Advice needed on windows in a 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 w/Maple interior
Advice needed on windows in a 21

Should I order the frameless thermo or the framed windows on a new 21? A friend told me he is having issues with his thermo windows (on a different manufactures trailers...class A). His windows seem to be fogging and he said they are expensive to replace. Anyone having issues with their Escape frameless thermo windows? Your thoughts and advice please?
sailjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
You are going to get many opinions both pro and con for each type of window. We had the framed (sliding) windows on our previous Escape and had no problems with them so, when we ordered our 21', two of our hesitations were the frameless windows and the power awning. The frameless windows didn't thrill us as we liked having a window that slid open to allow more airflow. When ETI made their switch back to the framed windows, we jumped at the opportunity and we're not sorry we did. In addition to the sliders, we have three windows that are the awning-type (in case one wants a window open in the rain): the one over our drawer stack (optional), the emergency window (dinette) and the bathroom. If there was one change I would make, I would ask ETI to give me the sliding window in the bathroom like we had previously. I'm sure the frameless window owners love their choice for their own reasons and I don't think you will go wrong wither either.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
CADreamin is right, there are differing views depending on who you speak to. We had the thermal frameless windows on our 17B and loved them and never had any issues. We have ordered frameless windows on our new 21 to be delivered next month. We loved the low profile smooth look of them. However, we will have to remember not to do them up too tightly
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Being one who has actually owned and used both, mostly using the framed sliders, I see no real advantage to the framed windows other than the fact they do not protrude past the shell when open. I am not considering the fact a few of the frameless have had issues, as ours so far have not.

The frameless awning style look better (though not the top deciding factor vanity does play in there some ), they operate nicer (a simple easy to use crank instead of having to slide the window), are better to use in the rain, and offer just as much ventilation.

In most cases folks definitely justify their choice, as they used their own reasoning for their decision. In many cases though, like these windows, removable power cords, etc, opinion is not based on actually using both, only using one option and just making a best guess on the one they haven't used. In the case of this window decision, I bet the vast majority of those who have had both would still choose the frameless, despite a small few of them having a problem.

The awning though is a more contentious issue with the pros and cons of both having a much broader range and more impactful of factors to consider. I love most of the things the new awning has to offer, but miss a couple of the ones the old had.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

We have the frameless windows on our 5 month old 21'. We had sliders on our Casita (owned 10 years) and didn't like not being able to open them in the rain. We've had no issues with our frameless windows so far ! We like them very much, and have kept them open in the rain many times.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
We have the frameless windows on our 5 month old 21'. We had sliders on our Casita (owned 10 years) and didn't like not being able to open them in the rain. We've had no issues with our frameless windows so far ! We like them very much, and have kept them open in the rain many times.
We've had our 21' for two weeks today. We love the frameless windows also. We had the sliders on our Casita also and hated not being able to open them in the rain.

As for the power awning - it is great! Easy to operate (even DW can do it), extends out father than a lot of awnings we've had in the past and just plain looks good! True, you do have to be mindful of wind and rain, but you have to do that with ANY awning.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a 2017 21 with the frameless windows that has been towed around 14,000 miles. So far, no problems.

As to the electric awning, I wish the manual with arms was available when I bought the trailer. I don't use the awning all that much, but when I do I liked the ability to tip it to let rain run off or shade the low angle sun. Can't do either with the electric version...