5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Forest River Surveyor

Considering the 5.0 and going to be towing with a Tundra Limited with the 5.5' bed. I was wondering if any at all room would be left in the bed for a Honda3000 generator. I know it could depend on what hitch I end up with. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
sdamours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think it all depends on which hitch you decide to install, some are large and heavy and some are smaller and light, once you decide then abetter answer can be had.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another item is solar, many owners no longer use their generators due to the factory solar set up.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamours View Post
Considering the 5.0 and going to be towing with a Tundra Limited with the 5.5' bed. I was wondering if any at all room would be left in the bed for a Honda3000 generator. I know it could depend on what hitch I end up with. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I have a 5.0TA and tow with a 2012 Toyota Tundra with the 6.5 ft bed and use a rail mounted Anderson ultimate hitch. In my truck there is plenty of room for my Honda 3000is in front of the bed. BTW mine is a 4.6 l and it tows very easily. My truck goes down about 1.5 - 2 in measured at the rear tires between the ground and the top of the bed.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Ian, would the genny still fit if you had a foot less room between the hitch and the cab side of the bed?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Forest River Surveyor
Looking into the solar setup, not sure yet what the capabilities are coupled with the inverter.
sdamours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We had a small conventional fifth wheel with dual six volt batteries for many years with no solar capability and found that we could easily go 3-4 days on those batteries, even when running the furnace at night. With our new 5.0TA we find that the solar panel really provides a lot of charging to the batteries - with sunshine they get charged back up daily, especially when driving which is really nice. We haven't done any extended trips in cold weather yet, but the furnace in the 5.0TA is smaller (and much quieter) than our old furnace, which was the biggest electricity hog when boondocking. I feel confident that, short of running the A/C, the stock Escape solar setup will easily handle all our electricity needs.

We also got the whole house inverter - although we rarely need it, it's a real luxury to be able to turn it on and microwave a hot drink when we're at a rest stop or boondocking.

I would think that for most people ETI's solar/inverter setup would be more than adequate for just about anything. Of course, if you want to be able to run your A/C while boondocking you'll need a generator...can't think of much else that would require one.

I find the display panels on the solar controller and EMS very simple and helpful - I don't obsess about every detail of electricity, all I really want to know is "how are my batteries doing?" and "is my shore power OK?" and they do a great job of letting me know that.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have a new 5.0 TA that I tow with a 2017 Platinum Tundra which would have the same dimensions as your Limited. (The Platinum only comes in the CrewMax 5.5 bed option.)

I use an Andersen Ultimate gooseneck ball hitch and there is not enough room for my Honda i2000 in front of the hitch. I do have room behind the hitch. If I was using the rail mount version of the Andersen Ultimate I would have room since the frame is smaller and takes up less space in the bed.

However, I don't worry about it because I leave my generator at home. Never need it with the ETI installed solar and full inverter. I don't use the AC unless I am hooked up to power and for everything else, the solar set up provides all the power I need. I echo everything Dave said about solar in his post below.

So bottom line: look at your camping style, make the choices regarding hitch and solar that will fit how you want to camp. Rarely boon-dock in hot weather? get solar and forget the generator. If you will be doing a lot of camping in areas you need / want the AC without power, get a rail mount hitch so you can bring the Genset.

Good Luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Ian, would the genny still fit if you had a foot less room between the hitch and the cab side of the bed?
Hmmm gonna have to have a look later today. Not sure if the foot all comes off of the front but it does make sense. I already had the generator from a previous camper and like it a lot but it is heavy...over 100 lbs. If I were going to buy new I would consider the Honda 2200is as I understand it will run the air conditioner and is way lighter.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Not sure if the foot all comes off of the front but it does make sense
In probably every modern pickup truck, all of the box length difference between variants is between the axle and the cab; from the axle rearward, all boxes for the same model are identical. So yes, it is almost completely certain that a 5.5' Tundra box is a foot shorter between axle and cab than a 6.5' Tundra box (if those are the actual box lengths).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote