And so it begins - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 17B
And so it begins

I'm not even an Escape owner yet, will be on the 6th of November. In the meantime I called Good Sam to get an insurance quote as they didn't have the Escape listed. So the salesman tried to find it, eventually went on line to the Escape site. "Wow", he said, "that's a really cool trailer". And "Look at the weight of it". And "Boy, there's a lot of storage room". And "Look at the list of options" and etc., and etc. Then when he was telling me about the coverage, he mentioned hail damage and I told him that wasn't so much of a worry with fiberglass. At that point he said "I have a 35 foot fifth wheel sitting in my driveway and I never use it. I could get rid of my pick up. This may be what I need." I told him when he talked to Tammy and Rease to tell them 'Sally sent you!'
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
now that is funny, you made a sale to a salesman, over the phone yet !!!!
By the way Good Sam road insurance is the best I have found, just want to mention it. They send 2 tow trucks, one for your tow and one for your trailer.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We had to call the Good Sam roadside assistance the very first time we took our 2008 5.0 out. It was our first trailer, we were in Sequim WA, and it was 9pm and raining hard. We missed the turnoff to our campsite and Leslie - prompted by Reace's note that we could "almost jackknife" the 5.0 with our truck - decided to do just that in the middle of Highway 101 while doing an illegal U turn.....

The brakes jammed and we had no idea why. Kind passersby stopped and tried to help but to no avail. I finally called Good Sam (we'd only been members for 2 days) and the young man was so helpful and kind. He couldn't fix the problem, no one could until........

I said "Leslie, what's this?" holding up a cord with a little plug on the end. "Oh I think Reace said that's the breakaway cord," he said. "Let's plug it back in then," said I.
Click. Brakes unlocked. When I phoned the nice young man back - he who was in process of sending a truck - he said "hey, we all learned something tonight! I had no idea that's what happened when it came out!"
I've been a member ever since :-)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A bit of a side note following Christine's post, is that it is a good idea to test the breakaway every once in awhile. Just unplug it and pull forward to ensure the brakes are holding. I hit a highway check 20 years ago in BC that did that check.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Thanks, Jim! Now I know what it is, I've no excuse for not checking :-)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yup, checking the break-away is on our "a couple of times a year" checklist, along with the lug nuts and tire pressure. The trailer tail lights and brakes get checked before each trip.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote