5lb Propane Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 1721
5lb Propane Tank

I'm considering switching from the green 1lb propane tanks to a refillable 5lb tank. I grill while camping and feel like I'm always searching for and purchasing the small tanks, which aren't reusable. Does anyone carry a 5lb tank with them for grilling?
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I'm considering switching from the green 1lb propane tanks to a refillable 5lb tank. I grill while camping and feel like I'm always searching for and purchasing the small tanks, which aren't reusable. Does anyone carry a 5lb tank with them for grilling?

U can refill them with the correct adapter. I’ve done it from a 20lb tank. Google it. About 20 bucks I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wrandyholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Yes we have used a 5 lb tank for years - much cheaper and a lot less waste than those little cylinders.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrandyholman View Post
U can refill them with the correct adapter. I’ve done it from a 20lb tank. Google it. About 20 bucks I think...
Interesting. I didn't know they could be reused. My concern would be accidentally overfilling one.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Does anyone carry a 5lb tank with them for grilling?
We made the switch from 1 pounders to a squat 6 pounder. It fits nicely in a plastic "milk carton" style box. I like it so much that after the certification expired I had it re-certified. I also figure that if I unexpectedly run dry on the main tanks I can use the grill tank for a day or two.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Spare tank

Last winter I used a gift card to buy an 11 lb tank. It fits nicely in my front box. I use it for the Weber Q, the Everest camp stove, the campfire in a can, and where there’s a hanger for
Lanterns I sometimes hook up my bottom attach lantern and hang it for light. The green bottles are history. The only downside is that you have to find a bulk fill supplier as you can’t exchange the small tanks anywhere I’ve been. I store it upright in a plastic bucket that it fits in like a tight glove
Dave
Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
U-Haul sells refillable one pound cylinders...

Oh wait. I see that 20,000 of them were recalled. Including mine.

Let’s see...trip to U-Haul tomorrow then...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know they could be reused. My concern would be accidentally overfilling one.
I've refilled them for years from a 100# tank. I made up my own whip but one pieces adaptors are readily available. I check my fill with an accurate kitchen scale. There does seem to be a limit to how many times they can be refilled because some folks have reported that they leak any repeated fillings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Last winter I used a gift card to buy an 11 lb tank. It fits nicely in my front box. I use it for the Weber Q, the Everest camp stove, the campfire in a can,
Dave
I did the same. I like that size tank. It's still small and portable.
I use mine for the propane fire and my grill and in the worst case, an emergency supply if I make a boo-boo on the level of the main tanks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
5 lb tank

We use ours for our propane camp fire. It fits nicely in the front box.
We fill it at the same place as our 20lb tanks

They are relatively expensive compared to the common 20lb tanks.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I bought an 11 lb. tank too. I use it for my outdoor cooking as I neglected to buy the quick connect option (darn!). I do like the extra tank in case my cooking extravaganzas use up all my propane while camping in the Artic. Well .... OK .... sub sub Artic.

Tom
Old 11-13-2017, 12:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I just pack along an extra 20 pounder and use it for our BBQ, our outdoor stove and our fire pit. We have a "T" fitting so we can hook up two appliances at once. Also we find the fire pit can burn through 1/2 a tank in just one night. So a 10 pound tank would be too small for us.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I carry a 5lb tank to use with our Weber Que Grill, and like it very much.

When I first got the tank I got one of the adapter hoses. But I had trouble with the grill going out after a few minutes. After trying several failed ways to fix it, I bought a hose with the regulator near the tank, and removed the regulator on the grill. After that I had no problems. Apparently the device in the tank that detects leaks would shut the flow off with the standard regulator.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
5lb Propane Tank

Quote:
Does anyone carry a 5 lb tank with them for grilling?

Yes, I carry a 5 lb. tank in a plastic bucket and use it with our Weber Q.

The 5 lb. tank is easier to load/unload.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I carry a 5lb tank to use with our Weber Que Grill, and like it very much.

When I first got the tank I got one of the adapter hoses. But I had trouble with the grill going out after a few minutes. After trying several failed ways to fix it, I bought a hose with the regulator near the tank, and removed the regulator on the grill. After that I had no problems. Apparently the device in the tank that detects leaks would shut the flow off with the standard regulator.
Great tip! My use case will be the same as yours, so hopefully this will eliminate potential frustrations or confusion. Thanks!

Seems like using a small tank instead of the green 1lb's is common. I'm now wondering if a 11 would be better than a 5. I'd like to transport it in the front box, so I'll need to do some more measuring and estimate the weight difference. Having twice the propane versus the extra weight and larger size causes pause. Both sizes will solve the green bottle problem.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
This was the advertisement at the top of the page when I opened this post the first time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	39C686EE-91D3-4858-A0C0-10B86384E69D.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	28205
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tank weight

Full, the tank I have weighs 22 lbs or so. The tare on the tank is 10.6 lbs and the propane is 11 lbs. I have a bucket from the cleaning powder we use with the Oreck floor buffer. I put four short screws through the plastic bucket and into the plywood bottom of the front box (# 8 X 1/2inch) sheet metal, so it won’t tip, walk around, or get scratched up. I can pluck it out of there in just a moment. I keep the adapter hose with my Weber Q in a large clear tub in the back of the Highlander. The tub holds the Q, my cooking tools, spare drip pans, the hose, and my non stick griddle for the camp stove. The tub came from the Container store. With the lid snapped down there’s no odor coming from the back of the Highlander to compete with Jake and me. With the 21, the batteries being in the camper, and the wider width of the box than the 19 had, I’m still not near the weight I had in the 19 box because the 19 had the double sixes in there. The 22 lb tank is the heaviest single item in the front box now.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
This was the advertisement at the top of the page when I opened this post the first time.

Attachment 28205
Interesting. I'm using an ad blocker, so I don't have that view. Ah... marketing keyword technology.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Full, the tank I have weighs 22 lbs or so. The tare on the tank is 10.6 lbs and the propane is 11 lbs. I have a bucket from the cleaning powder we use with the Oreck floor buffer. I put four short screws through the plastic bucket and into the plywood bottom of the front box (# 8 X 1/2inch) sheet metal, so it won’t tip, walk around, or get scratched up. I can pluck it out of there in just a moment. I keep the adapter hose with my Weber Q in a large clear tub in the back of the Highlander. The tub holds the Q, my cooking tools, spare drip pans, the hose, and my non stick griddle for the camp stove. The tub came from the Container store. With the lid snapped down there’s no odor coming from the back of the Highlander to compete with Jake and me. With the 21, the batteries being in the camper, and the wider width of the box than the 19 had, I’m still not near the weight I had in the 19 box because the 19 had the double sixes in there. The 22 lb tank is the heaviest single item in the front box now.
Iowa Dave
Thank you for the weight and tank securing method info. Very helpful. I was thinking about using a tall kitchen pot and securing it to the box or using a tank holder for the larger scuba tanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Also we find the fire pit can burn through 1/2 a tank in just one night. So a 10 pound tank would be too small for us.
The first couple of times I used ours I could see that using it every night could use up a fair bit of propane. I've taken to having a "hybrid" fire. The propane fire is set really low and I throw small bits of twigs etc. on it. It makes for a very realistic flame and the 10# tank lasts at least a couple of weeks.

Yes, I know, there are some locations that don't allow burning wood and this wouldn't be allowed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2030089_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The first couple of times I used ours I could see that using it every night could use up a fair bit of propane. I've taken to having a "hybrid" fire. The propane fire is set really low and I throw small bits of twigs etc. on it. It makes for a very realistic flame and the 10# tank lasts at least a couple of weeks.

Yes, I know, there are some locations that don't allow burning wood and this wouldn't be allowed.

Ron
I've heard of people doing that for a more realistic flame but even that would be frowned upon during a open fire ban. And the only time I use a propane fire is during an open fire ban.