5.0 TA Reservations at campgrounds - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Trying to find a site that fits your trailer, 5th wheel or not, can be interesting. Sites are sometimes listed as trailer length without considering the tow vehicle, while the next park will include space for one. Sometimes sites have 10' or more space available behind the trailer wheels for overhang that may or may not be included in the posted site length, etc.

If you are lucky enough to talk to a reservation person that is familiar with the park you may get a site that works well, however recreation.gov & Reserve America reservation clerks have usually never seen a campground, let alone the one in which you are trying to find a site. Both organizations have very poor on line site maps (although many state & private campground maps are no better).

I have found Campsite Photos very useful. There are other similar websites that are worth trying to find if you are planning a stay in an unfamiliar campground.

One of my favorite siting situations was when traveling with friends & asked for sites next to each other since we cooked meals together. The sites were numbered next to each other, the reservation clerk (at the campground) said they were, but neglected to mention that there was a playground with a full sized baseball field between them.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have found Campsite Photos very useful. There are other similar websites that are worth trying to find if you are planning a stay in an unfamiliar campground.

One of my favorite siting situations was when traveling with friends & asked for sites next to each other since we cooked meals together. The sites were numbered next to each other, the reservation clerk (at the campground) said they were, but neglected to mention that there was a playground with a full sized baseball field between them.
Great site! Thanks for this link. It will be saved for future reservations. Many times the photos at the reservation sites are basically worthless, but with another photo we'll get a better idea of the site.

I use Google Maps to look at the approximate width/depth/location of a site. Looking down from above can make a great difference. I've eliminated a number of sites using GM.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
OK. I should clarify. I generally do not make reservations in advance unless I am going to be in a high demand area. I guess with the recent surge in RV purchases, every area is now high demand. (Prior to Covid) When we were traveling from point to point it is/was my preference to be in a campsite prior to darkness. So around 4:00 pm she would look at the Allstays app and identify potential overnight campgrounds. She would call to see if they had an available site. This “last minute” reservation making was when we learned not to say 5th Wheel. It’s a lot easier to say “travel trailer” rather than “it’s a small fiberglass 21-foot 5th wheel. It’s like a Casita or a Scamp with a fiberglass shell. It’s not a huge 5th wheel like you are most familiar with. And we would like a water and electric site if you have one available, we don’t need a sewer connection.”

It has been my experience that campgrounds with a variety of hookups have sewer connections on the larger sights that have 50 amp and sewer where you typically find the large 5th wheels and motor homes.

Perhaps others have had different experiences. I/we just find it easier to book sites in a way that we have found to be the least confusing to campground personnel.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
.... One of my favorite siting situations was when traveling with friends & asked for sites next to each other since we cooked meals together. The sites were numbered next to each other, the reservation clerk (at the campground) said they were, but neglected to mention that there was a playground with a full sized baseball field between them.
That's rich, I got a good laff out of that, thanks for sharing!

And thanks for that Campsite Photos website link - nifty resource now bookmarked
Old 12-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But they do assume. They hear 5th wheel and that's it. I've no idea why...
The reason, of course, is stupidity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
It has been my experience that campgrounds with a variety of hookups have sewer connections on the larger sights that have 50 amp and sewer where you typically find the large 5th wheels and motor homes.
That's certainly the logical pattern. Of course, having a 50 amp service inlet doesn't mean that the owner of the RV needs that much capacity or even wants a fully serviced site for the visit - as long as the chosen site is large enough, there's no reason to limit the choice of site... especially based on the type of hitch!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I considered camping near the Black Hills on a Forest Service area I located. I could see some old foundations in the area on google earth. I called the district ranger’s office and got a very nice forest service fellow who was familiar with the area. He answered all my questions and as a parting comment said, “if you decide to camp there and have a dog, I’d keep a close eye on your dog, lots of rattlesnakes there in those old foundations. That was enough for me. I’ve called the ranger stations a number of times, especially in the late winter or very early spring. You can almost always find someone with accurate knowledge on campsites in their area. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 12-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The reason, of course, is stupidity.
So, does that mean if you post something, and someone assumes you are correct or know what you are talking about, the reason for that too is, of course, stupidity?
Old 12-29-2020, 01:31 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
thats when you're *real* glad you brought the ebikes :-p

joking aside, this is why I like to compare available campground maps with google earth, to see whats what.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Late to the game but I use 5th wheel and add some length. Not just because I have a bumper mounted cargo box that turns the 21’ to about 24’ but because I have a full size pickup not one of the puny small box trucks a reservation taker might think due to the trailer size. Sure! I can park the E5.0 in a 25’ spot but I need another close to the same for the truck.