21' Bed at 54" X ? vs 19' 60' X 80" Queen Bed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
One of my favorite things, I’m tired and sleeping but awakened by rain on the Escape. Man I love that sound. It’s not as good as a Tin roof but a close second.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
One of my favorite things, I’m tired and sleeping but awakened by rain on the Escape. Man I love that sound. It’s not as good as a Tin roof but a close second.
Iowa Dave
I am looking forward to that sound, sleep or no sleep!! I've spent all of my camping life thus far in a tent. Although the sound of rain on a tent is nice, worry accompanies it. Such as, is the tent going to leak?? If it does, I have a down bag, will the bag get wet?? Even if it doesn't, crap it's raining, now the inevitable nighttime potty run becomes a really unpleasant ordeal. Plus a rainy next day and a wet tent to deal with if the sun doesn't come out can really get old. Rain that extends for multiple days is a reason to break camp and leave. This is one of many reasons I'm really looking forward to my future in an RV!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have to admit the first time I camped in Ten Forward in the rain, it was a bit startling in the middle of the night. Of course my ears are closer to the roof since it's a 5er... and the big vent is.. right there. But like lots of things, once I knew exactly what it was, it was and is easy to ignore it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I am looking forward to that sound, sleep or no sleep!! I've spent all of my camping life thus far in a tent. Although the sound of rain on a tent is nice, worry accompanies it. Such as, is the tent going to leak?? If it does, I have a down bag, will the bag get wet?? Even if it doesn't, crap it's raining, now the inevitable nighttime potty run becomes a really unpleasant ordeal. Plus a rainy next day and a wet tent to deal with if the sun doesn't come out can really get old. Rain that extends for multiple days is a reason to break camp and leave. This is one of many reasons I'm really looking forward to my future in an RV!!
Pretty much our sentiments. It's very nice to be high and dry when it's really storming out. Our days of dealing with the tent in such weather are long gone. Add to that the comfort of heat when it's cold and AC when it's hot.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I live in the Pacific NorthWET. Shoot it's raining and blowing right now. I no longer need to schedule my camping trips around just good weather. I can schedule months in advance. Isn't that grand
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Iowa Dave
Yah, I used to love being in a warm bed listening to the rain beat down.

Now I wonder if the roof is going to leak. Must be getting old.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Currently in the process of deciding on the right trailer for us and heavily leaning towards the 19, but my biggest hesitation is the inevitable crawl-over in the middle of the night. I'm the world's lightest sleeper, so I'm starting to think the 21 would be no better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
...and AC when it's hot.
Not sure of when and where you are planning on camping, but if you are a very light sleeper a major consideration should be the noise of the A/C. I would get in each trailer and listen to them running. The stock Dometic overhead units are quite loud. I solved the problem with a custom mini-split installation that is super quiet, but I acknowledge this is more than most people want to take on especially if it’s a brand new trailer.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have A/C, but often have to run the furnace at night when we camp. The thermostat is two feet above my head, so I would wake when it switches on with a loud click. Then I would wait to hear the furnace run through the cycle, the fan, the flame. I finally replaced the thermostat with a simple, non-programmable digital thermostat. Yet to see if that helps me sleep through.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
And I wear ear plugs every night so I don't hear those things...
We have a 17 and often sleep apart at both ends of the trailer--with the earplugs I don't hear if he gets up to P..even though it is right by my head...

The things you do to make sure you sleep well...
Old 02-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
Folks,

When comparing a 19' vs 21'
For two people sleeping in a 21'
How easy is it to slip out of the bed to go potty and not disturb your partner?

Compared to the 19' queen sitting across the width of the trailer dims of 60" X 80" - I think?
Obviously, when one needs to get out of the 19' bed it's a climb over.
or
You both are getting up together!

Cheers,
Ours is a 19. I sleep against the wall, hubby (who hardly ever has to use the bathroom at night) on kitchen side. I have to say, since we tried sleeping both ways, heads passenger side and heads driver side, the crawl over is way easier when sleeping heads driver side. This due to the fact that the "bed escape" is more where the upper legs of hubby are. When sleeping with our heads passenger side, I always had to "hurdle" the hip area. And when crawl back in, I always first find out the position of his legs to NOT put one of my knees on his. (Did that once......)
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
This due to the fact that the "bed escape" is more where the upper legs of hubby are. When sleeping with our heads passenger side, I always had to "hurdle" the hip area. And when crawl back in, I always first find out the position of his legs to NOT put one of my knees on his. (Did that once......)
Nice visual, Marry! Thanks for the chuckle!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote