4 season capability - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks as always for prompt and useful advice, and I will heed it. Don't want to bust a gut!
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Tubing under Escape freezing

We have an Escape 21. I think the tubing running under the trailer goes to the sink. If I leave the sink faucet open (pump off and not connected to city water), would that protect the tubing if it freezes? (We have the under trailer insulation, but I'm not sure how much this helps.)
Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We have an Escape 21. I think the tubing running under the trailer goes to the sink. If I leave the sink faucet open (pump off and not connected to city water), would that protect the tubing if it freezes? (We have the under trailer insulation, but I'm not sure how much this helps.)
Yes, this helps. By having an open faucet, the freezing water has a place to expand. Water expands when it freezes, and it is this expansion which causes pipes to burst or fittings to fail.

But this technique is not foolproof. It is still possible, for example, for a section of pipe to freeze both in front of and behind another unfrozen section. Then when the middle section goes to freeze, it is trapped and cannot expand.

The only real way to avoid freezing/bursting pipes is to evacuate all the water with air pressure, or replace pure water with anti-freeze which lowers the temperatures at which freezing occurs (to like -20 or -50F, depending on which type used).

It is a matter of weighing the risk of pipe or fitting failure, which could be inside a wall or other "very" hard to reach location, against the effort to winterize. All in the window of how likely to freeze: temperature, is it enclosed, do you have the insulation, is there a heat source, etc.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I live in Montreal. Winters are cold. I did not take any chances. I evacuated all the water throughout the trailer pipes with air pressure and pumped -50C anti-freeze for added safety.
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 5TA
We have camped in our 19' down to -6 several times. And not necessarily because we love the cold - it just was a cold snap while we were travelling on Vancouver Island and once up north! Naturally, any external water hose will freeze overnight. If you're not storing any water in the tanks, nor using the toilet, then it's feasible to use the trailer in winter. However, any water in water lines in the trailer will be subject to freezing overnight unless you keep the interior warmer than freezing. And freezing water in the pump could be expensive! To prevent this my suggestion is to open the interior doors under the bed just a bit to allow warmer air to circulate around the pump to prevent freezing. Anything in the black/grey water tanks will freeze and stay there till you get to someplace warmer.
The interior temperature of the trailer was comfortable with the insulation, however. Not toasty, but ok. Except for that cold zone about 20 cm above the floor level where the colder air settles. Plus you'll get LOTS of condensation between the bed/dinette cushions and the wall.
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 season use