21C, A/C, Generators and Boxes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
21C, A/C, Generators and Boxes

We have a deposit on a 21C. Wondering about having the capability to run the AC off a generator.

We have a Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that we have used with our 2017 Airstream Basecamp for a few years. Only got it to start the 9,000 AC once and decided not to put either the generator or the AC through that again.

Looks like the std. AC unit on the 21C is 11,000 and the upgrade is 13,500 or so. I am led to believe that putting an easy start box on either AC unit would allow the Yamaha to get them running.

Since the only real ongoing 120V “need” is my wife’s espresso machine, we might just bag the easy start AC mod and deal with the lack of AC by avoiding super hot boon docking trips.

Which gets me to mounting the Yamaha (44 lbs) and an RVGeneratorbox.com box on the bumper of the 21C. The box can mount to the square bumper or in the 2” receiver.

The bumper mount seems preferable because it is both higher and closer to the trailer. The generator, box and mount combine for about 80 lbs., which is within the 150 lb. weight limit for the receiver, but I am not clear on the bumper weight capability. In addition, the position of the spare wheel might require the box to mount far enough to the driver’s side so as to block too much of the left tail light.

Would be interested in hearing from folks who have mounted generator boxes on the rear of their 21C. Front mounts are not desirable as I can easily see the mount, box and generator adding too much to the tongue weight.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I don't think either you or your generator is going to be happy trying to run the 21c air conditioner on 2000 watts.

The Yamaha has enough amp output to run the AC but borderline on the starting amps for the AC compressor. Of course, no other 120v devices can be powered with the AC.

I have the Yamaha 2400 and it runs the 11,000 btu AC fine. Again, nothing else powered.

I wouldn't even consider the 13,000 unit - that's overkill for the 21.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I don't think either you or your generator is going to be happy trying to run the 21c air conditioner on 2000 watts.

The Yamaha has enough amp output to run the AC but borderline on the starting amps for the AC compressor. Of course, no other 120v devices can be powered with the AC.

I have the Yamaha 2400 and it runs the 11,000 btu AC fine. Again, nothing else powered.

I wouldn't even consider the 13,000 unit - that's overkill for the 21.
Makes sense to me. How do you carry the 2400?
Old 12-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Makes sense to me. How do you carry the 2400?
I have the LowPro generator mount on a rear receiver hitch.

LowPro LockDown generator security system for Yamaha EF2400iS
Old 12-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have had no problems running the 11,000 BTU A/C with my Honda 2000 watt generator at home (200 feet above sea level). At higher elevations was where it would not work. But I installed the Easy Start system and it ran the A/C at 5,000 + feet. That is the highest I have been (on the east coast) since my installation. I also have the generator on a LowPro lockdown mounted on a plate welded to 2-inch square stock with a hole allowing it to be locked in the receiver. But having a 5.0, I use the truck’s receiver, although I rarely take the generator on a trip. It is more intended to taken should we have to evacuate for an approaching hurricane when every campground with shore power is fully occupied.

At one time (prior to 2014/2015 ), ETI offered a reinforced rear bumper receiver, but stopped doing so when the company’s founder became concerned that owners would exceed prudent weights. If memory serves me correctly, the reinforced receiver was rated for 500 lbs. The current rating of 150 lbs is not out of concern that the bumper cannot handle higher weights (to a point); it is a precaution to prevent dangerous sway when too much weight on the rear of the trailer results in too little tongue weight. I was told that this concern is more applicable to the bumper pull models rather than the 5.0 as 5th wheels are far less susceptible to sway. Even though I was given a “green light” to somewhat exceed 150 lbs should I need, I either carry my 1Up bicycle rack with 2 bikes (under 150 lbs) or a very light folding aluminum luggage rack which I use to pile totes and a cooler on when set up (to keep them off the ground/mud). I usually travel with it folded up. In my situation, I cannot imagine how I would exceed 150 lbs. But my point is that if you judiciously put a few extra lbs on the receiver, it isn’t going to break; 150 is not a magic number. But please be aware of potentially dangerous sway from improper weight distribution.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
At one time (prior to 2014/2015 ), ETI offered a reinforced rear bumper receiver, but stopped doing so when the company’s founder became concerned that owners would exceed prudent weights. If memory serves me correctly, the reinforced receiver was rated for 500 lbs. The current rating of 150 lbs is not out of concern that the bumper cannot handle higher weights (to a point); it is a precaution to prevent dangerous sway when too much weight on the rear of the trailer results in too little tongue weight. I was told that this concern is more applicable to the bumper pull models rather than the 5.0 as 5th wheels are far less susceptible to sway. Even though I was given a “green light” to somewhat exceed 150 lbs should I need, I either carry my 1Up bicycle rack with 2 bikes (under 150 lbs) or a very light folding aluminum luggage rack which I use to pile totes and a cooler on when set up (to keep them off the ground/mud). I usually travel with it folded up. In my situation, I cannot imagine how I would exceed 150 lbs. But my point is that if you judiciously put a few extra lbs on the receiver, it isn’t going to break; 150 is not a magic number. But please be aware of potentially dangerous sway from improper weight distribution.
Very well said. We have the reinforced rear receiver (build sheet simply states "Reinforce Bike Rack Ready to carry extra weight") but this was way back in 2009. I heard 500# somewhere too but we would never think of putting that much weight on the rear. We have a Stowaway cargo box which weighs 65# and I estimate that we put less than 100# in the box.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. The Lowpro lockdown looks like a well designed option for generator security. Still wondering about an enclosure that would allow a generator to run in rain.

It looks like the standard rear bumper is easily adequate to any configuration I might seriously consider.