5.0ta handling behavior - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Sunset Trail
5.0ta handling behavior

I am looking for a trailer that has very good road manners and is basically stress free to tow. I'm thinking the 5.0ta would be the one but would like to hear from those who have one to see how they feel about it. I have had sticky 5th wheels before that were not to bad to tow but just too heavy for my taste. I'm ready to give up my tongue pull sticky for something better and easier to tow but need to be certain that it will truly be better and easier. So, let's hear what you have to say about yours!!
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
I am looking for a trailer that has very good road manners and is basically stress free to tow. I'm thinking the 5.0ta would be the one but would like to hear from those who have one to see how they feel about it. I have had sticky 5th wheels before that were not to bad to tow but just too heavy for my taste. I'm ready to give up my tongue pull sticky for something better and easier to tow but need to be certain that it will truly be better and easier. So, let's hear what you have to say about yours!!
Kevin, with all due respect, you are asking a question that is similar to "How does the view from the top of Mount Everest compare with the view from the top of Mount Ranier?" Unless someone with a 5.0TA has towed your tongue pull stickie, can their answer be valid?
In my opinion (for what it is worth), a 5th wheel will tow better with more stability than any bumper pull. In many cases, the difference isn't huge, it is subtle. Every pull behind I have ever owned, including a Coleman tent camper, has at one time or another been affected by a passing large vehicle (e.g.,18 wheel truck) to a degree that as the driver I could sense. Not even once has my 5.0TA or my previous trailer, a Scamp 19 which uses an in bed connection point like a 5th wheel given me that sensation.
Is it better and easier? Many Escape bumper pull owners report that their trailers tow like a dream. Better and easier are relative terms, based upon personal experience. I do not think I would ever revert to a bumper pull, but in addition to what I perceive as greater stability, I also like the overall shorter length when coupled resulting from the overlap of the truck and the 5.0TA. I also like not having to deal with safety chains. So I "love" my 5.0TA. It meets my needs and wants. It is light. I tow it with a 2.6 liter 6 cylinder Ford F-150 and the tiny engine will accelerate when towing uphill. The floor plan is ideal for me and my spouse. But with all that being said, I would not presume to say it is better than any other Escape. But in my biased mind, it is miles ahead of any stickie.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You don't specify what size bumper pull you have, you may find the biggest change is due to going down to a total length of only 21'.

I had a single axle 20' bumper pull before the 5.0TA, both about the same weight. I can feel the trailers tires hit speed bumps but that's about it, no sway or jerking. I have no idea how much, if any, of that improvment is due to the B&W hitch. I can of course tell it's there when I stop and start, it still has weight.

That's just my opinion, yours could differ, no guarantees given.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think there are other factors that need to be considered as well. As I'm getting older (and that's a good thing), I'm finding it's getting a bit more complicated to hookup a 5th wheel over a bumper pull. For me, there is no "we" so I do it all. I'm 5'6" tall and need to either lift myself up by stepping on the tire, or get out a ladder to make certain the 5th wheel has a positive latch, place the padlock on the hitch and attach the break away cable in it's position. When towing a bumper pull, my feet stay on the ground and all I need to do is bend over to take care of these requirements. I'm just glad I've got good knees. But if mobility becomes an issue in the future, I may need to rethink model-type ownership.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Donna,
You might want to consider a Rubbermaid step stool. It is what I use to lock the hitch and attach the breakaway cable. It is light, can be transported in the back seat or just inside the 5.0TA's door. It is also useful when not connected for climbing into the bed of the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0139.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Carl. I wanted something that folds and stores easily. This is what I have, and it stores in the hatch above the propane tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
three-stepFoldingAluminumLadder.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote