21 NE and 21 C - In/Out of Bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 NE on order - May 2021 delivery
21 NE and 21 C - In/Out of Bed

We have put in a deposit for a new build 21 NE. Someone mentioned getting in and out of the bed (two adults) can be awkward so we're looking for comments from folks with experience with this floor plan. The 21 C of course seems to have a simpler ingress/egress......but we prefer to have the dinette area to the right. Appreciate insights from those with experience.
achenlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Everyone will have their preference and I'm sure for them that theirs is right. For me and my wife we chose the 21C because as the years continue to pass the crawl over in the night will be less and less favorable. It's simple for me to slide out the end of the bed so for us we like the classic layout. Be assured that what ever you choose it will be right for you.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We had the crawl over style bed in both our Scamp & Casita and as we got older we found it becoming a bigger and bigger PITA .
The bed layout was one of the main reasons we went with an Escape 21 C
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21C
Everyone has different priorities, and there is no one right answer. But for us the 21C offered four major advantages:
  • No crawling over each other.
  • Dinette in the back (where the views normally are).
  • Greater counter space.
  • More accessible storage.

The 21NE is essentially a 19 with a larger dinette. For just the two of us we prefer the smaller dinette and more kitchen space.
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I initially wanted to go with the 21C, and the crawl-over decision was a large part of the reason why. However, the fact that we regularly have 4 people sleeping swayed me to the 21NE. The 4' width of the dinette is smaller than I am comfortable with for both sleeping and seating 4 full size people on a regular basis. But I didn't give up completely on the crawl-over question.

My tent trailer requires a crawl-over, but the bed is 8' long and has almost 5' of open space on the side. I find it's not too bad to skooch down to my wife's feet and cross there. I figured if I could get Escape to swap the layout to have the bed at the front, it would make for better access. (Plus I would prefer the dinette at the rear for looking out the window.) Escape would not reverse the layout, but I did get them to make the rear into a dinette, too. I will try out this layout for awhile, but my longer term plan is to make a permanent bed up front. It will be not be queen sized, but we are used to sleeping on a 54" double bed, and find it adequate for us.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 21NE March 2021
achenlives: VERY small world! We recently placed our deposit for the 21' NE....and...wait for it...we live in Healdsburg!
Attempted to send you a private message but I think due to our junior status on this forum, unable to do so. We should get hold of Escape and tell them it is ok for them to exchange our email/phone numbers. Would enjoy meeting with you to discuss the 21 NE and 21 C.
Rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had the 19' and enjoyed the queen bed; however, I slept near the wall and climbing out over my husband was getting old. While the climbing over wasn't too bad, it was trying to reach the floor after climbing over. I'm 5'4" on a good day and the height of the bed from the floor meant that I had to really stretch to get my toes down on the floor before I slid off the bed to make a not-so-graceful landing (and add the extra inches of a body in there as my husband tends to sleep through everything). After purchasing the 21, neither one of us has missed the queen bed and we certainly don't miss climbing over one another. But, to each his own. Oh, and we don't mind the bed being in the front when we come in the trailer. We're camping after all ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
I keep trying to picture this crawl over. We have a 17 and I sleep on the outside. When my husband needs to get up, I get up and let him out. After he is done, I usually make a pit stop and then get back into bed. No crawling. Seems like you would be awakened anyway.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
I keep trying to picture this crawl over. We have a 17 and I sleep on the outside. When my husband needs to get up, I get up and let him out. After he is done, I usually make a pit stop and then get back into bed. No crawling. Seems like you would be awakened anyway.
We did the same on the 19. I’m fortunate in that I can fall back asleep in about 5 Minutes Tops unless it’s near morning, then I just get up. On nice mornings I’ll go outside and set in my camp chair and often go back to sleep there. People probably assume I passed out there and was out all night. Which is entirely possible.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-13-2020, 12:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We've had our 21c for almost 5 years now. When we replace our trailer we will likely get another 21c with all the latest bells and whistles. One feature of the front bed that I never see mentioned is that the bed is easier to make. You can pull the mattress off the bed towards the nightstand to provide access to the head of the bed. The mattress isn't jammed between the walls and the cabinets like the other models (except for the 5.0 of course).
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We picked the 21C because of the bed layout. As we've gotten older we get up 2-3 times some nights and just didn't want to crawl over each other or as some say get out of bed. I rarely know when my wife gets up or her me when I get up. I sometimes have a hard time going back to sleep so it's bad enough when I wake for me, if I woke every time she did i'd never get any sleep. Hopefully we will be comfortable in the smaller bed. Our 21C won't be ready until Feb. The largest bathroom and biggest kitchen are just a bonus for us because it was all about the bed layout. Everyone is different and it's great to have all the choices Escape offers so pick what's comfortable to you.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21NE
We enjoy sitting in bed late with coffee, watching the view out the back window - everyone is different! So we chose the 21NE. Plus, it makes it a 'bedroom in the back' versus having the bed right in the entry...this way someone can stay in bed sleeping while the other goes about their biz and enters & exits without disturbing them.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikster View Post
achenlives: VERY small world! We recently placed our deposit for the 21' NE....and...wait for it...we live in Healdsburg!
Hey, my sister lives on Dry Creek Road!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
We've found that no matter what, sleep is disturbed by our 80 pound Shep/Husk cross who has found that sleeping between us at the foot of the bed is preferred by him to being on a dog bed elsewhere, be it at home or in our 21NE.

