20th Anniversary of 9/11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
20th Anniversary of 9/11

Tomorrow morning marks the 20th Anniversary of the attack on the United States of America.

I was ironing my shirt and watching TV getting ready for a day of sales calls in Orlando, FL. It was a beautiful sunny morning.

I heard the NBC announcer talking about a plane crash in NYC. I looked up and saw the 2nd plane fly into the World Trade Center.

NEVER FORGET!

NEVER FORGET THOSE WHO WERE LOST!

NEVER FORGET WHO DID THIS!

NEVER FORGET!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Tomorrow morning marks the 20th Anniversary of the attack on the United States of America.

I was ironing my shirt and watching TV getting ready for a day of sales calls in Orlando, FL. It was a beautiful sunny morning.

I heard the NBC announcer talking about a plane crash in NYC. I looked up and saw the 2nd plane fly into the World Trade Center.

NEVER FORGET!

NEVER FORGET THOSE WHO WERE LOST!

NEVER FORGET WHO DID THIS!

NEVER FORGET!
I watched it live in NY harbor about 3 miles away...Surreal because the twin towers were such a large part of the city landscape.. We knew the world changed when second plane hit.... Unbelievable when towers collapsed..
Old 09-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We were living in an Eskimo village on the Bering Sea. Everything comes in or out on small bush planes and the gravel runway. So, when all flights got grounded for a week and a half, we went right back to complete self sufficiency. You sure didn’t want to get hurt because there was no way to fly to the hospital.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I watched it happen - (!) was on Route 3 in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
WTC.jpg  
Old 09-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
My wife's birthday.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
A name I was shocked to read was one of the fatalities on 9/11 soon after that terrible day was Rick Rescorla. The name rung a bell. Then I realized I remembered him from the book, We Were Soldiers Once…and Young, along with the subsequent Mel Gibson film (the book is an excellent read). For those unfamiliar, Rick Rescorla distinguished himself in the Battle of Ia Drang, the first major U.S. conflict of the Viet Nam War. He was a hero then, but he would do more. He later became Director of Security for Dean Witter/Morgan Stanley, headquartered in the World Trade Center. He warned of the 1993 truck bombing of the WTC, but his calls for increased security were ignored. After the bombing, Rick Rescorla recommended the company move out of the WTC, believing it was still a target. His recommendation was turned down because of the lease agreement. He then implemented a robust emergency evacuation program at Morgan Stanley which included surprise fire drills that he timed with a stopwatch. When the first plane struck Tower 1 on September 11th, Rick Rescorla ignored WTC security messages over the speakers in Tower 2 directing everyone to remain at their desks. He began an immediate evacuation. The second plane struck his tower in the midst of that evacuation. He calmly directed everyone down the flights of stairs and got most of the 2,700 people out. He was out too. To make sure that all of his people made it to safety, he went back in. The building collapsed. This man was born in England, but what an American hero he became. R.I.P., Cyril Richard Rescorla.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
No doubt many Canadians are not aware of the memorial to the 27 Canadian citizens who died on 9/11. It is very well done with a plaque with name and details of where in the towers they worked or on which plane. It's on Lake Ontario in St. Catharines.

https://voicescenter.org/living-memo...es-911-walkway

That is not the right photo in that link, I realised there's not the "right" flags. Here's a screen shot of part of the memorial
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 2.07.42 PM.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Several years after that awful day I read an interesting bit of trivia that was buried deep inside a Washington Post article about the event: Many of us remember the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake that wrecked much of San Francisco, and many of us remember seeing the photo of the car teetering over a section of the Bay Bridge that had collapsed. The driver escaped unharmed.

Well, guess where the driver of that car was working on 9/11/01? Yep-- he was working in the WTC. But he survived the attack because he was out on a business call that day.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Never forget, true. But what did we learn?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Never forget, true. But what did we learn?
We learned that the people in the USA are completely capable of pulling together when it's for the common interest.
Attached Thumbnails
9-11.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I watched it happen - (!) was on Route 3 in NJ.
My sister was on the ferry from Jersey City when the first plane hit. They were hit with light debris and she even has papers that came out of one of the towers. The ferry didn’t want to land in NY so it stayed out in the Hudson. She watched the second plane hit. Still haunts her to this day.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We learned that the people in the USA are completely capable of pulling together when it's for the common interest.
Doesn't seem to be working now to beat Covid 19.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
The cost was roughly 3000 lives, This past week we lost 1500 a day each day for 10,500. The people that can correct this seem to not care.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
The cost was roughly 3000 lives, This past week we lost 1500 a day each day for 10,500. The people that can correct this seem to not care.
Please be careful. This is not a COVID debate. If it devolves into one, the thread will be closed. Fair warning.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #15

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Please be careful. This is not a COVID debate. If it devolves into one, the thread will be closed. Fair warning.
Thank you!

I started this post as a way to share our memories from that day!

NEVER FORGET!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
You are correct, my bad!
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Doesn't seem to be working now to beat Covid 19.

Damn, you a mean one Mr. Grinch
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RIP all.
Attached Thumbnails
WTCB.jpg  
Old 09-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2021 5.0TA
9/11

Late on reply, behind in reading.

I spent most of my days after 9/11 either sitting in alert facilities or planning deployments to operate from civil airfields with loaded jets. For a guy trained as a cold warrior who was wondering about operational purpose and focus with a fighter squadron, it certainly answered the question definitively.

Plug for Joe Pfeifer's book "Ordinary Heroes" just out. Pfeifer was the first FDNY battalion commander at the WTC. Heard him speak on a crisis leadership course this year, and I couldn't put the book down.
sameo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
A name I was shocked to read was one of the fatalities on 9/11 soon after that terrible day was Rick Rescorla. The name rung a bell. Then I realized I remembered him from the book, We Were Soldiers Once…and Young, along with the subsequent Mel Gibson film (the book is an excellent read). For those unfamiliar, Rick Rescorla distinguished himself in the Battle of Ia Drang, the first major U.S. conflict of the Viet Nam War. He was a hero then, but he would do more. He later became Director of Security for Dean Witter/Morgan Stanley, headquartered in the World Trade Center. He warned of the 1993 truck bombing of the WTC, but his calls for increased security were ignored. After the bombing, Rick Rescorla recommended the company move out of the WTC, believing it was still a target. His recommendation was turned down because of the lease agreement. He then implemented a robust emergency evacuation program at Morgan Stanley which included surprise fire drills that he timed with a stopwatch. When the first plane struck Tower 1 on September 11th, Rick Rescorla ignored WTC security messages over the speakers in Tower 2 directing everyone to remain at their desks. He began an immediate evacuation. The second plane struck his tower in the midst of that evacuation. He calmly directed everyone down the flights of stairs and got most of the 2,700 people out. He was out too. To make sure that all of his people made it to safety, he went back in. The building collapsed. This man was born in England, but what an American hero he became. R.I.P., Cyril Richard Rescorla.
'Hard Core' Lt Rescorla retired a bull Colonel. He was the man pictured on the cover of the book 'We were Soldiers' .

Joey Galloway, who was the reporter who was there and wrote about Ia Drang recently died. He also wrote about the Gulf Wars, covering the 1st Cav'

SgtMaj Basil Plumley also recently died. He was Lt Col Moore's SgtMaj in the 1st of the 7th. 'Custers Own' He Jumped at Anzio, Normandy, Market Garden and Inchon. He could be very 'short' with his men.

His favorite toast when having a 'cool one' , "Here's to us and those like us, Ain't many of us left"

He was often asked for interviews about the action in Ia Drang but never did a single one. He retired to Columbus, GA. Home to Ft Benning. Home of the Infantry.