90 Degree Entry Door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
90 Degree Entry Door

We're currently in Sequoia National Park, three weeks into our maiden voyage with our 5.0 TA we picked up on October 26. I had previously talked in another thread about being informed we would not be getting a friction entry door, but instead would be getting the 90 degree entry door. Forgive me if this has already been posted, but when I talked about it a month ago no one seemed to know about this door.

It opens a little over 90 degrees (more than the pictures show) and has a hydraulic cylinder at the bottom to dampen the opening/closing. The door opens at a nice pace and stays open until closed. It seemed awkward at first, but after three weeks we really like it. No stiff door like the friction doors and don't have to clip it open like the old fashioned free swinging doors. Of course the jury is out long term, but it's the best door we've had on a camper so far.

When we get home in December I'll post more about the various build features we chose and how they worked out.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for the update...
I am not sure I would like this as we keep the door open as much as possible and I consider this more awkward than open.
Looks like you have drip rails over the windows as well.
Enjoy your new trailer and trip...looking forward to your updates later.
Attached Thumbnails
7384CDCE-7929-4FF8-A6BC-528D6EB141E9.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I know we all have different taste but I agree I like the door to open all the way. I also wonders what happens if you lose your balance entering or exiting the trailer and fall into the door what would happen?
We have the 1st generation and would say only thing we miss is the pass through in the screen door that we had in our Casita.
Enjoy your maiden journey and look forward to hearing more.

Safe and fun travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I know we all have different taste but I agree I like the door to open all the way. I also wonders what happens if you lose your balance entering or exiting the trailer and fall into the door what would happen?
We have the 1st generation and would say only thing we miss is the pass through in the screen door that we had in our Casita.
Enjoy your maiden journey and look forward to hearing more.
That was one of my first concerns when we saw the 90 degree door.

The door is robust enough not to bend or break if someone were to lose their balance. I actually don't want to think what would happen if I lost my balance and didn't have a door to help guide me half the time. I believe this provides safety in a balance situation.

Fifteen years ago Terry lost her balance stepping out our previous 5th wheel with too small steps, like Escape, Scamp, Casita have, and fell. She didn't break anything, but now in her 60's, who knows what would happen. When losing balance leaving the camper we tend to fall forward and the door would provide a guide 50% of the time.

Because of that fall we purchased a large adjustable step and have used it on all our campers since then. We feel much safer with that step there before we reach the ground. The other day we had to raise the door side to level the trailer. If we only had the Escape provided step the final step to the ground would be much to high for safety. I find that much more of a concern than the 90 degree door, but I see many campers not have a adjustable step in that situation.

The door is also constructed so you can remove the hydraulic cylinder and have a conventional door that you could lock in place if you installed the locking mechanism on the door and side of the camper. I do know of one friction door that has loosened and no longer works as a friction door.

It will be interesting to hear other's opinions who actually have used the door for some time, and also Rease's reason for the door change.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Thanks for the update...
I am not sure I would like this as we keep the door open as much as possible and I consider this more awkward than open.
Looks like you have drip rails over the windows as well.
Enjoy your new trailer and trip...looking forward to your updates later.
If you get the frameless window option, Escape installs the drip rails, framed windows do not have this accessory.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
First I've heard of this door. Not sure how we will like it on our soon to be built 5.0TA. We often like to have the front door open and screen door closed, seems like this will restrict the view out the front door quite a bit. Sure seems like it would catch a lot of wind when it's open 90 degrees in a breeze. This wouldn't be the first "new thing" that my initial reaction has been negative to and then upon using it I found that it was just fine, so I'll reserve judgement until we've used it.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
First I've heard of this door. Not sure how we will like it on our soon to be built 5.0TA. We often like to have the front door open and screen door closed, seems like this will restrict the view out the front door quite a bit. Sure seems like it would catch a lot of wind when it's open 90 degrees in a breeze.
The open door with closed screen offers plenty of view and yet it stops people walking by from looking in your camper giving you more privacy.

We usually have the door open in a breeze and have done this on our maiden voyage, but on our older campers had it closed in heavy gusts anyway, so time will tell if this is a problem.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We saw this new door and strut combination on our visit to ETI in October. It’s their new solution to the friction door. Their explanation was that the original door with the latch to hold it open had complaints from owners so they went to the friction door. Complaints again. The new frictionless door and strut is their latest solution. I have my doubts as well since it only opens 90 degrees. We like the door wide open when possible. I am thinking the strut can easily be removed if we don’t like it and I can install a retainer on the door and trailer if necessary.

Like others, I’d like to hear what other owners experience is before we pick up our new 5.0 next summer.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We saw this new door and strut combination on our visit to ETI in October. It’s their new solution to the friction door. Their explanation was that the original door with the latch to hold it open had complaints from owners so they went to the friction door. Complaints again. The new frictionless door and strut is their latest solution.
I wonder if this door was on display when we were at ETI in late September and we just didn't notice it? I guess there's no pleasing everyone....however, what I see is another example of ETI continually making changes to their product in response to customer feedback - how many RV manufacturers do that?
Old 11-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2023 21
I have now had both, the "friction" door and the"90 degree" door. I much prefer the friction door. I would like the door to open all the way, but my biggest concern is the screen door. It doesn't go all the way to the threshold. it stops a couple of inches short to allow for the opening cylinder. There is a brush like material to try and cover the opening, but it doesn't work very well, it gets bent sideways leaving holes for bugs to come through. I don't consider the 90 degree door a step forward in the evolution of Escape trailers. It will be interesting to see what the creative minds on this forum come up with for a fix.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
We have had our 21' for 11 days and I have to say the new door is a big improvement over anything we've had in the past.
My biggest complaint about previous doors was the tendency to get away from you in windy conditions and slamming back into the side of the trailer. The best solution to that problem was to install rubber door bumpers on the door and side of the trailer. That worked until we had a trailer that had an awning type window right behind the door. We quickly learned to never open that window.
We don't have a problem with leaving the door open for fresh air. We also don't feel that any view outside is impaired by the open door. If anything, it helps to keep people from seeing in as easily because it is open.
I suppose if you wanted, you could disconnect and remove the control arm to allow the door to open all the way. To each his/her own.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can definitely see some of the pluses that folks mention on this door.
It wouldn’t work for us personally as we live outside under the awning and this impedes into the usable outdoor sitting/living space. Thinking over past camping we always have chairs sitting right in the space where the new door is when its open. We want the door open when are on the patio for various reasons, so closing the door to get it out of the way wouldnt be a solution.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 19’ Reversed Floor Plan
Have the new door on our 19’RFP, and like it. Easier going in & out of Trailer with your arms full. Simple to open & let her go, no need to latch, push, or secure. Did need to add a small foam back spacer on trailer side of screen latch. Plus I like the pass-tru in screen door.
RB Donath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
When we picked up our 21' in September, another couple was there, also picking up a 21'. ETI mentioned that we had the 'old' friction door and the other trailer had the 'new' door (first we had heard of the door change). The other couple didn't realize it only opened to 90º and weren't happy but Reace explained about how to remove the arm at the bottom of the door in order to allow it to open fully. Having had the 'old' door on our 19' and now the friction door, I have no preference one way or another. Don't think I would be thrilled with the new 90º door, but it's nice to know there's a work-around.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
When we picked up our 21' in September, another couple was there, also picking up a 21'. ETI mentioned that we had the 'old' friction door and the other trailer had the 'new' door (first we had heard of the door change). The other couple didn't realize it only opened to 90º and weren't happy but Reace explained about how to remove the arm at the bottom of the door in order to allow it to open fully. Having had the 'old' door on our 19' and now the friction door, I have no preference one way or another. Don't think I would be thrilled with the new 90º door, but it's nice to know there's a work-around.

Any idea what Reace told them? We are thinking about permanently removing it but if there is an easy way to temporarily detach it to open the door fully that may meet our needs.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I only know that Reace told them they couldn't swap out the 90º door for the friction because of the mounting. He said if they wanted to open the door fully, they could (temporarily) undo the tension arm at the bottom. You might want to call ETI to find out how easy it is to remove.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Any idea what Reace told them? We are thinking about permanently removing it but if there is an easy way to temporarily detach it to open the door fully that may meet our needs.
This works to keep the old door from crushing the open front awning window on the 19. It may also work on the new door if you undo the strut.
It is two magnetic tipped door stops used tip to tip. Fully automatic...
Attached Thumbnails
758FFA29-1DFE-4154-ACEE-BDC42ADAA0B6.jpg   938693C0-6A6B-4CC4-B197-E93C997C30F9.jpg   7ECC38B1-B22D-488D-86E7-ADC5E53B6446.jpg   7D5740B9-0E8C-44B2-974A-224265EE21CD.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
You might want to call ETI to find out how easy it is to remove.
Remove four screws. Perhaps two or three minutes of your time.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

We're currently in Sequoia National Park, three weeks into our maiden voyage with our 5.0 TA we picked up on October 26. I had previously talked in another thread about being informed we would not be getting a friction entry door, but instead would be getting the 90 degree entry door. Forgive me if this has already been posted, but when I talked about it a month ago no one seemed to know about this door.

It opens a little over 90 degrees (more than the pictures show) and has a hydraulic cylinder at the bottom to dampen the opening/closing. The door opens at a nice pace and stays open until closed. It seemed awkward at first, but after three weeks we really like it. No stiff door like the friction doors and don't have to clip it open like the old fashioned free swinging doors. Of course the jury is out long term, but it's the best door we've had on a camper so far.

When we get home in December I'll post more about the various build features we chose and how they worked out.

Enjoy,

Perry

[emoji848] we have the friction door and thought it worked pretty good. Never thought there was any complaints on it. Have thought about a latch to keep it open in heavy breeze. Think if I had the 90 degree set up I would remove that piston. Not immediately as I’m always open to something different.

What I’m really interested in is the gutter set up. These are now standard on the awning windows?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
[emoji848]

What I’m really interested in is the gutter set up. These are now standard on the awning windows?

I believe they’re now standard issue, but our 2017 did not come so equipped, however, when I first heard about them I contacted ETI and asked if they would be available for those of us with the frameless windows whose trailers were built prior to their advent, and was told “Sure!”, so picked up a set gratis when I was up there for other business a couple of months ago. Easy to self-install and a nice, clean design.