So a crawl over by my much slimmer, better looking and lovely wife is a very minor disturbance compared to Gunner "chasing rabbits" in the middle of the night.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We had the 19' and enjoyed the queen bed; however, I slept near the wall and climbing out over my husband was getting old. While the climbing over wasn't too bad, it was trying to reach the floor after climbing over. I'm 5'4" on a good day and the height of the bed from the floor meant that I had to really stretch to get my toes down on the floor before I slid off the bed to make a not-so-graceful landing
This is the primary reason we sold our 19' in favor of our 5.0. Many talk about the "crawl over" but not the height of the bed in the 19' and 21NE. The bed is higher because all the escapes have a raised frame / floor in the rear for bumper clearance when the road grade changes such as exiting a driveway, etc. The top of the bed is just below waist high vs the normal knee hight of a typical home bed. Makes for a long drop in the middle of the night for shorter folks.

Even though the 5.0 bed is at the top of some stairs, it is still much easier to access via the foot of the bed without disturbing one's partner.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 21'NE
Like many have said, it's a matter of preference. We choose the NE because we wanted the queen bed, and didn't love the bed in front. We've been out 22 days total now, and have no issues with the 'crawl over' concept. It helps that I sleep on the inside, rarely get up at night, and am almost always the last up. The extra 4" width in the 21NE (over the 19) also makes the opening to the bed 4" wider. So when I do need to get up, I'm just going over Jeff's legs.

Our bigger issue is the big ol' dog taking up most of the floor space and blocking the bathroom door. In my pre-purchase imagination, the dog would sleep under the bed. I've had dogs long enough to know that what I want isn't what he's going to do!
tukwilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We have the 19. I can see the crawl over getting old. In hind sight we should have ordered a 5.0TA. The 21 is getting to long for where we go. I like the bed in the 5.0TA but wasn’t ready to give up our truck bed. Often one of our teenagers sleeps in the truck.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:55 AM   #18

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Why is the “CRAWL OVER” a bad thing? Sure seems like an “accidental opportunity” to me.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Stop at the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Why is the “CRAWL OVER” a bad thing? Sure seems like an “accidental opportunity” to me.
As Freddie “Boom Boom” Cannon said his the rock classic
“You’ll never know how great a kiss can feel
When you stop at the top of a Ferris Wheel
Down at Palisades Park.

Roosters are crowing on this beautiful morning and the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds are feeding vigorously in preparation for a trip to Costa Rica between Hurry Canes.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We’re very early in our decision making process. We currently own a Scamp 16 but with more time on the road, we’d like a bit more room. We’re leaning toward to 21NE because it’s available with the optional cot which we would like for our granddaughter. From what I can tell, the cot is not an option with the 21C.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote