5.0TA Checklists Proof Reading Needed Please - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
When arriving at a site, we check the site all the way back for anything that does not belong. We also use a tester at the pedestal before backing in.

When leaving and we think we have everything done, after the walk-around, we pull the trailer out of the spot a little ways away and then walk back and walk the site.
That's a great suggestion to check the site for things that may have been left by someone else and I'll have to put an electrical tester on my wishlist!
I also really like the suggestion of looking again once the trailer is out of the spot. I for one can look directly at something but not see it because my brain decides it should be there and puts the cloak of invisibility around it...
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
I've been working on some checklists for my 5.0TA Wild Thing and would appreciate your comments/additions/insights/corrections etc. I know everyone does things a bit differently and not all options apply to everyone but please let me know your feedback on these. I'll be happy to share them in an editable form for anyone to use and modify once they have been proofed! Thank you in advance!!
Very comprehensive lists. Nice work. Only a couple of minor suggestions:
-Check and secure outside shower / spray port (if applicable)
-Black and gray tanks emptied, but adding a little fresh water and treatment to slosh around while driving can't hurt
-Depending on how long you have been stationary and ambient temperatures it might be good to check tire pressures
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I guess to prevent accidental electrical arcing from misalignment. Or maybe help guard against blown fuses from a sudden electrical surge when plugging in to a "hot" receptacle. When the ETI trailer delivery guy was helping me hitch up our just delivered 21' for the first time, he reminded me to do that, too. So apparently I'm not the only one who picked that up from somewhere.
This really sounds like someone somewhere decided on the most cautious way of connecting the 7-pin, mentioned there concern somewhere, and folks ran with it. There would be no concern regarding blowing a fuse, any more than when the ignition was turned back on, as the current flow would be the same. The amount of arc would be so very small, I would not have a concern, and I connect to trailers many times a week, just yesterday I hooked up to three different ones, sadly none of them my Escape.

This said, there is no harm in the practice, just something I am not going to do. I would bet the majority of the time my ignition is off so as to not waste fuel, but certainly not always.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
When arriving at a site, we check the site all the way back for anything that does not belong. ...
Or maybe does belong, kind of.... We occasionally hear fellow campers speak of little token gifts they find left behind by a site's previous occupant, like a state quarter (presumably representing the state from which the previous occupant haled from) or some small craft left in a conspicuous place, like on the near corner of a picnic table. Has someone come across something like that, or even been the one who leaves such token gifts?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Or maybe does belong, kind of.... We occasionally hear fellow campers speak of little token gifts they find left behind by a site's previous occupant, like a state quarter (presumably representing the state from which the previous occupant haled from) or some small craft left in a conspicuous place, like on the near corner of a picnic table. Has someone come across something like that, or even been the one who leaves such token gifts?
I would really appreciate a nice whiskey left behind for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
That's a great suggestion to check the site for things that may have been left by someone else and I'll have to put an electrical tester on my wishlist!
I also really like the suggestion of looking again once the trailer is out of the spot.
I think that the little cheapie electrical testers are at hardware stores. Need an adaptor with it for the 30-amp.

Once you are out of the spot and go down the road to the dump station ---- another little checklist!

Is the black tank valve closed? And gray? Is the sewer hose back in and container closed? If you put chemicals in the toilet, is everything in there in order with the door closed? Did you turn on the water pump? Did you put the step down? Need to lock the exterior door again. And check the hitch since you moved. You may see if something is not right on the hitch from moving a short distance. Also, during the day whenever stopping, such as for lunch, the hitch can be checked before going on. And door locked again!

It is those later stops that can get you after having it all in order at first. If you just look closely at the trailer --- high, low and middle ---and check the locks after a stop, that should cover it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Not all "parting gifts" are welcomed. I stayed at a random camping site near Brazeau Dam in Alberta a few years ago on a long weekend, where it was so busy that there were very limited opportunities to find another spot elsewhere. The site was strewn with garbage everywhere, including hundreds of spent shotgun shells, and trees that had been cut down and left lying around the site. Had to winch several of the fallen trees out of the way with my truck. It took an hour and several garbage bags to clean up all of those "parting gifts" to a state where we could stay at that spot for the weekend. Needless to say, we left the site in a condition that was much tidier than when we arrived.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
The site was strewn with garbage everywhere, including hundreds of spent shotgun shells, and trees that had been cut down and left lying around the site. Had to winch several of the fallen trees out of the way with my truck.
Wow. What kind of an animal does that? Just can't fathom it.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Needless to say, we left the site in a condition that was much tidier than when we arrived.
This sounds like almost all campsites along the North Saskatchewan as well. We have cleaned out almost every firepit we came across, and hauled out garbage left behind. It is so damn easy to clean up the wee mess you make when taking off, yet it seems that some seem to think that because the previous camper never did their share, why should they.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Is the black tank valve closed? And gray? Is the sewer hose back in and container closed? If you put chemicals in the toilet, is everything in there in order with the door closed? Did you turn on the water pump? Did you put the step down? Need to lock the exterior door again. And check the hitch since you moved. You may see if something is not right on the hitch from moving a short distance. Also, during the day whenever stopping, such as for lunch, the hitch can be checked before going on. And door locked again!
Would it not be fair to say that common sense should cover many things like this?

This multiple list thing could then get extended to bathroom trips (don't want to miss a step there ), getting dressed, fuelling, and so on. As with most things in life, we need to learn to think on the fly, checking a list for everything, though maybe fine when learning, seems a little excessive. Maybe if I ever get old I will change my tune.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
On my 5.0 TA I put a 4 X 6 card in the box where the Power Jack switches are with "CHECK STABILIZER JACKS" "LOCK/UNLOCK ANDERSON PIN" and "WHEEL CHOCKS" written in thick black sharpie. I have some old plastic bed risers from the basement which I use under those jacks, they are good for 1200 Lbs. Luckily they snapped before any damage was done to the stabilizers, power jacks or a blown fuse.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Not all "parting gifts" are welcomed. I stayed at a random camping site near Brazeau Dam in Alberta a few years ago on a long weekend, where it was so busy that there were very limited opportunities to find another spot elsewhere. The site was strewn with garbage everywhere, including hundreds of spent shotgun shells, and trees that had been cut down and left lying around the site. Had to winch several of the fallen trees out of the way with my truck. It took an hour and several garbage bags to clean up all of those "parting gifts" to a state where we could stay at that spot for the weekend. Needless to say, we left the site in a condition that was much tidier than when we arrived.
Hit a NJ state park campground on a busy weekend in September. People everywhere. Park staffing bare bones. Spent 10 minutes cleaning up the playground so our kids weren't running through trash. Thankfully another camper came over with a trash bin. He said a bunch of unsupervised kids decided to have a food fight. Saw a campsite left at the end of the weekend with trash all over. I really hope that the park fines them or doesn't allow them to come there again. During the week the place was empty and much more enjoyable.

I suspect that most Escape owners are leaving their camping spots nicer than when they arrived.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #33

Yes. I do not use such a list. This is a newbie who is making lists and using them just as we did when we started. I no longer use lists. I know what I am looking for as far as every single thing on the hitch or anything else. Newbies do not. We can tell them what to look for after mistakes that many of us made.

But I do understand that some people still use lists after many years. I still forget some things sometimes and a list would save me some trouble, but I try to cover everything by looking well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Would it not be fair to say that common sense should cover many things like this?

This multiple list thing could then get extended to bathroom trips (don't want to miss a step there ), getting dressed, fuelling, and so on. As with most things in life, we need to learn to think on the fly, checking a list for everything, though maybe fine when learning, seems a little excessive. Maybe if I ever get old I will change my tune.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I like the idea of a checklist, especially for beginners. But, I did put those away after I'd done it many times. Still do the walkarounds though - religiously.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I like the idea of a checklist, especially for beginners. But, I did put those away after I'd done it many times. Still do the walkarounds though - religiously.
Amen Robert!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #36

There are those who have driven away with their awnings up! (I expect that happens more with motorhomes as I don't know how that could happen with a trailer.)

People have left the wife, the dog, and lots of things!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #37

Quote:
People have left the wife, the dog, and lots of things!
Okay, I admit it, I did leave my brother behind at a gas station on a trip, but our nephew reminded me only a few blocks away. Is there a checklist for this kinda thing.

*Jim driving away from gas station*
Colton "Where are you going?"
Jim " Canoeing of course, why?"
Colton "You know you left Uncle David at the gas station."
*Jim does U-turn*

But, on the same note, my brother David did leave his dog behind once when we were camping.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Okay, I admit it, I did leave my brother behind at a gas station on a trip, but our nephew reminded me only a few blocks away. Is there a checklist for this kinda thing.

*Jim driving away from gas station*
Colton "Where are you going?"
Jim " Canoeing of course, why?"
Colton "You know you left Uncle David at the gas station."
*Jim does U-turn*

But, on the same note, my brother David did leave his dog behind once when we were camping.
Don't you dare leave Jasper!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Don't you dare leave Jasper!!!
He is very eager to remind us he is ready to go when we are hooking up.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #40

Smart dog.