5th wheel Transport ( Flat Bed) any recommendations? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
5th wheel Transport ( Flat Bed) any recommendations?

Good afternoon group!

I was just curious if anyone knows the name of the transport company that Excape uses to delivery trailers in the USA? If not, I can try asking Escape and see if they will tell me.

If anyone has dealt with a transporter that they were happy with then I would be happy to hear from you about them as well!

I do belong to quite a few classic car related forums and there was always a handful of members that offered to transport cars across the country for others which was nice…. Does anyone on this forum offer this service? I would be happy to hear from you as well!

If I can find a nice 5.0 TA for sale and I need transport for whatever reason then I would like to have some ducks in a row….weather it is towed on its own 4 wheels or flatbeded. Either is fine.

There is a reason why I would need transport and may not be able to go myself. This is why I am asking.

Thanks all!
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #2

If I could ask a separate question as well…

If I purchased a used trailer in Canada, how about a broker/transporter to get it to NY and import it?
Old 10-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
I was just curious if anyone knows the name of the transport company that Escape uses to delivery trailers in the USA?
The logistics company name eludes me now but they were based in Canada.

Quote:
If not, I can try asking Escape and see if they will tell me.
Try Amanda Rahn at direct email delivery@escapetrailer.com, she was the helpful person who coordinated my recent delivery to Denton, TX.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!
Old 10-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The logistics company name eludes me now but they were based in Canada.

Try Amanda Rahn at direct email delivery@escapetrailer.com, she was the helpful person who coordinated my recent delivery to Denton, TX.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!
Hi Alan, I sent Amanda an email. I appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #5

Ok, update from Escape (super fast reply!) she said that the transport company that they use only deals with commercial exports, and they only do delivery of new goods, not pre-owned vehicles or trailers.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
If I could ask a separate question as well…

If I purchased a used trailer in Canada, how about a broker/transporter to get it to NY and import it?
It's funny but after I saw your first post I wondered if you were to buy an Escape in Canada I could possibly offer to deliver it to Niagara Falls ON depending where you purchased it. You would have to import it to the US yourself.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #7

Emers382, I can send you a PM to discuss…..
Old 10-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok, update from Escape (super fast reply!) she said that the transport company that they use only deals with commercial exports, and they only do delivery of new goods, not pre-owned vehicles or trailers.
Well, cool that Amanda got back to you quick and with an explanation - good luck with your continuing search!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #9

Well, I found a nice 5.0 TA in Alberta Canada, if purchased…..need to find a hauler. The owner said I could get it picked up before November 15th this year or it will have to wait till spring of 2022 (which I am ok with).

I guess the problem would be that I would need to find a person to hitch up and tow it 1700 miles through Canada to Niagara Falls NY…..or……..find a person that can flat bed it but how to load it? It’s not like the owner has a crane or a forklift or anything of the sorts. I’m not sure how Escape does it.

Lastly, I would need help importing it (broker) or if I can go on the Canadian side (I live 10 minutes from the border) maybe I can import myself and meet the hauler…… and go across with it.

Any hauler recommendations would be appreciated. Lots of flexibility on pickup dates into 2022. Thanks group!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
I guess the problem would be that I would need to find a person to hitch up and tow it 1700 miles through Canada to Niagara Falls NY…..or……..find a person that can flat bed it but how to load it? It’s not like the owner has a crane or a forklift or anything of the sorts. I’m not sure how Escape does it.

I don't know how ETI loads them, but they unload them at towing companies using Ro-Ro tow trucks. A Ro-Ro is a medium duty truck with a flatbed that can tilt and slide. Think of a re-po man.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I don't know how ETI loads them, but they unload them at towing companies using Ro-Ro tow trucks. A Ro-Ro is a medium duty truck with a flatbed that can tilt and slide. Think of a re-po man.
I wonder how they support the front end of a 5.0 though……do they do the scraaaape escape
Old 10-30-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
I wonder how they support the front end of a 5.0 though……do they do the scraaaape escape

Probably put some small dolly wheels under the jack stands.

I shoulda took some pictures of them unloading my Escape, but I had a lot going on at the time.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
The ETI transport driver was carrying two hard rubber 'caster wheels' that slide over the 5.0 jack legs replacing the standard pin-on footplate. Those were special fabricated casters with ball-bearing wheels and swivel plates, not the same as typical RV jack wheels, though I suppose the latter would work. The 5.0 had the footplates installed during transport, he installed the casters just before the ro-ro arrived, lifting one leg at a time.

With my 5.0 on the trailer facing the back (there was an E19 loaded behind it facing forward) the ro-ro cable was fastened to the 5.0 front axle using a cloth snatch-strap. I was concerned about pulling on the center of the axle but the ETI driver assured me that's how it's done since there's nothing else to 'grab' when oriented that way. The axle is low enough (at least on mine with the lift-kit) that the ro-ro cable doesn't touch the grey-water tank forward of the axle. If the 5.0 is on the trailer facing forward they grab the rear bumper.

BTW, we had already conversationally established that the ETI transport driver had been delivering Escape trailers for over a decade (many, many of them), he was very friendly and confidence-inspiring in his carefully methodical practices, never rushing at all with anything, giving careful guidance to the 'unfamiliar' ro-ro crew.

Here's the sequence after the casters were installed and the 5.0 pulled to the rear of the transport trailer by the ro-ro, hope this helps ...
Attached Thumbnails
01 unload.jpg   02 unload.jpg   03 unload.jpg   04 unload.jpg   05 unload.jpg  

Old 10-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #14

Wow, great pics Alan!

I think trying to arrange delivery on my own from Canada to The USA myself (buying a preowned unit) is going to be a nightmare.

No one will know how to load it ( unless it’s pulled by truck) and no one will have those wheels to unload it (again, unless pulled by truck) Then there is the whole paperwork/border customs wall you have to get over….I can see a trailer getting damaged very easily in this process.

I may have to reserve myself to finding one stateside and hoping to find a guy that will haul it heading this way towing it with his/her truck. Would be cool to find and meet a forum member that has one and is familiar with the tow & looking to make a few bucks.

Thanks again for the pics, that explains a lot Alan! I appreciate it.