5.0 axle lift - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
5.0 axle lift

Is adding extra lift to the axle of a 5.0 something easily done after the trailer is built?

The reason I ask is because I am in line for a 5.0 and am putting together my list of options. I know the 5.0 is basically made for smaller pick-ups such as the Frontier. There were many more options for trucks when the 5.0 was introduced, but now the mid-size pick-up market is declining. I'm wondering how scarce smaller trucks might be 5 to 10 years from now. As I expect the trailer to outlast the truck I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the axle lifted while being built.

Am I correct that the axle lift will allow the 5.0 to be used with more makes and sizes of trucks such the F150, Silverado, Tundra, etc.?

Thanks.

Tim

P.S. I assume the axle lift will not prevent it being used with a Frontier. Correct?
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
You should shoot this straight to the master -- Reace at Escape. Then you'll get the definitive info you want.

info@escapetrailer.com

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I think you will find that the problem with full size trucks right now is the high box sides that the manufactures are putting on the trucks; the newer Ford F150's are a prime example. Lots of people are pulling the 5.0 with full size trucks with no problem; you just have to watch how high the bed is. I believe 54" is the highest it can be.

In fact, at last years Escape rally a guy was pulling a 5.0 with a full size GM/Chevy 4x4 with no axle lift and he had plenty of clearance between the truck sides and the trailer.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'
I think Bruce has the right answer - call Reace. We have an F150 and we had a 2" spacer bar welded on to raise the trailer because there was not enough clearance on certain roads.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetim View Post
Is adding extra lift to the axle of a 5.0 something easily done after the trailer is built?

The reason I ask is because I am in line for a 5.0 and am putting together my list of options. I know the 5.0 is basically made for smaller pick-ups such as the Frontier. There were many more options for trucks when the 5.0 was introduced, but now the mid-size pick-up market is declining. I'm wondering how scarce smaller trucks might be 5 to 10 years from now. As I expect the trailer to outlast the truck I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the axle lifted while being built.

Am I correct that the axle lift will allow the 5.0 to be used with more makes and sizes of trucks such the F150, Silverado, Tundra, etc.?

Thanks.

Tim

P.S. I assume the axle lift will not prevent it being used with a Frontier. Correct?
Hi: onetim... Our 5.0 has the axle lift as it was built for a full size shortbox Sierra. We now have the Frontier so an adjustment of lowering the hitch plate 2 bolt holes and letting out the pinbox one set of holes was done. Here's some pic's. to show the adjustments. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
adjusted pin box.jpg   letting out pin box.jpg   almost there.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I had my 2005 17B raised when I bought it in 2009. Escape unbolted the axle and welded in spacer bars and then re-bolted the axle on. If I remember correctly they charged me $150 to do it. The 17B uses the same axle as the 5.0.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi onetim,
You didn't indicate what vehicle and bed length you were planning to drive under your new 5.0. That would help us help you. I took out rear springs and spacers to give my Dodge 2500 a lower/level ride and Rease added height to my trailer. Something to consider: At some unlevel campsites, if you go to too high on your trailer setup, you will have to stack lots on blocks under your rear stabilizer jacks and your door step ends up too high.
A couple of Texas trailers have hit their beds. I came close once as I drove into a dip while getting positioned to back into a camp site. Give yourself at least 5" or 6" clearance between the trailer and truck bed on level ground and be mindful of your route!
Enjoy your new 5.0 as much as many of us.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote