?? about TV mount in 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
?? about TV mount in 5.0

We could not get to ETI for TV installation in 5.0 so when delivered our bracket was in a box. I have a couple of questions about how the bracket is mounted.

Installing in berth in standard location where cable comes in.

Where on the inside of that wall do the mount the bracket and what is it screwed into?

I'm thinking about just a 12" 12volt TV. Will that stick out into the clearing or will it be all behind the wall when stowed?

If you have a pic of yours mounted it would be appreciated.

Jim
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It is typically attached to the end of the “wall” (bulkhead) which separates the sleeping loft from the cabinet and drawer on the right hand side of the door as you enter. Or in other words, across from the wardrobe closet. ETI does not recommend leaving the television in place while traveling, though some do. The mount they use separates into two pieces, one attached to the TV, the other piece stays attached to the bulkhead. It can be transported screen down on the bed. I wouldn’t go with anything smaller than 19” in case you want to pivot it around and watch it from the dinette.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I can only speak to what the bracket might be screwed into and it applies to most areas of Escapes. The framing generally has vertical pieces and a few horizontal pieces. Mounting anything like a TV arm near the edge provides all the strength required.

I've sort of gone through the stages of having mobile TVs. My first one was a 5" black and white. But we thought it was great at the time. We've progressed up the scale and now have a 24" Insignia. I have to say, to us, that seems to be about the ideal size.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Ours is a 24" as well, its installed in the dinette on the wall where the fridge is. Its a permanent mount, been all the way across Canada and from Sudbury, Ontario to Texas-Louisiana-Georgia and back home with no issues. we plan on eventually installing a 19" in the bedroom upstairs (I love saying that because my wife is usually upstairs and I hang out downstairs in the dinette). We were really surprised that in all of the southern states (near the Gulf Coast) in all the various RV parks and boondocking spots we stayed we commonly had some to many HD channels over the air with the antennae that Escape installed - excellent.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We have a different bracket than the ETI standard one but installed it in the same way - a couple of long wood screws into the end of the bulkhead, the wood framing inside is solid enough to hold them securely. With the bracket mounted on the end of the bulkhead the TV can be rotated for viewing from the bed or from the kitchen/dinette. Our bracket latches securely in a closed position against the wall and we have traveled with the TV on the bracket and had no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
TV4.jpg   TV3.jpg   TV2.jpg   TV1.jpg  
Old 10-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I installed a mounting bracket on the bed bulkhead and in the dinette on the fridge wall. In near 4 years we have never used the upper one, and the dinette one once. If we were to actually watch more TV, the dinette location makes more sense to us, as we can sit side by side, either with table up or down (we have a couple large cozy pillows), and have better access to drinks and snacks and all other stuff needed during the movie.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
...,,,,, We were really surprised that in all of the southern states (near the Gulf Coast) in all the various RV parks and boondocking spots we stayed we commonly had some to many HD channels over the air with the antennae that Escape installed - excellent.
That really should not be surprising. Most of the Gulf Coast is so damn flat that digital signals are not affected by the terrain and can travel a long distance. There is a trade off of course. Much of what you see on the television is likely to be more “awe inspiring” than a large percentage of the natural vistas. When I first moved to Florida (to escape winter weather) I often told visitors if they saw one acre they had seen the whole state. Now, after 35 years I have revised that to if you have seen three different acres (waterfront, swamp, and everything else!), they have seen the whole State.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I installed a mounting bracket on the bed bulkhead and in the dinette on the fridge wall. In near 4 years we have never used the upper one, and the dinette one once. If we were to actually watch more TV, the dinette location makes more sense to us, as we can sit side by side, either with table up or down (we have a couple large cozy pillows), and have better access to drinks and snacks and all other stuff needed during the movie.
Would love to see a picture of your "lower" one.

We have the "upper" location. First 3 weeks with RV we didn't put TV up. Now that we have it on the next 2 trips... I'm not sure I like the location. It's on my side of the bed... and have to work around it on "my" top storage areas.... also we sit on the steps sometimes and I've banged my head on it, when it was out of position and I didn't realize it. It is great watching TV from Bed tho. Not sure how big it would need to be over dinnette to make it seeable from bed.

Probably would have been better if we put it up from the start and I didn't know what it was like without one!

Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Would love to see a picture of your "lower" one.
I don't have a photo, but could take one when I go by the trailer. The outlet and coax are located on the driver side upper cabinet right next to the fridge. I mounted the support on the side of the fridge.

I would never leave the TV up. It is so easy to take down and store, then it is nicely out of the way (and view) when not in use. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
I don't have a photo, but could take one when I go by the trailer. The outlet and coax are located on the driver side upper cabinet right next to the fridge. I mounted the support on the side of the fridge.

I would never leave the TV up. It is so easy to take down and store, then it is nicely out of the way (and view) when not in use. [emoji4]
Thanks for your trouble!

Guess putting it down would be the way to go... but to keep it hooked up would make it still be on my side... ugh! Probably too lazy to hook and unhook up... but taking it down is very easy. And could put it in that alley by bed.
Thanks for that thought.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Thanks for your trouble!

Guess putting it down would be the way to go... but to keep it hooked up would make it still be on my side... ugh! Probably too lazy to hook and unhook up... but taking it down is very easy. And could put it in that alley by bed.
Thanks for that thought.
I installed a couple elasticized straps along the back of the wardrobe, and an ensolite pad under it. Stores nicely out off the way.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
I installed a couple elasticized straps along the back of the wardrobe, and an ensolite pad under it. Stores nicely out off the way.
Great idea! Would love to see that picture too... when you take the other.

Thanks soooo much!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We decided not to mount our television. Before adding a television we streamed onto a larger laptop that we setup on the kitchen counter. When we added the 24" television we found we liked watching it better on the counter as well.

Storage of the television has not been a problem for us as we store Colleens computer setup above the Microwave cabinet (5.0 TA) and the television fits into that cabinet as well. We just have it laying it down (so far we haven't noticed any ill affects by storing it flat).

We have the TV/cable ready with 120V option, but we have been using a MIFI Hotspot from Verizon which works out well for us. I wouldn't order this option if adding again.
Attached Thumbnails
Television on counter IMG_20200513_152934.jpg  
Old 10-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #14

Here is a photo of the TV setup in the dinette next to the fridge.

And one of the TV stowed in the wardrobe.

The arm is in a bag stowed elsewhere.Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_130435.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	51551Click image for larger version

Name:	20201025_130504.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	51552
Old 10-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Here is a photo of the TV setup in the dinette next to the fridge.

And one of the TV stowed in the wardrobe.

The arm is in a bag stowed elsewhere.Attachment 51551Attachment 51552
Thank you! great ideas!

Old 11-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Hey Jim,
When you mounted your Television bracket in the dinette on the refrigerator wall, what are you screwing into three-quarter plywood? Or was it a 3/4x1/2 stud?

I have a solid three-quarter inch plywood wall and was wondering if two 1 inch wood screws would secure my bracket, which weighs 5 lbs and 24 inch TV that weighs 7 lbs....

Also wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to hit anything on the other side if the screw protrudes past the plywood a wee bit. In this instance it would be the fridge raider and for the dinette area I don’t want to poke into the shower.
Sorry for the fractional inch dimensions I’m not familiar with your metric nomenclature when it comes to wood.
Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote