Ahern2 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

For example: some like the idea of an electric awning that goes in and out at the touch of a button. The electric awning is great for shade. However, the problem with this is either you can't have it out in the rain, have a pole in the way in the middle of the awning to shed the rain, or don't have it out in the rain.

Perry

There is an intermediate position that is programmable. We have ours set to about 3 feet out from the trailer. At this distance it sheds rain admirably and provides enough cover for a "front porch mode" that keeps you dry as you enter and exit the trailer.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Camera after thought - it is also great when it comes to switching lanes, I do know when that vehicle in the next lane is beyond the back of my trailer.
To be fair to us who prefer mirrors, they can tell you when it is safe to change lanes. With mirrors you can always see where someone is behind you unless it is a tiny car inches from your trailer for some reason.

Safety is often used as a reason for a backup camera, but this is just plain false. It is maybe a convenience to some folks and a nice techie option, but proper towing with mirrors is totally safe. I have towed many hundreds of thousands of miles including long tractor trailer combs and have never once had an incident due to my rear vision using mirrors. Mind you, I did bother at the insistence of my father to practise reversing and using mirrors from before I was old enough for a license. I do appreciate he did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
There is an intermediate position that is programmable. We have ours set to about 3 feet out from the trailer. At this distance it sheds rain admirably and provides enough cover for a "front porch mode" that keeps you dry as you enter and exit the trailer.
I have my intermediate stop step close to 5' out (never actually measured exactly) and have had no troubles in hard rain.

If there is a party of us, or for another reason of leaving the electric awning fully extended in the rain, using a pole is a simple easy manner, it can be extended down to the ground or to the table top if one is under the awning, and this is just one pole instead of the two on a manual.

If folks want a manual instead of an electric awning, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but many who have not even used an electric seem to like to put them down. Both work great in their own ways, and neither is a bad option.

It would be nice to cover all the options both awnings do, and I know the huge one on my friends 37' moho does, but it still has rails that come down that house and support the scissor like rafters but with the 12' height of the top of the awning they are never in the way. One of the biggest things to consider aside from the fact they wouldn't likely fit an Escape is the fact that they are very expensive.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have expressed my opinion and now you have expressed yours. That seems fair.

Are you suggesting I not post my opinions, if they are contrary to yours?

No. However, some opinions are wrong and dangerous. A clearer example would be something like “always carry as much weight on your rear bumper as possible”. Of course no reasonable or knowledgeable person would suggest thus. But do we give it equal air time and just let it go, or do we call it out as an unsafe and dangerous practice?

My comment to you was along similar lines. Rear facing cameras are a useful safety device that provides information to the driver about their surroundings that cannot be obtained otherwise due to visual dead spot created by the trailer. Just because towing can be accomplished safely without rear cameras doesn’t mean they don’t add a marginal additional safety factor.

Never mind. I don’t want to go down this road, actually. Poo Pooh away.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
To be fair to us who prefer mirrors
Sorry Jim, no harm intended, didn't mean to say you weren't safe on the highway. I do have mirrors as well and I have the added advantage of the camera. So maybe you are right, maybe mirrors aren't fair.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
We are ordering our second Escape... Having learned what we use and what we dont...

- manual awning? We have the power awning right now. It was standard in 2017. It has pros and cons. I like the ease of use. DH dislikes the inability to slant it so rain drops off. He also doesn't consider it as sturdy as the manual. We are getting the manual in the new trailer

-solar panels? - We have two. Maybe it's overkill, but we never run the battery down. We like to boondock and the limiting factor is the holding tanks - not the battery. We are ordering two in the new trailer as well

- back up camera? Experienced towers may not need it, but we like it and use it. As much driving as backing up.
Yes, we are getting one the new new trailer as well.

We have the extra insulation and will be getting it in the new trailer. We like to camp in the shoulder season and think it helps. I also think it helps cut the noises out.

Air conditioning. Have it currently, but used it only once (tested it). We plan to get the new trailer without it and add it in a couple of years if/when we go south. If nothing else, I think it is good for resale.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
We love the electric awning it is easy peasy and the extra room we have under it by not having poles in the way..
How can the poles be in the way when they are not under the awning but actually out side it's reach? Also I would think that having to setup a pole in the centre of the electric awning so it could shed the rain would be very annoyng and "in the way."

As Stephen Stills sang for us "love the one (or the awning) you're with"
Old 07-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
You decided to quote me, so here goes.

Yes, I know about the "front porch mode." Some of us want more than that. We want to have our chairs, tables, charcoal grill, etc. and be able to easily use them when we get all-day rain.

Like I said, I understand why one purchases one option and others chose not to or another choice.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
How can the poles be in the way when they are not under the awning but actually out side it's reach? Also I would think that having to setup a pole in the centre of the electric awning so it could shed the rain would be very annoyng and "in the way."

The two arms angled back into the trailer actually create an obstacle on each side except right at the front. We usually chose to swing them out and have them vertical leaving us more room to move around.

Come under our electric awning some times it rains good and I use the center pole. It really is not much of problem at all. One less pole than the manual awning too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #29

Quote:

You could well be right in regards to extra room, maybe it is illusory, but to me it feels roomier not backing up to that post. Do people actually back there chairs up against those poles, seems maybe we might gain a couple extra inches there.

We camped for 3 straight days of rain, we had no problem having the awing out 4 feet or so, no pole was needed. Then when we wanted to retract the awning we did not stand in the rain and slop, we went inside and pushed a button.

These are just my observations for consideration, I not trying to influence anyone. Yes, I do love the one (awing) I am with.

Ronn
Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The two arms angled back into the trailer actually create an obstacle on each side except right at the front. We usually chose to swing them out and have them vertical leaving us more room to move around.

