air seems to be adequate to keep the mould flourishing.

My concern about this trailer is the walls are hollow, impossible to clean and mould could be growing on the hidden areas. I hope any prospective owner opens up a hidden area and checks for mould.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4080034_resize.JPG   IMGP0260_resize.JPG   IMGP0279_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Based on the graphics color and custom fabric, I'm pretty sure my wife and I toured that camper at Gulf Shores State Park in Alabama within the past year or so. If that's the same one, I believe the couple was either from Louisiana headed to Florida, or visa versa, to visit family. Nice, outgoing couple. He gave me a business card so we could stay in contact, and I think I sent him a "thank you" by private message on one of the rv forums. I'll have to see if I can track him down, see if that's their camper and what the deal is, if he'll share.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Based on the graphics color and custom fabric, I'm pretty sure my wife and I toured that camper at Gulf Shores State Park in Alabama within the past year or so. If that's the same one, I believe the couple was either from Louisiana headed to Florida, or visa versa, to visit family. Nice, outgoing couple. He gave me a business card so we could stay in contact, and I think I sent him a "thank you" by private message on one of the rv forums. I'll have to see if I can track him down, see if that's their camper and what the deal is, if he'll share.
Hey Mark, So I guess this is the same 5.0TA that you and your wife toured me and my wife through at Gulf Shores State Park back in May (sorry for the confusion, your different account names between the two forums threw me). Beautiful camper, such a shame it got flooded. If it truly isn't licenseable any longer, but still livable, it could very well end up on cinder blocks in the Alabama/Georgia backwoods as a high-class fiberglass hunting/fishing cabin. Not a bad fate, given the alternative of destruction.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
My mold experience has been more in line to Ron's. One of the big factors is that the areas that this trailer has been and still is located in is a very wet climate and nothing dries out down there. Mold could be very prolific in this trailer due to it being underwater for a period of time and very difficult to eradicate or get to. Even in Phoenix, where it is dry, we've had buildings condemned for toxic mold growth and families put in hospitals. Not something you want to mess around with. There is some testing that can be done prior to purchasing it that can determine if there is mold present, but it will cost around $1000 for a reputable testing company.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I would really wonder even though the trailer looks fine now, how many troubles are going to start with it a few months later. Kind of like those flood cars that get sold. Ok at first, but later the problems start to show up. Wouldn't most of the electrical need to be replaced? Caveat emptor. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Notwithstanding mold, or other issues arising from being flooded, there is no reason why some enterprising person could not gut the trailer to the interior shell and start afresh. I know that if given an opportunity to buy a 5.0TA shell at a bargain price, I would go for it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote