Alternative options to Escape (because of cost/availability) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Darrington, Washington
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Posts: 102
Alternative options to Escape (because of cost/availability)

I really want a 17B or 19 escape, however, it is becoming clear that is probably not going to happen any time soon. New is too much for us and either way, takes too long to get. If the stars align - maybe an early 2000's model would come up for sale that we could afford, but it seems unlikely based on my research.
So, in the meantime, I am thinking of more affordable options. I haven't owned a trailer before, just a VW Westfalia in early 2000 for a couple of years (drove across and up and down the country and lived in it for about 3 months).

We want something lightweight and not too big.
We are a family of 4 with little kids.
We want something with a bathroom and that can sleep 4 and that is as light as possible and not something that we have to really fix up (at this point).

There's an Rpod Hood River Edition 2014 in our price-range. Does anyone have anything that might help us understand if that could work. I know it isn't fiberglass, which would be ideal. Our considerations are price, availability, and weight. Casitas don't seem like they often fit 4 and have a bathroom, same with Scamp. Either way they are hard to come by.
__________________

harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: 21C (June 23)
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
I really want a 17B or 19 escape, however, it is becoming clear that is probably not going to happen any time soon. New is too much for us and either way, takes too long to get. If the stars align - maybe an early 2000's model would come up for sale that we could afford, but it seems unlikely based on my research.
So, in the meantime, I am thinking of more affordable options. I haven't owned a trailer before, just a VW Westfalia in early 2000 for a couple of years (drove across and up and down the country and lived in it for about 3 months).

We want something lightweight and not too big.
We are a family of 4 with little kids.
We want something with a bathroom and that can sleep 4 and that is as light as possible and not something that we have to really fix up (at this point).

There's an Rpod Hood River Edition 2014 in our price-range. Does anyone have anything that might help us understand if that could work. I know it isn't fiberglass, which would be ideal. Our considerations are price, availability, and weight. Casitas don't seem like they often fit 4 and have a bathroom, same with Scamp. Either way they are hard to come by.
Looked at an Apex 213RDS. Light weight and price point was $15,000 Less than a new or recently new Escape. Nice Kitchen, Seating, Bath, Bed. Same Fridges, AC, Etc....

Granted not a a Road Boat but price/size/features and looked looked great.

I think they are 3800 Lbs dry.
__________________

WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Trailer: 2018 21'
Posts: 135
We owned a scamp for years and slept 4 people in it with two of us on the table and the 2 kids in the sofa/bunk beds. You have to get the right layout if you want a bathroom also. It fits your criteria of light weight and more affordable also.


I would encourage you to get something to allow you go out camping and make memories. We made a lot of good memories in both a tent and a popup trailer also.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
I really want a 17B or 19 escape, however, it is becoming clear that is probably not going to happen any time soon. New is too much for us and either way, takes too long to get. If the stars align - maybe an early 2000's model would come up for sale that we could afford, but it seems unlikely based on my research.
So, in the meantime, I am thinking of more affordable options. I haven't owned a trailer before, just a VW Westfalia in early 2000 for a couple of years (drove across and up and down the country and lived in it for about 3 months).

We want something lightweight and not too big.
We are a family of 4 with little kids.
We want something with a bathroom and that can sleep 4 and that is as light as possible and not something that we have to really fix up (at this point).

There's an Rpod Hood River Edition 2014 in our price-range. Does anyone have anything that might help us understand if that could work. I know it isn't fiberglass, which would be ideal. Our considerations are price, availability, and weight. Casitas don't seem like they often fit 4 and have a bathroom, same with Scamp. Either way they are hard to come by.

Right now the used market is bringing high prices . Just find something your comfortable with. There is a 17 that will be sold on money, But its not cheap but its available. if more than one buyer is interested they draw the name for a hat.

https://escapetrailer.com/inventory/
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Darrington, Washington
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
We owned a scamp for years and slept 4 people in it with two of us on the table and the 2 kids in the sofa/bunk beds. You have to get the right layout if you want a bathroom also. It fits your criteria of light weight and more affordable also.


I would encourage you to get something to allow you go out camping and make memories. We made a lot of good memories in both a tent and a popup trailer also.
Thank you for saying that - yes, it doesn't have to be what would be the best ever, it can still be a wonderful thing. My husband and I really want to get something so we can all use it now! Not in a year or looking online like a hawk. The Scamp trailers do appeal, I think I recall seeing the one with the bunk, that is super cute - but it seems really difficult to find one and then figure out how to see it before it sells.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Darrington, Washington
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Right now the used market is bringing high prices . Just find something your comfortable with. There is a 17 that will be sold on money, But its not cheap but its available. if more than one buyer is interested they draw the name for a hat.

https://escapetrailer.com/inventory/
Thank you! yes, high prices. I just recently saw the Inventory way to purchase, which is appealing. But the only comfortable way for us to purchase something at that price would be to finance, and I am not sure we should do that. The inventory that they offer - it seems like a great way to purchase, and financing isn't out of the question. But for our first RV, when I don't know how much we really will use it yet, might make more sense to buy used and for closer to our budget. Thanks again for the suggestion and letting me know about the 17!
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Darrington, Washington
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Looked at an Apex 213RDS. Light weight and price point was $15,000 Less than a new or recently new Escape. Nice Kitchen, Seating, Bath, Bed. Same Fridges, AC, Etc....

Granted not a a Road Boat but price/size/features and looked looked great.

I think they are 3800 Lbs dry.
That sounds really nice. We looked at something that sounds similar when we went to the RV dealer (just to look). I think it is too big for us. It was perfect on the inside, bunk, small dinette, and a double/queen size bed, little tub, larger fridge. But it was 21 feet and it seemed like it would be pushing it a little with a 5,000 weight limit.

The one I saw for sale is a 2014 Rpod Hood River for 12k. It sounds like we could possibly even tow it with our current car! At least at first. We have a Subaru Outback.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Thank you! yes, high prices. I just recently saw the Inventory way to purchase, which is appealing. But the only comfortable way for us to purchase something at that price would be to finance, and I am not sure we should do that. The inventory that they offer - it seems like a great way to purchase, and financing isn't out of the question. But for our first RV, when I don't know how much we really will use it yet, might make more sense to buy used and for closer to our budget. Thanks again for the suggestion and letting me know about the 17!

If you could get a deal on the used R pod it might be a good choice for you. The biggest problem I find with stick builds is they often leak.fiberglass also gets leaks. On the stick builds it often goes unnoticed and when realized the damage is severe . The 2014 R pod would be one to check over very well for hidden leaks. watch some you tube videos and get familiar on what to look for.I looked at R pods before I ordered my escape . I must say the 1/2 price was attractive. I was looking new. The inportain thing is you get something in your budget that you can enjoy.As far as alternative options to escape there really is not any at a lesser price. That's why they have such a waiting list. Camping is about fun . I have had a lot of fun in a pop up camper. Get what you can afford. There going to be huge price increases in RV over the next 20 years. forest river has already raised dealer cost from 10-30% .I will say if you could find a good used older escape or casita for the same price of the r pod you be better off. I never have sold a fiberglass trailer for less than I paid. of course i bough all used untill the escape.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Darrington, Washington
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If you could get a deal on the used R pod it might be a good choice for you. The biggest problem I find with stick builds is they often leak.fiberglass also gets leaks. On the stick builds it often goes unnoticed and when realized the damage is severe . The 2014 R pod would be one to check over very well for hidden leaks. watch some you tube videos and get familiar on what to look for.I looked at R pods before I ordered my escape . I must say the 1/2 price was attractive. I was looking new. The inportain thing is you get something in your budget that you can enjoy.As far as alternative options to escape there really is not any at a lesser price. That's why they have such a waiting list. Camping is about fun . I have had a lot of fun in a pop up camper. Get what you can afford. There going to be huge price increases in RV over the next 20 years. forest river has already raised dealer cost from 10-30% .I will say if you could find a good used older escape or casita for the same price of the r pod you be better off. I never have sold a fiberglass trailer for less than I paid. of course i bough all used untill the escape.
I completely agree. When looking at past sales for used Escapes, it seems reasonable that I could find one under 15k that is 20 years old or something. But my guess is it could be a while until I find something that is in our area that works, of course it could happen. Same with Casita/Scamp - I have seen many 13' fiberglass that are more in our price range and even in our area, but that is too small for us wanting - bunks and bath, doesn't happen. Great suggestion about watching a youtube video for what to look for - thank you! I will most definitely do that. We are going to look at it tomorrow.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,140
Before we purchased our 2009 Escape 17B we owned a tent trailer for some ten or twenty years ( i'm old and forget ). It had a poorly insulated ice-box and a propane stove; no furnace, no AC, no interior lights. We had a great time camping with two kids ( one of ours and her friend ).

I offered $1,000 for the tent trailer and the owner countered with $900. Sold it for $650 after many years of happy camping, towing it with a Subaru wagon because we didn't know any better.

If you want to go camping with your family, a tent trailer, or even a tent, will accomplish the same thing as a Escape 21'.

Of course, my daughter and grand kids would like us to trade up to a 19', but that's their problem.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Darrington, Washington
Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Before we purchased our 2009 Escape 17B we owned a tent trailer for some ten or twenty years ( i'm old and forget ). It had a poorly insulated ice-box and a propane stove; no furnace, no AC, no interior lights. We had a great time camping with two kids ( one of ours and her friend ).

I offered $1,000 for the tent trailer and the owner countered with $900. Sold it for $650 after many years of happy camping, towing it with a Subaru wagon because we didn't know any better.

If you want to go camping with your family, a tent trailer, or even a tent, will accomplish the same thing as a Escape 21'.

Of course, my daughter and grand kids would like us to trade up to a 19', but that's their problem.
So true! Thank you for sharing this. It helps me keep things in perspective. I tend to over think things sometimes and try to get just the right thing, when sometimes getting something is the key! I see you tow the 17B with a Highlander XLE. That and the Subaru Ascent are the two vehicles we like the best so far if we trade in our Outback to go with a 3 row/higher tow rating.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,140
I've only towed the 17B with the Highlander a couple kilometres down the hill to an RV shop to have the weight distribution hitch adjusted so I can't comment. Towed with a RAV4 V6 Sport prior to the Highlander.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:01 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Lake Tahoe, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Posts: 225
The thing you should look at with the RPOD's is the width. They are 96" wide at the wheels, which stick out on either side of the cabin. So now you have to deal with a wide trailer footprint but you don't get the advantage of that width on the inside because the cabin is much narrower. I never understood the thinking with that design.

The Escape 17B is 6'4" wide and much easier to tow if you are new to towing. I'm not sure how you would sleep 4 people in that 17B that Escape has in inventory though. You would need the Gaucho bunk option.

If you are not sure about how much you would use an RV, maybe you should start by renting a Class C a couple of times before you decide. That will save you having to get a new vehicle just to tow something. Assuming your Outback has the 2.5L engine, the tow capacity of 2,700 lbs isn't really adequate as you seem to have figured out.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:55 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,140
My daughter and son-in-law managed a weekend in my 17B with two kids. I'm not sure they got any sleep. The gaucho requires wood blocks to be glassed into the walls prior to applying insulation and wall covering. Not really practical to do after the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucca camp.jpg (117.8 KB, 10 views)
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NKY, Kentucky
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21, former Castia sd17
Posts: 174
My wife and I have camped many different ways over the years. When the kids were young we had a couple of different Popups. 1st a StarCraft with twin queen beds and a dinete/bed slide, 2nd a high wall Coleman Fleetwood Sequoya. All worked great with our crew at the time. The only challenge with a popup is storage. Each of the kids had a clear plastic tote which they would place their clothes and other belongings. I would place these totes under the awning outside. It worked for us until we got two foot itis, bought a 30ft bunkhouse here was the wrong turn. Bigger camper the Toyota Sienna couldn't pull it and the 1st gen Tundra we had couldn't control the sway, so I bought a diesel f250. As you can see this hobby or lifestyle can spiral quickly. We currently have a Escape 21 which we pull with a current gen Toyota Tundra, this combo work wonderfully. The camper is the right side for the two of us. Every now and then my wife and I have wondering eye, we like a few of the 25ft floor plans by Airstream and Bigfoot, maybe some day. If it was me in your position I would just find a nice popup and just go make memories. I think all of the small fiberglass trailer are just to small for a family...…I know people do it, but my experience's kids have a lot of stuff.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 5,441
How about an older Bigfoot 17 with gaucho bunk? Beds might be narrow for two but depends on your size.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...5-g-sale-16000
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Brockville (Near Ottawa), Ontario
Trailer: Undetermined
Posts: 190
I would add only one comment on this topic. Remember that you will probably sell an Escape for about the same as you bought it for. So the cost of the Escape is the financing charges alone and you’ll get a worry free trailer for as long as you want. You might consider playing the Escape inventory lottery while looking at your other stickie and used fiberglass options.

You need to have submitted in a refundable deposit to play the lottery.

Good luck!?
__________________
Steve from Brockville, Canada
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: 21C (June 23)
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
I would add only one comment on this topic. Remember that you will probably sell an Escape for about the same as you bought it for. So the cost of the Escape is the financing charges alone and you’ll get a worry free trailer for as long as you want. You might consider playing the Escape inventory lottery while looking at your other stickie and used fiberglass options.

You need to have submitted in a refundable deposit to play the lottery.

Good luck!?
We must never forget to calculate the interest charges of financing the additional $15-$20K (USD) over "X" Months to purchase an Escape over a "Sticky" or what a $15-$20K stock purchase would make you over that same period when discussing resale values.

Campers are nothing more than unprofitable "Toys" no matter how hard we try.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Posts: 634
Check your owner's manual, because many Subarus are limited by a 200 lb hitch weight rating (even though they are rated to tow 2700 or whatever). Might depend on the model year.


If you did find a 16' Scamp, they tend to be very light on the tongue. Just about anything else will be 250 lbs or higher (perhaps much higher) when loaded for camping.
__________________

__________________
Losing weight puts one at much greater risk of becoming thin.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×