Come under our electric awning some times it rains good and I use the center pole. It really is not much of problem at all. One less pole than the manual awning too.
Good points. But! We usually set up tables or chairs by the side poles so you can't walk there anyways. The horizontal arms that the side poles attach too, provide the support for curtains when extra shade when needed. Also those horizontal arms are good for drying towels, dish cloths, wet bathing suits and any assortment of things that need drying. I've seen the electrics in action and both styles have their good and bad points. That being said the manuals are definitely my first choice. YMMV
Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #31

Quote:
You could well be right in regards to extra room, maybe it is illusory, but to me it feels roomier not backing up to that post. Do people actually back there chairs up against those poles, seems maybe we might gain a couple extra inches there.

We camped for 3 straight days of rain, we had no problem having the awing out 4 feet or so, no pole was needed. Then when we wanted to retract the awning we did not stand in the rain and slop, we went inside and pushed a button.

These are just my observations for consideration, I not trying to influence anyone. Yes, I do love the one (awing) I am with.

Ronn
Personally, I think it's smart of ETI to offer both styles.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Personally, I think it's smart of ETI to offer both styles.
Agreed, I am glad to have had the option.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I find that I can locate a vehicle close behind the trailer, even if I can't see it, by looking for its shadow. I also keep track by looking in the mirror when in a curve. Probably won't help in Kansas, but BC roads have lots of curves.
I agree, an observant driver is going to know if there's someone tucked up so close that you need a camera to tell if they're there.

As I said before, I'm going for two on my 19 to none on my 21. No right or wrong, just a decision based on experience with them previously. If I ever feel the need I'll install one. It's not like it's a now or never decision.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, an observant driver is going to know if there's someone tucked up so close that you need a camera to tell if they're there.

As I said before, I'm going for two on my 19 to none on my 21. No right or wrong, just a decision based on experience with them previously. If I ever feel the need I'll install one. It's not like it's a now or never decision.

Ron
Ron,
When going from a 19 to a 21 I had to add slip on mirrors to my Ram as the 21 is a little wider than the 19 and for ease of observation they help seeing down the sides of the new E21.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 19’ Escape
Quote:
Things we like and would order again if we bought another Escape:

Dual 6V batteries
Solar panel on roof (I would add a second one on my next trailer)
EMS
Backup camera (Useful in many situations)
Power awning (Easy peasy and no obstructions)
Air conditioner

Things I might drop from new trailer:

Inverter (Expensive and we rarely use it)
A couple questions: What is a EMS, and what is the purpose of an inverter?
Can you tell we are first time rv owners? We have had a basic pop up camper for years. K & S
Ahern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
EMS is electrical monitoring system by Progressive- https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c
the inverter allows one to convert their 12v battery system to 120v for short term electrical use, like microwave.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #37

We really appreciate all of your feedback, it really helps to hear from all of your experiences.

- We will be pulling our 19' Escape with a new Toyota Highlander. A couple questions about towing....
-Would we need a equalizer hitch? And why?
-One option is to have an additional "break controller for vehicle" is that recommended?

An unrelated question is about having the ability to watch movies or news . We don't watch much tv but occasionally on long trips might want to watch movies on netflix or amazon . What are some ways to do that. We weren't thinking of getting the tv options, and probably would watch on our computer?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can now download from Netflix to your computer and watch later.
A weight distribution hitch ( aka equalizer ) will improve your comfort by preventing pitching when crossing bumps and improve your safety by making the tow vehicle and trailer feel like and act like a single unit. It transfers weight from the rear axle of the tow to the front axle of the tow and to the trailer axles. And, your headlights won't be pointed at the sky.
Picture one shows attitude of car and trailer without the WDH bars and picture two shows attitude with WDH bars.

You need a brake controller to control the brakes on the trailer. Some vehicles have a brake controller integrated into the braking system. Others don't and require a separate controller. Prodigy P2 and P3 are very popular add on controllers.
Attached Thumbnails
NO WDH1.jpg   With WDH1.jpg  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #39

Quote:
You can now download from Netflix to your computer and watch later.
A weight distribution hitch ( aka equalizer ) will improve your comfort by preventing pitching when crossing bumps and improve your safety by making the tow vehicle and trailer feel like and act like a single unit. It transfers weight from the rear axle of the tow to the front axle of the tow and to the trailer axles. And, your headlights won't be pointed at the sky.
Picture one shows attitude of car and trailer without the WDH bars and picture two shows attitude with WDH bars.

You need a brake controller to control the brakes on the trailer. Some vehicles have a brake controller integrated into the braking system. Others don't and require a separate controller. Prodigy P2 and P3 are very popular add on controllers.
Thank you that is helpful, we will check and see if the Highlander has a brake controller.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahern2 View Post
- We will be pulling our 19' Escape with a new Toyota Highlander.
Does your Highlander have the tow package? If it doesn't, it may not have the tow capacity you'll need.

Quote:
- Would we need a equalizer hitch?
I highly recommend this, especially if you are towing with a non-truck vehicle... e.g. softer suspension, lighter vehicle. I believe an equalizer hitch greatly enhances the comfort of the tow... and safety.

Quote:
-One option is to have an additional "brake controller for vehicle" is that recommended?
A brake controller is a requirement. It makes your vehicle brakes work in concert with your trailer brakes. Without a brake controller, the trailer brakes will not be functional. Also, make sure you learn how to adjust the brake controller... and how to use it in manual mode.

Regarding watching movies... if you are camping at a campground with good wifi or you have an unlimited, unthrottled LTE data plan, you can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Otherwise, download a bunch of movies before your trip or when you are camping with wifi access. Or, if your computer has a DVD drive, you can take DVD movies with you.