Advice on good portable solar panels or mats - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I wrote the "Solar Made Easy" several years ago. I believe that was a 90 watt panel. In that day the 19 had the batteries on the tongue as the storage box had not yet been introduced. So the dual sixes were in a pair of black plastic battery boxes mounted on a thick sheet of plywood. For a 19 using the female Bargman connecter is still the easiest method to connect to the wiring on the 19, I believe it is even better today as Escape has beefed up the gauge of wiring. If I were to redo that design I would look for a way to mount the solar controller in the front storage box, remember I did not have that option. Secondly I would look for the heaviest gauge wire that will work on these connectors. Eight gauge may work from the Bargman connector.

I have since made my own extension cord using a 50 ft length of 10 gauge speaker wire. Some use irrigation wire. This is the wire from the solar panel to the Bargman connector. So just beefing things up.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
How is this working for you? I just found a down load from 2014 called "Solar made easy".
What size panel are you using?
Hi we currently have the 80 watt Go Power . We only use the included 15 ft cable . We have the 2 6 volt batteries . Trying to decide how we want to upgrade . Either another 80 watt or ? Really don't want on the roof . We need more because found the 80 watt is not enough . If we bring our Honda 1000 watt gen , in a couple hours running , charged batteries right up . With the 80 watt folding panel doesn't bring batteries back up . We are light 12 volt users . Pump , lights . Didn't use the heater at that time , refrigerator was on propane . In past just had a 29 single and found it was easier to charge up . We need more with the 6 volts . Really would like to not have to use gen . Very happy with the Go Power folding system though . Have spoken to them for advice a couple of times , very helpful . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I wrote the "Solar Made Easy" several years ago. I believe that was a 90 watt panel. In that day the 19 had the batteries on the tongue as the storage box had not yet been introduced. So the dual sixes were in a pair of black plastic battery boxes mounted on a thick sheet of plywood. For a 19 using the female Bargman connecter is still the easiest method to connect to the wiring on the 19, I believe it is even better today as Escape has beefed up the gauge of wiring. If I were to redo that design I would look for a way to mount the solar controller in the front storage box, remember I did not have that option. Secondly I would look for the heaviest gauge wire that will work on these connectors. Eight gauge may work from the Bargman connector.

I have since made my own extension cord using a 50 ft length of 10 gauge speaker wire. Some use irrigation wire. This is the wire from the solar panel to the Bargman connector. So just beefing things up.
Going to read your "solar made easy " Thankyou Pat
Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi we currently have the 80 watt Go Power. Pat
Hi Pat,
As a starting point you could consider that Escape installs a 150 or 160 watt unit with their "solar package". So if you add another 80 watt panel it puts you in the same category as many owners.

If your 80 watt Go Power comes with its own controller you will likely have to upgrade to a bigger controller.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #25

[QUOTE=alanmalk;178602]Hi Pat,
As a starting point you could consider that Escape installs a 150 or 160 watt unit with their "solar package". So if you add another 80 watt panel it puts you in the same category as many owners.

If your 80 watt Go Power comes with its own controller you will likely have to upgrade to a bigger controller.

--
Alan[/QUOTE
Hi Allan , Thankyou that would really be a lot easier . The 80 watt panel only has a 10 on it . And now I can get the 80watt about 100 cheaper then see about another controller . May be the route I take . Pat
Old 01-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Paul, has Escape starting using heavier gauge wire inside the trailer for the 12v power cable from the 7 pin? I thought I remembered when you were helping me with my setup for the 17 that you were concerned with voltage loss on the long run thru the trailer back to the batteries, (which would also have applied to a 21). I do recall something on a thread lately that there is a much heavier cable now, if my unreliable recaller is working tonight.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have also read the comments about heavier gauge wire now in use. The issue is most of the wire is hidden and second it is difficult to look at a piece of coated wire and determine its gauge unless you can read the markings. I just do not think anyone has come out and said "On the 21, Escape is now using an 8 gauge wire from the male Bargman connector to the battery". Note: I am making this statement as an illustration not as a fact.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Did

Did you have to provide the Zamp port? Do you have to have a Zamp brand solar panel ? How much did they charge to put in your port?
yes i had to provide the Zamp port.

I forget how much the charge was to add it at build.

the Zamp port works just fine with my non-Zamp brand solar portable panels.

you'll need to check if the Zamp port works with any other brand, or whatever brand you have.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:09 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Solar suitcase

I use a Renogy 100W solar panel I got on Amazon.ca for about $400 CDN. Works well for me I just clip it on to the batteries in the storage box of my 19 with the leads supplied with the unit. Frame and supports are sturdy and it comes in a good carrying case. I use the controller supplied with the unit.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #30

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Really don't want on the roof . We need more because found the 80 watt is not enough .
Hi Pat,

You mentioned you rather not install a roof solar panel to work with your existing portable 80watt solar. I can relate to that. If your style is to travel more than just do long boon docking stays, you could fully charge your dual 6v batteries en route to next destination. If you tend to stay many days, this will not help.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #31

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I have also read the comments about heavier gauge wire now in use. The issue is most of the wire is hidden and second it is difficult to look at a piece of coated wire and determine its gauge unless you can read the markings. I just do not think anyone has come out and said "On the 21, Escape is now using an 8 gauge wire from the male Bargman connector to the battery". Note: I am making this statement as an illustration not as a fact.
Hi Paul,

I originally mis-eyeballed the gauge running from the battery cut-out switch to the Bargman 7 pin on my 21ft. With egg on face I must say I read the wire and it's not 6 ga as reported but 8 ga.

As I described earlier, on the 21 it run to the front of the trailer under the front bed then down under to what appeared to be a junction box attached to side of frame. From that box the wiring runs to the 7 pin. Did not look further as I have no need for that 8 ga wire, it's too small for my needs.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi Pat,

You mentioned you rather not install a roof solar panel to work with your existing portable 80watt solar. I can relate to that. If your style is to travel more than just do long boon docking stays, you could fully charge your dual 6v batteries en route to next destination. If you tend to stay many days, this will not help.
Pat
Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
What brand of solar panel does ETI use. I would like to read about it. i may want to prewire it for a roof panel and a portable panel, wonder if they do that.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
If you start your day with a full 2 6v battery and drive for 8-10 hours with solar on the roof would you need to put your refrig on propane?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you start your day with a full 2 6v battery and drive for 8-10 hours with solar on the roof would you need to put your refrig on propane?
This topic, as well as many other thoughts you are wondering about, have been covered lots in the past. I would highly recommend reviewing lots of past posts on some of these topics, you will discover lots of thoughts and good information in doing so. Makes for great reading.

Here is a quick site search I did on your query.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/mi...+driving&sa=Go
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
The simple answer is "run your fridge on propane if reasonable" while driving. Many do, some don't.

The more complicated answer is "Maybe". Many variables to consider.
An Escape provided roof panel will be very similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Grape-Solar-G...tt+solar+panel
It will put out roughly 9 amps under optimum conditions (100% sunny, sun directly overhead, cool air temp). Unfortunately life is not optimum so maybe count on 7 amps between 10 am and 4 pm. Add in some power from your tow vehicle, which under ideal conditions could power the fridge all day while running. But - my situation, similar to others, is that the long and skinny wires from the alternator to the fridge have too much voltage drop and hardly contribute anything useful. You won't know until you try it. Finally, the fridge when in the ON cycle will pull roughly 14 amps from the batteries. How often is it ON? Depends on the temperature outside, the contents in the fridge, how often you open the door, and who knows what else. Some folks have reported that their fridge leaks cold air while the trailer is moving.

The bottom line is it may or may not work for you, depending on many factors. I personally find that propane is dependable while driving. As they say - your mileage may vary.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote