5.0TA Pickup Bed Length - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
svbstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Trailer: Cirrus 252007
Posts: 4
5.0TA Pickup Bed Length

After 16 years and 267,000 original miles on my Silverado 4.8L, a new or new-to-me 1500 pickup is on the horizon, perhaps by New Year’s Day. Towing a 5.0 is part of my calculus for deciding between a double/quad/super or crew cab. The choice is relevant to me because the fifth wheel will require me to use roof racks to carry my canoes, which will hang over the cab.

What is the clearance length at the closest point between the 5.0 and the cab, assuming a standard 6’4” or 6’6” bed? Knowing that distance, which might be shorter while making a turn, will help me figure whether a longer roof line is necessary. Otherwise, I don’t particularly need a crew cab.

I saw the photo in the previous post of a 90 degree turn in a short bed pickup. I sure won't be making any of those while carrying canoes.
__________________

__________________
2007 Cirrus Series M-25 CRSQB
Pilgrim International, Inc.
2003 Silverado 1500
svbstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 6,270
If the boat is centered and there is only the one, the distance does not change on turns. It will change a little going over dips and bumps though. A lot has to do with the length of the boat too. I carry a 14' canoe on the roof rack with an 8' bed on an F150 supercab. I mount it about 8" from the front of the trailer and it still hangs out over the front of the truck more then the back. If I were to move it another 18" forward I think it would block the drivers view too much. I have roughly 5' from the back of the cab to the front of the camper. I can measure the exact distance if you need it but it's an F150.

I imagine a pair of the short kayaks would work fine
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
svbstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Trailer: Cirrus 252007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If the boat is centered and there is only the one, the distance does not change on turns. It will change a little going over dips and bumps though. A lot has to do with the length of the boat too. I carry a 14' canoe on the roof rack with an 8' bed on an F150 supercab. I mount it about 8" from the front of the trailer and it still hangs out over the front of the truck more then the back. If I were to move it another 18" forward I think it would block the drivers view too much. I have roughly 5' from the back of the cab to the front of the camper. I can measure the exact distance if you need it but it's an F150.

I imagine a pair of the short kayaks would work fine
I currently paddle a 12’ canoe. Considering your canoe and bed length, I would have another 6” of clearance advantage compared to your 5.0 and canoe set up. As soon as I come across a good deal, I intend to purchase an 8.5’-10’ canoe and make it my primary. I’ll be toting two of that length, for the wife and me.
__________________
2007 Cirrus Series M-25 CRSQB
Pilgrim International, Inc.
2003 Silverado 1500
svbstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbstuart View Post
I currently paddle a 12’ canoe. Considering your canoe and bed length, I would have another 6” of clearance advantage compared to your 5.0 and canoe set up. As soon as I come across a good deal, I intend to purchase an 8.5’-10’ canoe and make it my primary. I’ll be toting two of that length, for the wife and me.
Hi: svbstuart... I've heard of these "Seperate canoes" before!!! Some times my wife and I take separate vacations together!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
svbstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Trailer: Cirrus 252007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: svbstuart... I've heard of these "Seperate canoes" before!!! Some times my wife and I take separate vacations together!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
The nice thing about paddling solo with your spouse is you both get to be the driver.
__________________
2007 Cirrus Series M-25 CRSQB
Pilgrim International, Inc.
2003 Silverado 1500
svbstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 6,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbstuart View Post
I currently paddle a 12’ canoe. Considering your canoe and bed length, I would have another 6” of clearance advantage compared to your 5.0 and canoe set up.
Well sort of, part of the length savings is in the front. The farther you push the boat forward the lower it sits over the hood due to the canoes shape, at least mine do. Unless you have a lot of rocker, like a white water boat, the 12' should be able to fit.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbstuart View Post
What is the clearance length at the closest point between the 5.0 and the cab, assuming a standard 6’4” or 6’6” bed? Knowing that distance, which might be shorter while making a turn, will help me figure whether a longer roof line is necessary. Otherwise, I don’t particularly need a crew cab.
On my Ram 1500 quad cab with 6-4" bed I have 37" of clearance between the cab and front of the trailer with a standard hitch placement directly over the axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rambo setup.jpg (201.8 KB, 24 views)
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
arniesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,004
One thing to keep in mind, is that for a given wheelbase, most modern 1/2 ton pickups trade bed length for cab size. And the difference is between the back of the cab and the rear wheels. Generally the distance between the rear wheels and the tailgate stay the same. So for example, a 6.5 foot bed will have a cab 1 foot smaller than a 5.5 foot short bed. But the difference in bed length is forward of the rear axle.

Also the term “long bed” usually means a longer wheelbase. So a full sized crew cab with a long bed will have a longer wheelbase than a regular full sized crew cab. (Each manufacturer calls their cabs something unique to their brand.)
__________________
- Arnie & Paula & Kizzy the rat terrier
https://www.arniesea.com
- 2019 5.0 TA, 2017 Tundra Platinum.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,678
My solution to the canoeing need is to bring along my 16' Sea Eagle inflatable canoe. If needed for fishing I can mount an electric trolling motor. While not as fast on smooth water as my 17.5' touring canoe it is just fine for paddling about.


A disadvantage to having two shorter canoes is that they are much less directionally stable than a longer one requiring more correctional strokes, and your speed will be slowed quite a bit, but when it comes to it having fun is what it is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
One thing to keep in mind, is that for a given wheelbase, most modern 1/2 ton pickups trade bed length for cab size. And the difference is between the back of the cab and the rear wheels. Generally the distance between the rear wheels and the tailgate stay the same. So for example, a 6.5 foot bed will have a cab 1 foot smaller than a 5.5 foot short bed. But the difference in bed length is forward of the rear axle.

Also the term “long bed” usually means a longer wheelbase. So a full sized crew cab with a long bed will have a longer wheelbase than a regular full sized crew cab. (Each manufacturer calls their cabs something unique to their brand.)
Motor size matters too, at least for Ford. If you want the 6.5' bed and a SuperCrew cab, you have to go to the 3.5L EcoBoost. This is the combo I insisted on, as even a 6.5' bed is short to me. You can only get that cab with a 5.5' bed if you buy the 2.7L, or a 6.5' bed with a Supercab or Standard Cab as you describe in your example.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ridgway, Colorado
Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Posts: 25
We haven't brought the canoe along because of how far it has to stick out front blocking the view. It would also require a support at the front bumper with our truck.
I really want one of these https://www.aire.com/kayaks/traveler.html but at $3,000 it probably won't happen. I really like Aire boats I used to have a white water kayak and they are incredibly rigid for an inflatable boat.
I would prefer a canoe like how you sit up higher in a canoe. The Sea Eagle looks more like an inflatable kayak and would maybe be better paddled with a kayak paddle than canoe paddles. But it looks like with the inflatable seats you do sit up higher than other kayaks. kind of between a kayak and a canoe.

This Inova inflatable canoe looks quite nice https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/4...f6004e0a1c0e0c but it is no longer available.

I also really like the looks of these seaeagle kayaks https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/4...f6004e0a1c0e0c It looks like they would be fast and they are quite a bit more affordable than the Aire canoe.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ridgway, Colorado
Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Posts: 25
I was looking at the lower end sea eagles like this https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-SE3...s%2C374&sr=8-3


This Sea Eagle Travel Canoe16' looks really nice Sea Eagle Travel Canoe 16 Review (TC16) | Inflatable Kayaker

Is this what you have Jim? Does it have a motor mount, or did you have to rig something up?
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #12
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 6,270
I tried one of the front mount T's, with the roof rack mounted a where Thule says to mount the front roof rack it's just over 9' between that and the front T in a front mount receiver. Won't leave much of the 12' canoe under the straps, only the narrow tips.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
I was looking at the lower end sea eagles like this https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-SE3...s%2C374&sr=8-3


This Sea Eagle Travel Canoe16' looks really nice Sea Eagle Travel Canoe 16 Review (TC16) | Inflatable Kayaker

Is this what you have Jim? Does it have a motor mount, or did you have to rig something up?
That is my canoe. I rigged up my own support for the trolling motor, holding it on with two wide straps that go all the way around the hull.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
svbstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Trailer: Cirrus 252007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
On my Ram 1500 quad cab with 6-4" bed I have 37" of clearance between the cab and front of the trailer with a standard hitch placement directly over the axle.
David, I looked at that exact Ram model last week, color and everything. That's the perfect visual for a quad cab/5.0 TA configuration.
__________________

__________________
2007 Cirrus Series M-25 CRSQB
Pilgrim International, Inc.
2003 Silverado 1500
svbstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×