advice on some options please? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
At $60 for the grey and black Horst probe sets I'd think it worth it, but everyone situation differs. Order Horst Miracle Probes - Buy Horst Miracle Probes here

I've heard of lucky folks like Jim B before, unlike myself, 2 trailers since 06, both had issues with the probes. Then again, you folks in Alberta eat Poutine, that may be the magic ingredient.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Which doesn't explain why my fresh water tank only shows 2/3 ( or is it 3/4 ) full when I know it is full. Water shot out the overflow and out the filler, but it's not full according to the monitor.

I plan to spray the sensor contacts with electrical contact cleaner.
Right. That one sounds like its not conducting anything. Bad wire?

Also, there are no Horst Probes for the fresh water tank. Those are supposedly not needed because there's no "gunk" buildup in the fresh water tank to affect the probes.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our fresh showed 2/3 full when full. No problem. We knew it was full. Sometimes the black tank would show 2/3 full when emptied. That is likely a matter of TP being caught up. It would soon be right again. Was not any big problem. Basically worked fine and they were all right most of the time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I don't believe that Escape will install the SeeLeveL Probes.
This system is far more advanced than the column-of-lights setup which is stock from Escape and normal for most RVs. If you want it that is a reason to hold off on foaming the bottom. (Only the fresh and grey tanks are affected by the foam - the black tank is above the floor.) I suppose you could cut away just the required area and scrape the underfloor tanks; the SeeLevel can use the original wires so you don't need access to the path of the wiring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If your feet are wet, either the grey or black tank is full.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If your feet are wet, either the grey or black tank is full.
I'm with Glenn on this, quit over thinking! I have all the sensors in Ten Forward.... and I forget they're available. Use your eyes and ears.. you'll figure it out, honest. I mean really...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Glenn on this, quit over thinking! I have all the sensors in Ten Forward.... and I forget they're available. Use your eyes and ears.. you'll figure it out, honest. I mean really...
I agree, and I'm a retired engineer - first words out of my professors mouth teaching the instrumentation class, before he even introduced himself, was "Do not trust your instruments."

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am with baglo, Donna, and Charlie. Keep it simple.

There seems to be a trend in the past couple years to over analyzing, and putting great efforts into fine tuning our trailers with the latest and greatest of gadgets. There seems to be more focus on some of these things, than actually getting out and enjoying camping.

Don't get me wrong, I too like to have nice things, and research lots to find a product I can take pride in owning.

The reason for my concern, is that It seems to me that this forum has raised the stress level of many newbies, worried that if they miss out on any of the many things discussed, items that many insist are a must have, they will somehow be shorting themselves.

I still maintain that if one was to buy the most basic version of any Escape, they could go out camping, and still get the full experience. That to me is what it is all about.

edit: Rereading this, I fear I sound crustier than I meant to be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
LOL Jim,

I didn't deal with any of these details when I lived in a 1958 Chevy 3/4 ton panel truck in college and survived just fine.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #50

Some time ago, I came to the conclusion, that the more stuff I owned, the more stuff I had to stress about.
And, monitoring that stuff just added to my stress.
In my case, ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #51

Trailer: 2016 21' - "Escapee"
Yes, agreed. All the discussions on hydraulic table pedestals, custom fabric/formica/flooring, super duper TV antennas, etc. etc. are making my head spin. For the most part we are planning on going with just ETI's standard options. I'm just hoping to not miss something that's easy and reasonably cheap to do during initial build, but hard or expensive to do later. So far, pre-wire for a tongue jack and pre-wire for a backup camera are on my "probably should do" list. Any other pre-wires I should consider?

I'm used to having no gauges in my Casita now, so gauges in my new Escape will be a bonus. But if I can keep them working longer/better by spending $60 now, vs. a difficult or expensive replacement later, it's probably worth the money.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:31 AM   #52
Site Team

For heaven's sake, are we still talking about tank probes? If you want them, get them. If you don't, don't. We didn't get them because we were overanalyzing anything. We got them because we like accurate readings. Simple as that.

If a newbie is stressed by all the options and mods available, or by a description of a mod and its function, I submit that they are too easily stressed.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #53

I'll admit. I'm easily stressed.
I don't really care if others spend their money on instruments that they think will reduce their stress. Just saying that monitoring these instruments increases my stress.
All I can do is relate my experience.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #54
Site Team

I don't think you qualify as a newbie Glenn.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #55

I donno.

I've acquired stuff that I can't remember what it does or how it works. I've got a collection of cords and adapters that I don't know where they go or what they are for. I bought a label maker a few years back so I could ID cords and such, but I've lost the instructions on how to replace the tape.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #56

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
rbryan4: I think this is the second time you have been negative towards "newbies", which is ironic because you were one yourself not so long ago Please be more patient with newcomers who are seeking out answers and clarifications, and if you are frustrated, please don't post. I, for one, love reading their questions because you can feel their excitement over this great product called an Escape Trailer, and it's contagious
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
rbryan4: I think this is the second time you have been negative towards "newbies", which is ironic because you were one yourself not so long ago Please be more patient with newcomers who are seeking out answers and clarifications, and if you are frustrated, please don't post. I, for one, love reading their questions because you can feel their excitement over this great product called an Escape Trailer, and it's contagious
Lorrie, in no way am I negative towards newbies. I go out of my way to help them, answer their questions, offer advice, you name it. Read the comment again. My frustration was not with them, but with the idea that somehow mentioning mods or additional options was causing them more stress.

Please explain to me where I have not tried to answer a newbie's question, sent them a pm, offered advice, gone out of my way to dig up documentation, shared links, and in many cases, met them and showed my trailer. I too am excited about these trailers, and I too like reading their comments and questions.

By the way, I still consider myself a newbie. A couple camping trips and a new trailer does not a veteran make.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My frustration was not with them, but with the idea that somehow mentioning mods or additional options was causing them more stress.
Obviously aimed at me. You could just quote me, I really would be fine with that. My point was not at all about the mentioning mods and options, but the degree of analysis and discussion that many of these topics receive, and how this is interpreted by new buyers.

I am a poor wordsmith, and do not always write things in the most politically correct way, but will attempt to explain myself a bit.

Over the years, I have had many new members come up to me at the Escape rally, or PM me here, thanking me for comments that attempt to keep things more grounded, as they are overwhelmed with all the over analyzing of many of the topics discussed. This is reality, in that it is a fact that it causes some of them stress, and should not be ignored or brushed off. Many of these people are afraid to come out and post what they feel.

These people are hearing that you have to add this, you must have this option, and this one only makes good sense, and so on. The there are pages and pages discussing one wee thing. Those that are new to the whole idea of buying a trailer of any kind, really don't know what is needed, and are definitely feeling stressed making these decisions. This is why I comment that even with just the included features, you can still have a great camping experience.

Some will say that they don't need to read these threads then, but how do they know which ones are critical to their purchase, or not?

I know most everyone is just trying to be helpful, and in no way would I ever encourage these discussions to stop. I too have been part of them. I loves my mods, and purchases, just as other do theirs. All I suggest is that more patience and understanding is shown towards those newbies whose heads are still spinning at all the options available to them.

Very sorry if I upset anyone here. My intent is only to do good by as many members as possible.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #59
Site Team

Jim, it wasn't specifically "aimed" at you, but at the idea that having more choices and more mods available makes it a more stressful time for new people. It is what it is. If I ever have an issue with you, I'll let you know. I don't. You've been one of the most helpful and reasonable people I've ever met on the forum, and I thank you for it.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #60

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We bought our 17B used and the previous owner had every option added to it.
I enjoy them all but if I had to pay I might pare back the list, alot.
Now that I've had the thing for a week, I'd say a few things would be mandatory and if it didn't come with them I'd be retro fitting down the road.
Dual batteries, we are never plugged in so we need the capacity.
Solar Panel, again we are never plugged in so this is a must.
The front storage box, it really helps by holding all of the dirty stuff out of the trailer.
Extra Windows, minimum being the bathroom window.
That's my short list.

Everything that comes with the stock 17B is a real step up from my truck camper that we have had for more than 15 years. It had, dual batteries and a solar panel and I always towed a small utility trailer for the dirty stuff.
I enjoy the a/c and the spray foam and the removed wardrobe but I might only pay for the 'a/c ready' for resale value.
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote