AGM vs Wet Cell - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
AGM vs Wet Cell

Greetings all, hope everyone is having a great camping season. I have 2 6V wet cell batteries (and a propane alarm right next to them that keeps going off). My question is has anyone swtiched from the wet cell to AGM batteries? Any pros and cons?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Dave, when I had my Casita I switched out the factory 12v wet cell with LIfeLine AGM. On my 5.0TA I had ETI install 2 6v Crown AGM's. If they were not so expensive I would probably try Lithium Batteries given maintenance free aspect and weight savings.

Nothing wrong with the wet cell. I just do not like checking and filling the wet cells and prefer the maintenance free aspect of AGM. Everyone prefers what they prefer. Not saying one is better than the other.

Propane alarms are very sensitive and many things can set them off/false alarm such as perfume, hairspray, air fresheners etc.

If you have a battery box that is sealed and vented to outside and not being overcharged I would be hard pressed to think it was the batteries. But I could be wrong as well.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'm shopping for group 65 batts right now for my F250 7.3 diesel... Deka Intimidator AGMs are only $199 each in that size at the local auto parts store that carries Deka (East Penn), which is quite a bit cheaper than a lot of other AGM's in that size.. My experiences with Deka batteries has been really good so far, albeit mostly with wetcell batts... i'd seriously look to see if they have AGM in RV sizes (hmm, they make a wet cell GC-2, but they do have AGM in 12V Marine sizes).

East Penn is one of the primary lead acid manufacturers in the USA, along with Johnson Controls (Interstate, Costco, Walmart, etc etc) and Exide (toxic waste, insider trading, resold as Home Depot and many others). East Penn makes branded batteries for Mercedes USA, BMW USA, Catepillar heavy equipment, etc etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Propane alarms are very sensitive and many things can set them off/false alarm such as perfume, hairspray, air fresheners etc.

If you have a battery box that is sealed and vented to outside and not being overcharged I would be hard pressed to think it was the batteries. But I could be wrong as well.
C&G in FL replaced his wet cells with AGM's and has not had a false propane alarm since (at least as of sometime last year). I moved twin 6V wet cell batteries inside in a "sealed" and vented battery box when I did my mini-split A/C upgrade and needed room on the tongue. I didn't have any false alarms until I made the switch so it stands to reason that some hydrogen gas is leaking out into the trailer cabin. I have thought about a small brushless DC fan in the vent tube to keep the battery box under negative pressure but really didn't want another draw on the batteries when boondocking. Might bite the bullet and go to AGM on the next round...
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Propane alarms have a "life expectancy" of five years. Maybe time to replace it?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Propane alarms have a "life expectancy" of five years. Maybe time to replace it?

Donna: I thought the same thing as our propane alarm was original from 2010. Replaced with brand new and the problem has persisted.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
C&G in FL replaced his wet cells with AGM's and has not had a false propane alarm since (at least as of sometime last year). I moved twin 6V wet cell batteries inside in a "sealed" and vented battery box when I did my mini-split A/C upgrade and needed room on the tongue. I didn't have any false alarms until I made the switch so it stands to reason that some hydrogen gas is leaking out into the trailer cabin. I have thought about a small brushless DC fan in the vent tube to keep the battery box under negative pressure but really didn't want another draw on the batteries when boondocking. Might bite the bullet and go to AGM on the next round...
I hadn't really thought about it but my propane alarms went away when I installed a flow-rite battery filler. It was hard to get to one of the batteries to fill so I thought the flow-rite would be a good idea. I guess, at the same time, it also stopped the venting issue.
Attached Thumbnails
flow-rite.jpg  
Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I hadn't really thought about it but my propane alarms went away when I installed a flow-rite battery filler. It was hard to get to one of the batteries to fill so I thought the flow-rite would be a good idea. I guess, at the same time, it also stopped the venting issue.
Thanks for the info. You also reminded me that I tried the Water-Miser battery vent caps, but they have not worked in stopping our nuisance alarms.

www.flowsystemsusa.com/water-miser-vent-cap.html
Old 06-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Speaking of AGM batteries & 21's, has anyone attempted to install 2 Lifeline GPL-6GT in place of the stock batteries? These are 300 amp hour L-16 6V AGM batteries that are 10.28" long by 7.06" Wide by 13.02" high. If so, how did you hold them in place & protect the terminals? While the batteries will fit under the seat, the only battery box that would fit them that I've found is a NOCO HM462, which won't fit.

With the pair of solar panels on the roof, I could make use of the extra amp hours when dry camping over the winter...
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Speaking of AGM batteries & 21's, has anyone attempted to install 2 Lifeline GPL-6GT in place of the stock batteries? These are 300 amp hour L-16 6V AGM batteries that are 10.28" long by 7.06" Wide by 13.02" high. If so, how did you hold them in place & protect the terminals? While the batteries will fit under the seat, the only battery box that would fit them that I've found is a NOCO HM462, which won't fit.

With the pair of solar panels on the roof, I could make use of the extra amp hours when dry camping over the winter...

How about another set of 6's?, if you have the U, maybe under the passenger side bench?

Any idea if adding a single 12 to a set of 6's would work?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How about another set of 6's?, if you have the U, maybe under the passenger side bench?

Any idea if adding a single 12 to a set of 6's would work?
I'd rather not mix technology, and a set of 4 AGMs is pricey! I also use the passenger seat area for storage (added an outside door) and most of the underneath of the "U" is taken up with the Lagun supports & my filler boards to make up a rear bed.

I found some nice terminal caps that would protect them, but still need a way to tie them down. At 90 pounds each, I don't want them flopping around!
Old 06-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do you need a battery box for AGMs? Can't they be positioned any way you want, as in laying on their side?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Bear in mind that AGM batteries are capable of offgassing under extreme charging conditions and could set off the propane alarm just as flooded acid batteries have been known to do. I would still containnthem in a battery box that is well sealed.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

If those are AGM batteries, you don't need a battery box just strap them down to Some tie-down Loops or hooks
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #15

Thanks Everyone, still debating which way to go. FYI Donna D, should have mentioned and agree with Rubicon 327, we replaced our propane detector 2 years ago to no avail. I am thinking of installing an on/off switch, just hesitant about disabling a safety feature.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I put 2 AGM 6 volt batteries in my 21. The vent tube is snug against the batteries, so I am not sure how well the batteries would vent if necessary.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Thanks Everyone, still debating which way to go. FYI Donna D, agree with Rubicon 327, we replaced our propane detector 2 years ago to no avail. I am thinking of installing an on/off switch, just hesitant about disabling a safety feature.
I've been thinking about the switch too, especially with the big trip coming up. I'd add a big ole note on the inside propane tank cover that says "Turn on the propane alarm!" But you guys always have your propane on...

Wonder if it's because the lid to the batteries is leaking "gas" some how? Maybe a run of No Residue Duct tape around the top of the lid to seal it? Can you tell I'm thinking out loud here?
Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #18

Completely resealed the battery box with automobile door weather stripping. I put a dowel behind the battery by the vent because it is so snug there is no room and even with the dowel there is very little room. We ended up with the rangers calling us last week when we were camping because the alarm was going off and we weren't there!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We ended up with the rangers calling us last week when we were camping because the alarm was going off and we weren't there!
THAT must have been exciting Guess you're now to either getting different batteries or moving the alarm...
Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
THAT must have been exciting Guess you're now to either getting different batteries or moving the alarm...
Yep, or installing that on/off switch!