5th Wheel Owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
5th Wheel Owners

Looking into ordering either the 21' trailer or the new 5th wheel, I'm familiar with travel trailers but not 5th's. After looking over both online, I like the layout of the 5th wheel, the bed will work out better for us, I think. I also have heard that 5ths handle better, and I like the idea of keeping the TV/Camper package as small as possible, length wise. If you don't mind I have a handful of questions.

1. How much of your truck bed is still usable with the 5.0 in place? I currently carry outdoor use items, like chairs, Smoky Joe, charcoal, and such in the bed of our truck (I have a cap on it).
2. Have you considered putting on a Tonneau cover on the truck? Some roll or fold up, would it work with the hitch in the bed?
3. I currently have a small side to side external storage area where I store all my hookup hoses and supplies used for dumping, where do you put such in your 5th?
4. Can't tell from the pictures I see, but is there head room to sit on the bed?
5. Any 5th wheel specific options I should look into when ordering?
6. How much of the trailer hangs over the bed, or how long is it from the back of the TV to the back of the camper?
7. After owning your 5.0, If you were ordering a new trailer now, would you get the 5th or the TT?

Thanks
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: padlin... We have owned an Escape 5.0 since 2008 and wouldn't have any other. As a matter of fact we will be picking up our 2014 5.0 Tandem on the 3rd. of June.
#1 lots of useable space but can't crowd the hookup cables.
#2 we always tow with our 3 fold tonneau cover on.
#3the stinky slinky stays in its holder on the rear bumper.
#4 yes you can sit up in bed...but why?
#5 options are just so personal to your style of camping.
#6 total length. of rig is aprox. 32'
#7 answer above. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030398.jpg   P1020904.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #3

Hi: padlin... Here's a couple of interior shots. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1020913.jpg   P1030126.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Hi: padlin... Sorry this is so long but I can only add two pic's at a time. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1020612.jpg   P1020632.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

Hi: padlin... Here's a parting shot taken on our way home from Tenn. rally via S.C. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030291.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm joining the 5er ranks right after Alf, the end of June. Based on what Alf has told you... remember what Reace posted:

The new 5.0 will be based off the 21', so it will be 8" wider than the current 5.0 and 8" longer.
Full 60 x 80 queen bed. Upper bed area will be 5" taller.
6.7 cu. ft. fridge will be standard
56" long kitchen rather than 41"
Larger holding tanks...(not determined yet).

What's not to like!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We chose a 5.0 primarily for ease and safety of towing. No regrets and would select the 5th wheel again. The layout with a master bedroom up front and guest bedroom in the back is a bonus. The decision, I think, comes down to whether you want a pick-up truck and are willing to lose most of the space in the truck's bed for carrying big bulky items.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm joining the 5er ranks right after Alf, the end of June. Based on what Alf has told you... remember what Reace posted:

The new 5.0 will be based off the 21', so it will be 8" wider than the current 5.0 and 8" longer.
Full 60 x 80 queen bed. Upper bed area will be 5" taller.
6.7 cu. ft. fridge will be standard
56" long kitchen rather than 41"
Larger holding tanks...(not determined yet).

What's not to like!
Hi: Donna D... Thanks. My fingers were getting stiff. I'll be retired in 5 weeks then when living next to the fridge will most certainly need more elbow room!!!
All the trips and memories we've made with "Our Escape Hatch"are priceless. Alf
Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob, You do not mention your tow vehicle, that needs to come into the equation also. The fifth wheels traditionally are heavier on the tug versus the traditional bumper pull unit.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
These are out of the brochures Escape Trailer provides. We won't have this information about the new build 5er until one is actually built.

5er build:
Name:  O-50-build.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  20.6 KB

21 build:
Click image for larger version

Name:	21-build.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	3992

19 build:
Name:  19-build.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  29.9 KB
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Bob,
I am another happy owner of the 5.0. I haven't meet anyone who currently owns a 5.0 that would wished they had purchased a bumper pull. Since you have been a member of this forum for 4 yrs., you probably know most of your own answers. I think the single axle 5.0 has the best aerodynamic design for fuel mileage. I lose 1or 2 MPG when towing. If you like to bring it all with you, this is not the rig for you. Truck bed space is limited! Stuff can't ride much above bed height without the chance of damage. The inside layout is great with a cozy bedroom that can be easily curtained off for privacy. The new 5.0 trailer should also be a great trailer for those that want "bigger".
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #12

Thanks for the answers folks. We had looked at a 19'er a few years back up in VT (hence the 4 year membership). My wife had a couple issues with the 19 that the 21 and new 5.0 remedy, small bath, smallish fridge and narrow aisle. so I'm going for it while she has given the okay. After spending my first 3 weeks of retirement replacing my rotted out floor, I'm going with fiberglass.

Alf, #4 yes you can sit up in bed...but why?
I'm 6'2", a few of the truck campers we looked at had a low ceiling where I had to keep my head down getting in and out of the bed. If your wife can sit up on the bed and it's getting 5" more clearance in the next rev, I should be fine. Thanks for all the pictures

I checked with Escape and I can either get the first run in April or wait till October for the next available which will be a bit late for an extended trip. Looking into spring 05.

Jim,
I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost, HD, 4x4 with an 8' bed, 2200 lb payload so weight or power should not be a concern. Hoping the truck is not too high, the top of the bed sides/tailgate are 56" off the ground.

Dave,
Our current trailer is 16' x 7'6", not including the bunk, so we're used to pretty small. I also know that there is very limited space for items that get dirty or wet, like the grill, patio mat and hoses, that's why I asked about space in the truck bed. After Alf's and your answers, with the 8' bed I should have more then enough.

Bob
Old 11-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #13

Hi Bob,
Thanks for better information which helps us help you. I use the 5.0 overhang to somewhat keep stuff out of the weather when camping. And it shades my ice chest from the hot sun while in-tow. There's really not much you should need to order differently from a bumper pull order. Perhaps the propane tank tray. That might be standard now. And of coarse the 5er hitch and maybe a RV tailgate. We are being told that the new 5.0 is designed for help with the higher truck beds. There has been a lot of design improvements since '09. Maybe you can find a new Escape to look at in your area.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #14

As far as seeing newer trailers, I'm hoping to visit Jim once he get his 21 and Kim @ Escape sent me the name of someone in RI who has a new 5.0. I'm going to go ahead and get my name on the build list if I can work out timing to pick it up and a much postponed trip to the Yellowstone/Glacier area of the country.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One thing to watch regarding pin weight is that although it not radically more than the conventional models, the load carried in the trailer seems to be proportionately more forward, so that by the time you hit the road it will be far beyond the 480 pound dry weight of the existing 5.0. This should be less of an issue for the F-150 than for the midsize truck owners, but I would still add up the numbers.

The F-150 started the ridiculously high box side trend. Although the new 5.0 design changes are in part to address these taller trucks, clearance for an F-150 4x4 (especially if "HD" is a taller wheel/tire and suspension package) will still need to be checked.

Fifth-wheel (or really, any trailer hitched over the truck axle) certainly is a clear solution to stability and overall length issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
There's really not much you should need to order differently from a bumper pull order. Perhaps the propane tank tray.
I don't see this in the Escape 5.0 product page listing of options, or in standard features. Is this a pull-out tray, for easier access? I have one in our current (non-Escape) fifth-wheel, and it certainly makes life easier. In my case the two tanks are one behind the other so the sliding tray is needed, but even with side-by-side tanks it would be helpful.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The F-150 started the ridiculously high box side trend. Although the new 5.0 design changes are in part to address these taller trucks, clearance for an F-150 4x4 (especially if "HD" is a taller wheel/tire and suspension package) will still need to be checked.
I asked Escape if I could cancel if the 5.0 does not fit my F150, don't think we'll know till they get one built. I didn't get a clear answer so I'll call this week, sometimes email leaves something to be desired.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #18

Brian,
In 2012, the tanks sat on the plywood side by side. With a tray, the tanks stay bit more secure and don't vibrate into the wood over time. Here is a photo of my propane compartment that has been modified to my needs. Smaller tanks because I don't use that much propane and they are easier to handle. Also it gives me room for a shelf which happens to come out as an extra step and more storage.
Attached Thumbnails
RV Propane compartment 001.JPG  
Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #19

Thanks for the tank setup info. If the tray is just usual fixed base, I would certainly want that to keep them in place and protect the plywood. If it is now standard, I can see why it would be considered a small detail not listed in the features; if it is not, it would easy to add one.

By "smaller", do mean smaller than 20-pound (the stock size according to the web site)? They look like they might be 11-pound, but the photo doesn't show the full height.

A slide-out tray isn't required, but might help with access to the hoses - that's what I was thinking but apparently not what was suggested.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #20

I started using 11# bottles years ago. Mostly for weight reduction. We generally camp with hookups due to the need for AC and use electric heat on that rare occasion that it gets cold here. I use electricity on the hot water heater so propane lasts me forever. My refrigerator gets most of it while in tow.