Ahern2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19’ Escape
Ahern2

Hi , New to this forum. We just bought a 19’ Escape trailer and are in the process of deciding what options to get. We have looked at a couple Escapes and talked to owners.
We would love your opinion on a couple options we are considering:
We will be pulling our trailer with a 2019 Toyota Highlander
- manual awning?
-solar panels?
- back up camera?
We are getting insulation, windows in bathrooms and kitchen,
Air conditioning
We appreciate your input! K&S
Ahern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The electric is nicer looking, easier to operate and comes in on it's own with bad wind. The manual is cheaper and is easier to set up in pouring rain. I wish the electrical did it all but I would still order it again.

Now that I have solar I would not be without it, it is so nice to have your batteries charged fully pretty much every day and not worry about it.

Personally, I do not care for a backup camera on a trailer as I have no need for one, but many do like it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 19’ Escape
Thank that’s helpful
Ahern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Both of our Escapes have had manual awnings. We have sun screens that attach to the roller and the roller to a bracket on the trailer and I don’t think we could do this with an automatic but not sure.
We very much like the 170 solar and dual six volt batteries
We have no interest in a back up camera, Rita gets out and looks and spots the trailer where she likes it. I have to tip her though.
Although you did not ask, I feel very good about having a surge protector too.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I agree with Jim and Dave. I have the backup camera but don’t use. Put the money into another option or a few more days on the road.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Another manual awning fan here. We did go back and forth a bit for our second Escape but we like the legs down and pegged and the ability to make a sunroom type enclosure and leave it up in pouring rain. The cantilevered awning scares the crap out of me.

Solar, at the much lower cost that it is now, would seem to be a no brainer.

Back-up camera. I went from having two on my last Escape to not thinking that I'll bother with one on the new 21. Wife with a radio is much more effective. I don't tip her but sometimes have to ask her "which right".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Backup camera on your trailer will only raise your anxiety level if you are being tailgated. Better to keep your eye on the road ahead and when setting up camp, better to have a spotter and to get out and look.

I still like my manual awning for the way it can shed rain. It's not like it's an ordeal to deploy and to close up.

Wish I had the solar install instead of my portable panels.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I learned to back up a trailer before there were cameras so I have no need. I also usually travel with my wife so I have a spotter if needed. I've also noticed a fair number of husband wife arguments start during backing in a trailer.

Awning... I've always had manuals and have not had any issues with them. I have no experience with the power ones.

Solar, if you want to camp places that don't have power for more then a few nights, get it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahern2 View Post
Hi , New to this forum. We just bought a 19’ Escape trailer and are in the process of deciding what options to get. We have looked at a couple Escapes and talked to owners.
- manual awning?
-solar panels?
- back up camera?
We are getting insulation, windows in bathrooms and kitchen,
Air conditioning
We appreciate your input! K&S
We love the electric awning it is easy peasy and the extra room we have under it by not having poles in the way.

I debated on the solar, sure glad we ordered it. We also got the dual batteries and 1500 watt Inverter with all outlets (it even runs the instant pot which we can can and have plugged in outside).

I like the camera, not so much for using at the campsite, but I do like to know what is behind me. It covers the nearby area not seen in the mirrors.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Congratulations on your new 19! Now the fun part, choosing options. We’re pleased with all of our choices, but since it was our first camper we had nothing to compare it to. The only choice we regret is I over did it on interior outlets. Didn’t need so many. We have the electric awning, solar, and backup camera. We like them for the same reasons Ronn stated. We also have the inverter. As for the awning, we didn’t have the choice of getting the manual. The simplicity of it appeals to me, as well as its use when it’s raining. Hope this helps. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
options

We didn't use the awning much on our 2014 19', so went with the cheaper manual awning on our 2018 19'.

We had 1 160-watt solar panel on our 2014 19' and loved it -- we stayed hundreds of nights in non-electric sites and it would generally recharge to 100%. Sometimes when we had high electrical usage (especially the furnace) and had tree and cloud cover, it wasn't enough, so we got 2 170-watt solar panels on our 2018 19'. Two panels is probably overkill for most people, but I can report that our 2018 has always gotten back to 100% by the end of the day.

We had a wired backup camera on our 2014 and loved it, so I installed another wired backup camera myself in our 2018, using the same monitor in our 4Runner. We find it useful for:
1. Backing into campsites, my wife stands where we want to go. The camera follows the trailer angle, so it's easy to see how much trailer angle to change to put her in the middle of the display. If you're great with backing trailers, you probably don't need this, but I find it useful.
2. Occasionally we need to back up, like at a gas station. The camera can confirm that no one has pulled close behind you. It doesn't happen every day and you can certainly get out and look, but it's nice to have.
3. The camera is another input for changing lanes. It's automatic for me to look at the mirrors along with the camera. Since the camera is on the end of the trailer, you can see exactly where the following car is, which is useful with congested closely-spaced traffic. You can train yourself to do this with mirrors, but it's just easy and accurate with a camera.
This forum has lots of folk who don't need or want a rearview camera, but I do find them useful.

All these things are personal preferences and their value depends on what you will do with your trailer.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Your questions are common, and there are extensive discussions of all the reasons pro and con each option that you ask about. You will get a smattering of that from the few people who respond to you here in this thread, but if you want more, just use the search feature.

My personal take,

1. Have owned both manual and electric awnings. Prefer the electric. It gets used far more often just because it’s so so easy. Also easy, and effective, to use in rain...just bring it in about 2/3 of the way. Also redeploys on its own if the wind pops up substantially.

2. Like the back up camera. It provides coverage equivalent to a rear view mirror, and covers an area that is otherwise a blind spot.

3. Solar: yes. No brained.

As I said, you will find fuller and more comprehensive answers to your queries by searching.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Like the back up camera. It provides coverage equivalent to a rear view mirror, and covers an area that is otherwise a blind spot.

I find that I can locate a vehicle close behind the trailer, even if I can't see it, by looking for its shadow. I also keep track by looking in the mirror when in a curve. Probably won't help in Kansas, but BC roads have lots of curves.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Shadows don’t work so well on cloudy days. Rear view camera always works. Is it necessary? No. Can it be useful by providing information otherwise unavailable? Yes.

Just because it is a device of no worth or use to you does not make it so for everyone. You and I have had this exchange before. A couple of times.

Your mileage clearly varies, Glenn. Which is fine. I also cut my trailering teeth in the old-fashioned, mirrors only framework. But that doesn’t mean it’s the only way. Nor the best way. Be careful about poo pooing anything that can measurably add something to a safe towing experience.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Be careful about poo pooing anything that can measurably add something to a safe towing experience.

I have expressed my opinion and now you have expressed yours. That seems fair.

Are you suggesting I not post my opinions, if they are contrary to yours?
Old 07-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post

I like the camera, not so much for using at the campsite, but I do like to know what is behind me. It covers the nearby area not seen in the mirrors.
Camera after thought - it is also great when it comes to switching lanes, I do know when that vehicle in the next lane is beyond the back of my trailer.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:17 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahern2 View Post

- manual awning?
Cannot comment on the manual awning , since we have the automatic one that came standard. But, we love it.

-solar panels?
Yes...we have a roof mounted unit and had ETI install a Zamp plug for our portable suitcase solar panel. Currently, in the campsite we are occupying, the portable solar panel with a 50’ extension cord has been doing most of the charging, since the roof mounted solar panel is under the tree canopy.

- back up camera?
Yes...we use it as our rear view mirror. I would get it again.

-We are getting insulation
Did not get insulation under the trailer and would still not get it.

-windows in bathrooms and kitchen
Window in bathroom is a great idea for ventilation. You won’t regret it.
Our 21’ has a window in kitchen and we love it.

-Air conditioning
A must have. Even in Alaska, we reached near 90°F... quickly found a commercial campground with 30 amp...ahhh!
S

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Things we like and would order again if we bought another Escape:

Dual 6V batteries
Solar panel on roof (I would add a second one on my next trailer)
EMS
Backup camera (Useful in many situations)
Power awning (Easy peasy and no obstructions)
Air conditioner

Things I might drop from new trailer:

Inverter (Expensive and we rarely use it)
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Here is another way to think about it. What is your camping style going to be? Are you “travelers” or “campers”? We are travelers and like to spend a few days in a site then move on. We don’t set up much in a campsite other than chairs and a small table. Campers typically spend more time in one location, move infrequently and set up more elaborately in a campsite.

This may drive some of your decisions such as:

The electric awning is easier to open and close and you may use it a lot more if you are a traveler moving from site to site frequently. The same may be true of the back up camera.

Solar is always good. We have it and it’s nice to not have to worry too much about the batteries.

We have the inverter for all outlets. We use it rarely but it’s a real nice to have when needed.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have expressed my opinion and now you have expressed yours. That seems fair.

Are you suggesting I not post my opinions, if they are contrary to yours?

There are items owners justify purchasing and those they don't justify. That's why they are "Options" and not standard equipment.

For example: some like the idea of an electric awning that goes in and out at the touch of a button. The electric awning is great for shade. However, the problem with this is either you can't have it out in the rain, have a pole in the way in the middle of the awning to shed the rain, or don't have it out in the rain.

Some like the idea of a manual awning they can use in the rain without a pole taking up valuable space under the awning in rain situations. They want all the space under the awning they can get, especially when it rains all day. Those people have to manually deploy the awning and put up with arms in the way on both ends.

I can understand the reasoning why one would purchase the electric awning and why one would purchase the manual.

We didn't purchase a backup camera, but have no problems backing the camper and don't have a need to continuously see behind our camper . Others want a backup camera to make it easier to back the camper and see behind the camper when driving.

Again they are called "Options."

Enjoy,

Perry