5.0TA on FS & Unpaved Roads - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
5.0TA on FS & Unpaved Roads

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking quite a while around here picking up lots of info, so thank you for all of that. Now I'm more confused than ever. (Just kidding...sorta)

We're looking pulling the trigger any moment on a 5.0TA and one of my concerns, primarily as a former boondocking truck camper, is towability of the rig on rough or off of pavement (forest service/baja, & ALCAN roads). I'd definitely get the high axle, but how much of these sorts of roads (lumps and bumps) can the 5'er take with pretty careful driving, and what are the real clearances, and experiences towing in those conditions?

Obviously I'm aware of the issue with having less maneuverability/turning around in those situations. But my wife and I are dispersed camp/boondockers nearly exclusively and we're wondering what the suitability might be for what is an astonishingly similar rig in size and layout to what my large truck camper was.

Also, hitch recommendations for such a rig would be appreciated, I'm liking the Anderson.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers,

Jacster Trixter
Jacster Trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Welcome to the forum!

We take our 19 down bumpy and narrow FS roads quite frequently and boondock almost exclusively in undeveloped sites. We did not get the high axle. You will be fine driving on rough roads with a 5.0 TA, and I think it's actually more maneuverable than our 19 in tight spaces. We do go really slow when off pavement, mostly because I'm trying to keep things inside the trailer from getting knocked around. No trouble so far with flat tires or bottoming out. That said, there are a fair number of primitive campsites in BC and other places that say "no trailers", and not being able to camp at these sites will be a tradeoff compared to a pickup camper.

As for a hitch, lots of folks here use an Anderson for their 5.0TA, and I have yet to see anyone complain about it. So they must work!

Definitely get the solar panel and dual 6-volt batteries, this is a great system for boondocking, and you won't need a generator unless you want to camp with air conditioning. The solar can run everything else.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hills and dips depend on the clearance between the trucks box side and the 5.0ta's loft frame. one would think that the high lift option will increase the ground clearance but shorten the loft to truck side clearance.

I balked at crossing a dry stream bed that had about a 10 or so inch drop for that reason.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

Thanks guys!

Yes I agree solar is the way to go. I had 2 flooded 12V's previously and I'd definitely go with the 6V's this time. What size panel seem to keep you all topped up? I had a 95W previously and it wasn't enough, especially as the batteries aged, despite extreme frugality, keeping it clean, and living in the southwest. That said, we were usually in the styx for 10 days at a time.

So Bob, are you indicating the distance between the bed rails and the underside of the front of the 5'er? If so, is that distance diminished as a result of a crest of a bump that is lifting up the back of the truck in relation to the trailer, or a trough in a dip, (or both)? Am I understanding what you are saying? because I'm not sure I understand the dynamics there.

Any thoughts on what would be the optimal axle/hitch/etc. set-up for what I'm looking to do? Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I see humps as an issue. The back of the truck gets closer to the frame under the loft, the fixed point being the king pin.

Can't draw a pic on my phone.

On 2nd thought, the gap between the rear of the bed rail and the loft frame would increase with the lift kit. I only have 5" clearance with no lift.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do realize that the high lift option does not increase your axle clearance...just the height of the trailer on top of the axles.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #7

Ah, OK Bob, thanks.

Thanks Jim, while I'm familiar with axle clearances being a function of the radius of the wheel, that's a good point to bring up for folks who haven't done this sort of thing before. That said, I'd also prefer not to rip my tanks and plumbing (and whatever else they stuck under there) off, so a higher lift would seem to be more advantageous over uneven ground.

I'd still love to hear from others who have routinely, or at least somewhat pulled their 5.0's over less than ideal surfaces.

Thanks again,

Cheers!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do not mention your tow vehicle....?
Old 03-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #9

Good point. I haven't mentioned the TV because I'm in the process of determining which rig will be right for my needs first. With the 5.0 I would probably go for a late-model F-150 4x4, with 6.5" bed. My previous was a 1 ton Silverado DRW 4x4 long bed, and I'm trying to avoid anything that large again. Hence, no slide-in, and focusing on smaller trailers generally.

Tags
5.0ta, boondock, towing 5.0