Advice on different brand - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2022, 01:38 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
An OSB floor with plastic underneath? When moisture gets between the plastic and the OSB, won't the plastic keep it from drying out?

I'm reminded how Eggcamper routinely applied a coat of resin to the top of their plywood floor, but not the bottom; when I asked the owner/builder why, he said moisture has to go someplace.

If I were building and selling a $30,000 trailer and proclaiming how well I build it, I'd at least use marine plywood, or maybe even something like Starboard. But that's just me, I guess.
On a factory-tour video, the guide says this about the floor: "we install a ¾" Dry-Max flooring; on the other side [i.e. the bottom] we put a plastic Go-Guard [?] . . ." 'Dry-Max' is a Georgia-Pacific OSB product designed for sub-floors; they say it is "moisture resistant." See PDF here. I don't know what 'Go-Guard' is. They put a marine-type nylon covering on top of the floor, which they say cleans easily; I assume it is permeable.

On another thread where I mentioned the Sol Horizon, Chamberman raised the question whether the plastic underneath could get damaged and allow water into the OSB. I suppose it's possible. At least inTech trailers have no wood in the roof or walls.

I figure if I can get five or ten years out of a new trailer, by then I'll probably want a Class C motorhome or something.
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
An OSB floor with plastic underneath? When moisture gets between the plastic and the OSB, won't the plastic keep it from drying out?

I'm reminded how Eggcamper routinely applied a coat of resin to the top of their plywood floor, but not the bottom; when I asked the owner/builder why, he said moisture has to go someplace.

If I were building and selling a $30,000 trailer and proclaiming how well I build it, I'd at least use marine plywood, or maybe even something like Starboard. But that's just me, I guess.
Starboard would not be a good material for a floor. Marine ply would be
Old 01-04-2022, 05:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Why not? If you know, I'd like to know too.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Nope, not just you. The thought of an OSB floor makes my skin crawl. I've seen so much rotten pulpy OSB I'm glad that my Scamp was relatively new and that I sold it before the floor turned to mush.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
I'm interested to hear Jack's reasoning, but my reason would be that a solid polymer (high-density polyethylene) like King StarBoard has very low stiffness, especially for its weight, so it probably a good surface layer and works as a vertical panel, but it's lousy for any load-supporting horizontal panel. Unless it's horribly thick and heavy, it will sag; my guess is that a StarBoard panel laid across a couple of supporting beams at the edges by itself, with nothing on it, will sag noticeably over time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Just like the floor of an Escape...
Old 01-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Heavy, not good for load bearing applications,etc. Even King would discourage you from using this product in this way I believe. Don't get me wrong, its a great product in the correct applications
Old 01-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just like the floor of an Escape...
Have there been many floor failures with Escape trailers?
Old 01-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #29

As I understand the construction (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Escape's belly is molded FG like a tub and the wood floor is laid inside it. But there are some drain channels to encourage any water that might get inside to go to the edges and then out through a small drain hole. But a consistent, frequent leak (from plumbing, a bad window seal, etc) could keep the wood wet long enough to rot it. Yes? No?
Old 01-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Have there been many floor failures with Escape trailers?
None that I know of. Apparently placing a wood floor panel directly on plastic panel that keeps it from drying out isn't necessarily a problem. Lots of floors in moulded fiberglass trailers with this construction feature have rotted out, which is why Escapes (and the designs before it that Reaches copied) have spaces along the edges for drainage... but they still don't allow air circulation for most of the floor to dry it out.

The most successful and reasonably priced design is probably to leave the bottom of the fiberglass exposed, and avoid leaks in the interior. Bolers with bare wood on the bottom routinely go for decades without any rot issues.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:07 AM   #31

seems that the current way that ETI is doing it is working well then, correct?
Old 01-05-2022, 05:46 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
indeed, our Escape has weep holes around the perimeter and sometimes they drip when its cold out.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:34 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
indeed, our Escape has weep holes around the perimeter and sometimes they drip when its cold out.
That happens to me also...............
Old 01-05-2022, 04:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Your Escape is weeping with sadness because it did not get towed on vacation to someplace warm.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Strange things happen

Quote:
As I understand the construction (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the Escape's belly is molded FG like a tub and the wood floor is laid inside it. But there are some drain channels to encourage any water that might get inside to go to the edges and then out through a small drain hole. But a consistent, frequent leak (from plumbing, a bad window seal, etc) could keep the wood wet long enough to rot it. Yes? No?
I suggest that owners of all years check any tabs on the front of the frame that hold the fiberglass shell on. The frame recall added additional tabs to some early models with 3" frames but all trailers have them as far as I know. Examples in the attached pictures. These should have silicone or some other type of quality sealant around all edges of the tab where it meets the shell and I would put some over the end of the bolt and nut. These are likely to get considerable spray from the tow vehicle on a wet road. When I did my recent lithium battery upgrade I had a soft spot in the floor around one of the bolts in the front passenger side dinette bench. It was hidden underneath my battery box which I added when I moved the batteries from the tongue and the linoleum flooring so it went unnoticed. Water must have worked its way in over several trips. It was not fun to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
escape frame 1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2022, 12:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I suggest that owners of all years check any tabs on the front of the frame that hold the fiberglass shell on. The frame recall added additional tabs to some early models with 3" frames but all trailers have them as far as I know. Examples in the attached pictures. These should have silicone or some other type of quality sealant around all edges of the tab where it meets the shell and I would put some over the end of the bolt and nut. These are likely to get considerable spray from the tow vehicle on a wet road. When I did my recent lithium battery upgrade I had a soft spot in the floor around one of the bolts in the front passenger side dinette bench. It was hidden underneath my battery box which I added when I moved the batteries from the tongue and the linoleum flooring so it went unnoticed. Water must have worked its way in over several trips. It was not fun to fix.
Now there's something I never thought of before! Thanks for posting about it.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Now there's something I never thought of before! Thanks for posting about it.
You are welcome. Might be worthy of it's own thread.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #38

MrLynn, have you viewed of a 1-year owner's review of a Horizon? I just came across it and was watching; they detail some honest pluses and minuses, which I found pretty helpful.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
MrLynn, have you viewed this youtube video of a 1-year owner's review of a Horizon? I just came across it and was watching; they detail some honest pluses and minuses, which I found pretty helpful.
Yep, I've watched it (a couple of times, actually). You see a lot more of the two of them than the trailer, but they are pretty funny, and they do hit a lot of the highs and lows of the Sol Horizons.

inTech has, I read, been fairly responsive about fixing some of the lows. The Sol line is pretty new, so plenty of growing pains. That's one advantage of established makers like Escape; they've had a couple of decades to refine the product.
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Yep, I've watched it (a couple of times, actually). You see a lot more of the two of them than the trailer, but they are pretty funny, and they do hit a lot of the highs and lows of the Sol Horizons.

inTech has, I read, been fairly responsive about fixing some of the lows. The Sol line is pretty new, so plenty of growing pains. That's one advantage of established makers like Escape; they've had a couple of decades to refine the product.
We followed the SputterRV’s YouTube channel for a while, and did look into the Sol Horizon as well. As it turns out, they ended up trading their Sol Horizon in on a Grand Design and they did a video on that too. They seem pretty happy with the move.

We decided an Escape trailer was right for us, so we got in line with our deposit in March of 2021. We just signed off on our build sheet this week, with a completion date of 13 May of this year. I sure hope the next four months go by quickly.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote