21' Bed at 54" X ? vs 19' 60' X 80" Queen Bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
21' Bed at 54" X ? vs 19' 60' X 80" Queen Bed

Folks,

When comparing a 19' vs 21'
For two people sleeping in a 21'
How easy is it to slip out of the bed to go potty and not disturb your partner?

Compared to the 19' queen sitting across the width of the trailer dims of 60" X 80" - I think?
Obviously, when one needs to get out of the 19' bed it's a climb over.
or
You both are getting up together!

Cheers,
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
Folks,

When comparing a 19' vs 21'
For two people sleeping in a 21'
How easy is it to slip out of the bed to go potty and not disturb your partner?

Compared to the 19' queen sitting across the width of the trailer dims of 60" X 80" - I think?
Obviously, when one needs to get out of the 19' bed it's a climb over.
or
You both are getting up together!

Cheers,
Well, I'm only one person sleeping in a 21, but I have to say it probably isn't all that much better than the 19, at least if you use the standard sheets & blankets method of bed making.

The problem with the 21 is you have to somehow slide down enough of the covers to get your feet out, then slide down to the bottom to get out. Probably going to cause as much discomfort to your partner as climbing over them in a 19. There is an advantage with both beds to decide who is most likely to get up in the middle of the night & put that person on the side away from the outside wall.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
Thanks Jon,

That's about as good an answer as I can hope for.
I hadn't considered your point of getting ones feet clear of the
bed sheets.
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Have had and used them both. In the 19, Rita said get up, I got up. I have no problem going right back to sleep anywhere. It’s a gift. In the 21 I sleep against the bath wall side. She slides out the bottom if need be and so do I. We are not small people and the 21 bed works fine for us. I was skeptical but when we were at Escape to get some service on the 19 last spring, we tried the 21 and agreed that its bed would work. Little did we know we’d be buying a used 21 and selling the 19 a couple months later. But, that’s the benefit of trailer tours, factory or otherwise. We encourage couples to try our bed if they have questions or want to see how they fit. I will admit that two guys needled me last summer by saying “I was in your bed with your wife” and “I showed your wife my drawers” but that happens when you make friends with scoundrels.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Our last trailer had the same bed configuration as the 19. Since it is a nightly requirement for each of us we just make it a team effort and go at the same time.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Both beds probably have their getting up issues in the middle of the night which I guess is why some mfgrs offer twin beds.
If you come from the smaller beds like a Scamp etc, one thing we’ve noticed is that with the real queen mattress in the 19 there is quite a bit of mattress to put your knee on as you go over. In the smaller beds you would have to go over and get your leg all the way to the floor. We can actually do the over n out in the 19 without waking the other because of the knee space.
If you are a light sleepers I don’t think either bed, 19 or 21 you won’t wake up the other, scoot or over.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Both beds probably have their getting up issues in the middle of the night which I guess is why some mfgrs offer twin beds.
If you come from the smaller beds like a Scamp etc, one thing we’ve noticed is that with the real queen mattress in the 19 there is quite a bit of mattress to put your knee on as you go over. In the smaller beds you would have to go over and get your leg all the way to the floor. We can actually do the over n out in the 19 without waking the other because of the knee space.
If you are a light sleepers I don’t think either bed, 19 or 21 you won’t wake up the other, scoot or over.
Currently in the process of deciding on the right trailer for us and heavily leaning towards the 19, but my biggest hesitation is the inevitable crawl-over in the middle of the night. I'm the world's lightest sleeper, so I'm starting to think the 21 would be no better. Also I like the 19' bed in the back, rather than front, assuming we'll be backing the trailer in to most campsites, the bed will be AWAY from others driving in and out of the campground... again, the curse of being a bad sleeper, you have to consider stuff like this. Perhaps hubby and I can practice the over n out technique and perfect it over time, we've certainly done it many times in our tent over the years. Really like the idea of a full queen in the 19 as well, even though we're not large people I like my space, for sure!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I sleep next to the wall in both our EggCamper (crawl over) and our Escape 21' (slide in/out the bottom end). We both prefer the "mechanics" of the 21'. Also, I tend to go to bed later than my wife, and it's much less disruptive to her sleep for me to slide into bed in the 21' later in the evening. My feet have never had a problem figuring out what to do in either camper.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Ending the crawl-over is one of the primary reasons we went with the 21. As I'm more apt to get up at night I sleep next to the bath; with the cut corner of the 21 bed, that's an advantage as I can swing over and get my feet on the floor before standing.

Either way, a motion sensing light in the bath minimizes the brightness the other person endures when one has to go.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Does anyone sleep heads out (towards the back) in a 21? We have one on order and that is our plan because my wife is claustrophobic.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Ending the crawl-over is one of the primary reasons we went with the 21. As I'm more apt to get up at night I sleep next to the bath; with the cut corner of the 21 bed, that's an advantage as I can swing over and get my feet on the floor before standing.

Either way, a motion sensing light in the bath minimizes the brightness the other person endures when one has to go.
We installed one of these with velcro under the sink in our 19 last May.
So far we have been happy with it. It has enough light to light up the area and the color supposedly does not mess with your sleep.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As far as crawling over each other I sleep on the outside since I'm the one who tends to get up at night.
Attached Thumbnails
61zWntNkk-L._SL1000_.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
Does anyone sleep heads out (towards the back) in a 21? We have one on order and that is our plan because my wife is claustrophobic.
The side window by the 21 bed is really long; might have her try sleeping on that side, too.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Not us. We're more "cave dwellers" and like it head forward. Seems it would take a good bit of flexibility to go in feet first, especially the one against the wall. Might be a bit easier if both are in sleeping bags or one big sleeping bag for two so you don't have to tuck in the sheets at a forward-located foot of the bed.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If I slept the other way around and as much as I thrash around, I'd constantly be picking my pillow up off the floor.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I hard wired a small red led and leave it on in the bathroom. The light operates normal, but when off there is a red glow which helps at night. Eliminates that "deer in the head light" look or the " where were you at 10:30 pm last night", look?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We had a Casita with crawl over bed. ONE of many reasons we sold it after a year in favor of the 21. I'm 6'4" and can get out of outside position with minimal disturbance of the wife.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Decide whether the need to crawl over your partner is a bigger issue than the bed being close to the door. Then, go with that. Personally, we love the bed location in the 19 and don't care for the 21 layout, but that's entirely a personal thing. Our ideal layout is a 5.0TA, but we're not ready to give up all that cargo space in the truck bed with a nice tonneau cover on it.

Once you've figured out whether it's a 21 or a 19, there are other considerations besides layout - like your tow. Make sure it's up to task.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Decide whether the need to crawl over your partner is a bigger issue than the bed being close to the door. Then, go with that. Personally, we love the bed location in the 19 and don't care for the 21 layout, but that's entirely a personal thing. Our ideal layout is a 5.0TA, but we're not ready to give up all that cargo space in the truck bed with a nice tonneau cover on it.

Once you've figured out whether it's a 21 or a 19, there are other considerations besides layout - like your tow. Make sure it's up to task.
We bought a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4X4 crew cab long bed with the Duramax about a month ago. Happened upon a new one sitting on the dealer lot, and they made an offer that was ridicuously low. We could not say no. Absolutely love the truck so far, incredibly comfortable, great mpg, and even on the worst unplowed roads it has performed great this winter. I think it would be an excellent tow for a 19 or a 21, but the lower weight and cost of the 19 is a big selling point. Of course the spatiousness of the 21 is appealing, but the smaller bed combined with it being in the front of the trailer is not. I'm such a bad sleeper I'm not sure it matters how the bed is arranged, if someone gets up I'll be getting up too, or at least waking up. Many things to consider!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You can always put the table down in the 21
And have two very spacious beds. Only takes a couple minutes. Double sleeping mat over the cushions, stored on the full time bed during the day, pretty nice.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'll just throw this out there, since you mentioned you're a very light sleeper and easily awakened. Fiberglass trailers in general do not provide the same level of quiet inside as the stick built ones do. That's mainly because the fiberglass shell is the wall, and with just a bit of insulation and vinyl on the interior side. Stick built trailers on the other hand have insulated walls with "studs", a metal or fiberglass exterior sheet and an interior wall board. This makes the exterior wall thicker, and the interior quieter. They're not as quiet as a house of course, but they are generally quieter than a fiberglass trailer. The exceptions are the double hulled fiberglass trailers like the Oliver, the Armadillo, and the new Parkliner.

Because single hull fiberglass trailers don't do quite as good a job of insulating from noise as their stick built counterparts, I doubt that the bed being in the front or the back of the trailer would make any real difference with the noise. If you've never been through a heavy rainstorm in a fiberglass trailer in the middle of the night, you'll be surprised at just how loud it is.

We generally have no trouble sleeping so it's not a factor to us - just pointing it out.