AGM vs Wet Cell - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Yep, or installing that on/off switch!
Well, I have all the documentation through detailed pictures if you need it. Just send me an email.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Bear in mind that AGM batteries are capable of offgassing under extreme charging conditions and could set off the propane alarm just as flooded acid batteries have been known to do. I would still containnthem in a battery box that is well sealed.
Thanks Carl, Somone mentioned that you replaced yours with AGMs. Have you been satisfied? And, what brand did you use?
Thanks!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Thanks Carl, Somone mentioned that you replaced yours with AGMs. Have you been satisfied? And, what brand did you use?
Thanks!
One point to remember about sealing a battery box. Hydrogen is the lightest gas available, and can "sneak" through what looks to be a well sealed battery box. Ever see how fast a rubber helium balloon deflates? And, that is a "thicker" gas than hydrogen. All in all, it is very difficult to get a practical seal on a box that has a removable lid & wires coming out of it.

Venting the battery box helps, but unless the vent is at the top of the box, you are likely to still have some leakage.

Oops, wrong quote, but still a problem.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
All in all, it is very difficult to get a practical seal on a box that has a removable lid & wires coming out of it.

Venting the battery box helps, but unless the vent is at the top of the box, you are likely to still have some leakage.
This is exactly my issue with my aftermarket Quickcable box. It isn’t sealed where the wires enter and the vent is up as high as practical on the side of the lid, but not the highest point. I will put in some effort to seal better and see if that improves the situation.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I just installed a lighted kill switch on the propane detector. First day camping and on solar and the camp host tracked me down while at the beach. “your camper is alarming and some nearby campers have reported it to me”. Well, I failed to hit the kill switch. So alarms.

It is now seven days from that impromptu alarm and I finally turned my propane detector back on. Yes it is lighted, but only when on. So for that period I was unprotected. It was warm, the windows were open etc, maybe I was safe. Do I have to install a fully lighted switch so I can see when it is off? There has to be a better solution.

What is that?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do you need a battery box for AGMs? Can't they be positioned any way you want, as in laying on their side?
Generally yes, but not upside down (or at least not whatever position blocks the valve-controlled relief vent).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:15 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
There has to be a better solution.

What is that?
I've considered moving the alarm away from the batteries but it hasn't gone off for a long while. Then again, maybe I forgot to reconnected it.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I've considered moving the alarm away from the batteries but it hasn't gone off for a long while. Then again, maybe I forgot to reconnected it.

I moved mine to the opposite side of the trailer. This worked for a while but it managed to go off a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. It must be dirty and needs vacuuming. There's no way leaking hydrogen from a venting battery could make its way across the trailer to the detector-- it would go straight to the ceiling instead and out the roof vent.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Bob, maybe you have the best idea, a permanent kill switch.

Mike, that was not a vote of confidence to move the sensor. Back to Bob’s idea!
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Thanks!
I like the fact that there is literally no maintenance with the AGMs and they seem to recharge faster. Overall, I have been satisfied. The brand I bought is Lifeline, can’t remember the part number but can be identified by physical dimensions equivalent to the Interstate batteries used by ETI. I do, however, make it a practice to valve off the propane tank(s) when not in use as I switch off the alarm when I (we) are not sleeping. I have had aerosols set it off in the past when propane and hydrogen could not have been the cause. Basically, I have accepted that the propane alarm, although a necessary item for safety and peace of mind, can be a major PITA, and I don’t think that my opinion will be altered until someone invents an alarm which detects ONLY propane. But I doubt that will ever happen as these are “limited use” items and research for new products are all about what kind of money can be made and not about convenience for the actual users.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The brand I bought is Lifeline, can’t remember the part number but can be identified by physical dimensions equivalent to the Interstate batteries used by ETI.

Carl: My guess based on a previous post where you mentioned 220 AH would be the Lifeline GPL-4CT. Nearly the same length and width as the Interstates but about an inch shorter.

GPL-4CT - Lifeline Batteries
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RL
I'm not an Escape owner, just a dreamer of owning one. My wife doesn't want to go that small so I tow a 33' Grand Design Reflection 5er behind a Ram 3500 Mega cab dually (oh for the want of a smaller rig but this well be our last rig because of our age).

But just to ask if by chance does anyone that has the alarm going off have a dog that lays close to the propane alarm? This has been noted by others when the dog passes a little gas the alarm can go off. Just a thought.

Butch
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Do you need a battery box for AGMs? Can't they be positioned any way you want, as in laying on their side?
I had originally wanted no battery box or vent on my build as I planned on using AGMs, but Reace said he had to install one to protect the next owner should they go back to flooded. Other than I wish I never had the vent, the box is nice as it holds the batteries in place well. You can install an AGM on it's side if you wish, though that would not be very advantageous in a dinette bench.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #34

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I was worried about the off gassing causing my alarm to go off so far no issues.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote