advice on some options please? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've had a 1.7 in my old pop-up, the 3.0 in my 17, and now the 4.3 in the 19. I've struggled a little bit with refrigerator temperature problems with all of them, but never significantly enough to lose food. We always carry a good cooler with lots of ice, which is where the cerveza resides anyway. And, those little freezer compartments couldn't possible carry enough ice for gin and tonics, so we need a cooler from the get-go.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #82

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Folks;
As long-time campers (over 50 years including backpacking and car camping and having owned a Tab for 9 years), we knew how we camped (and were likely to in the future). Thus, option choices were not very stressful for us. We're getting our 17B on Aug. 14th. What has become somewhat stressful is the apparent marginal to poor performance of the 3-way refrigerators. Going from an icebox to a refrigerator was one of the primary reasons we are upgrading from the Tab. Hopefully, we will not experience the problems that other people are reporting. The possibility of buying a highly regarded Escape and getting a problematic refrigerator is stressful!
Dave
Dave,

If you have ordered the RM 8551 4.3 fridge you need to express your concerns about performance to ETI. if you have been reading the many posts about this fridge you know it's performance depends on how it is installed. If you haven't read the posts do a search and read. Ask Reace at ETI how they are installing them these days. Is the cavity baffled and insulated. Do the exterior fan/fans on the fridge come on to remove hot air from the back of the fridge. Can you expect the fridge to keep food at a safe temp when camping in temps above 85 degrees.
Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Folks;
As long-time campers (over 50 years including backpacking and car camping and having owned a Tab for 9 years), we knew how we camped (and were likely to in the future). Thus, option choices were not very stressful for us. We're getting our 17B on Aug. 14th. What has become somewhat stressful is the apparent marginal to poor performance of the 3-way refrigerators. Going from an icebox to a refrigerator was one of the primary reasons we are upgrading from the Tab. Hopefully, we will not experience the problems that other people are reporting. The possibility of buying a highly regarded Escape and getting a problematic refrigerator is stressful!
Dave
While I am not sure if you ordered something larger, I have the original 3 way Dometic that came with my 2009 17B (model RM2354). It has always worked well, even in over 100 degree weather. However I do have the air conditioner on when it is that hot, too.
I do carry food in coolers, chill the refrigerator, then use it, once at the campsite after it has cooled down. I sometimes have used it as an icebox prior to the full initial cooling. It appears that the smaller ones are not having problems, but I could be wrong.
Further, I would not worry as ETI, appears to be doing everything in their power to rectify problems.