5th Wheel Market Shift - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
5th Wheel Market Shift

Came across a new Winnebago 5th Wheel model that is 7 ft. wide, under 6000 lb. dry weight and 1000 lb. hitch weight. Appears 5th wheel market has it sights on 1/2 ton and mid size truck market for 5th Wheels.

Found it funny how a salesman was stating this was first to market to be towed by 1/2 ton truck. I would like to send them pictures of my Canyon and Escape 5.0TA.
Attached Thumbnails
mm5w-ext34-platinum-20.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 Somehow I don’t think the towing experience would be quite the same ...
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Found it funny how a salesman was stating this was first to market to be towed by 1/2 ton truck. I would like to send them pictures of my Canyon and Escape 5.0TA.
You know salesman...maybe the first that is produced and sold at a dealer network in the US? Details...
Old 01-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Scamp folks would disagree....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Scamp folks would disagree....
I guess it comes down to terminology, but I thought the Scamp 19 wasn't technically a fifth wheel based on the fact that you are still dropping it onto a ball with a proprietary hitch system. But I agree it looks and likely tows just like a fifth wheel. You can bet the salesmen of other brands are going to leverage every little nuance they can or they'll just figure that their buyer doesn't even know about Scamp and just risk getting called out on it...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Or pull up to that dealership n watch the salesman’s face
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I used to like to torment sales people by showing them something like this. But in my old age I just dismiss them as either liars or short on information. A good salesman could sell either an Escape or the new Winnebago to a customer who hasn’t done the research. And in fact a great number of first time buyers are keeping this current trailer boom going. In traveling between Indiana and Iowa on I-80 about a dozen times a year for the last 5 years, we are noticing the shift to smaller new trailers coming out of Elkhart. Last week we saw several Semi tractors pulling trailers loaded with two and three small stick built units. Probably 20 trailers being hauled that day. In my observation, the small retro canned ham trailers are still plugging along but the bloom is off the rose. Here’s my take
Research will bring you to fiberglass, impulse buy will bring you a PITA.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I used to like to torment sales people by showing them something like this. But in my old age I just dismiss them as either liars or short on information. A good salesman could sell either an Escape or the new Winnebago to a customer who hasn’t done the research. And in fact a great number of first time buyers are keeping this current trailer boom going. In traveling between Indiana and Iowa on I-80 about a dozen times a year for the last 5 years, we are noticing the shift to smaller new trailers coming out of Elkhart. Last week we saw several Semi tractors pulling trailers loaded with two and three small stick built units. Probably 20 trailers being hauled that day. In my observation, the small retro canned ham trailers are still plugging along but the bloom is off the rose. Here’s my take
Research will bring you to fiberglass, impulse buy will bring you a PITA.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... The only "Impulse buying" I do is "Cheesies"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Came across a new Winnebago 5th Wheel model that is 7 ft. wide, under 6000 lb. dry weight and 1000 lb. hitch weight. Appears 5th wheel market has it sights on 1/2 ton and mid size truck market for 5th Wheels.
Micro Minnie
Five layouts, all with a single slide-out, and all look pretty functional, except that only one has any kitchen counter space.
Substantially longer and taller (due to the conventional layout with elevated bathroom), and so heavier than a 5.0TA.

Quote:
... and generations of Bigfoot fifth-wheels (single and tandem axle), and the 18-foot 1970's fifth-wheel I saw a few years ago, roughly 20-foot Travelaire 5th wheels from the 1980's, and small fifth-wheels from Europe, and who knows what else.

Typically, sales people know only enough about the market for their product, and even the product itself, to sell to people who know even less than they do. For a knowledgeable buyer, sales people are just clerks to check pricing and available options, and to process a purchase.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 Somehow I don’t think the towing experience would be quite the same ...
It's taller, and longer, so it would be different; the higher centre of mass would make it less stable and controllable. It is likely less stiff in torsion due to body construction, although I don't know if that would really matter. It has essentially the same chassis design and suspension as a 5.0TA, with tires that are wider to suit the higher weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Impulse buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... The only "Impulse buying" I do is "Cheesies"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
Went to the supermarket this afternoon. Impulse bought beer nuts and a bear bottle of honey and some cornbread mix. Evidence will be gone in a day or two.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:

Not the first... I've seen plenty of 9,000+ lbs gvw 5th wheel manufacture web sites touting as 1/2 ton tow-able over the last few years in my search for the Escape. And F150 3.5 liter eco boost "can" per spec if you believe you tube and the nice vids you can find there. I'd never try it! I may not understand all the specs/gvw/etc. but I'm not that dumb either.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
My experience is that traditional trailer dealers like to say that they have never heard of ESCAPE TRAILERS.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote