Anderson Levelers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
So here's a question or two....At the RV show here in Spokane this weekend, there was a factory rep from Anderson at a booth selling all their products. I was interested in purchasing the levelers. He suggested that for trailers less than 26 feet that only one leveler was needed even if the trailer had dual axles. We'll be getting a 5.0TA next month. Do you think the trailer will be stable enough with only one leveler or should I get two? Also do you use bal x-chocks on both sides of the trailer? Mark
With the torsion axles 2 is recommended. They might have been thinking it was spring type axles, where the imbalance would not matter as much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You need support under both wheels and x-chocks on both sides if you want a stable unit.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Having springs, if I only have to go up a snigen a single works. if I need more then say an inch, I need 2.

I've also had to put blocks under the levelers when they are not enough. A rubber mat helps then too as the levelers slide on the wood or pvc blocks.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
So you put The trimmed one behind the first wheel and the other one behind the back wheel, is that correct?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Or you could put the untrimmed in front of the front wheel and the trimmed one behind and pull the vehicle forward for the same effect.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Never used these, but seems like a lot of additional things that have to be done to get them working and prevent sliding. With wood blocks or Lynx blocks never have encountered any of this stuff and they are xtremely handy for other functions like under tongue and stabilizer feet, etc.
We have such a collection of blocks by now. Yes, handy for several things, as we have found, and just kept buying more. AFAIAC, the blue ones are better than the yellow ones.

Of course, it doesn't mean that we can't buy these other levelers. Can't have too many toys for the trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
So here's a question or two....At the RV show here in Spokane this weekend, there was a factory rep from Anderson at a booth selling all their products. I was interested in purchasing the levelers. He suggested that for trailers less than 26 feet that only one leveler was needed even if the trailer had dual axles. We'll be getting a 5.0TA next month. Do you think the trailer will be stable enough with only one leveler or should I get two? Also do you use bal x-chocks on both sides of the trailer? Mark
Here's how I do it. And, there is an x-chock on the other side. The only exception is when there's no slope front to back, and only side to side. In such a case I sometimes only use one x-chock.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Thanks, Fred. When Quartzsite gets going I'd love for you to show me this setup and why it is desirable. Old dog, but can still learn new tricks.

Look forward to seeing you at Q!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:

Wow Mark! That is interesting. I will have to try that trick next time and see how it works out.

I don't use bal x-chocks, so I will defer to someone else.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Hmmm...good option to consider. Do you mean something similar to this grip pad but in a larger version?

In two years of traveling with our Casita, I found that when leveling on a site with loose gravel, the Anderson would slide on me. So, I took my small shovel and scraped the gravel down to bare ground. But, I like to be prepared for all situations. Thanks for the tip.
I have seen videos and read suggestions that large bands of friction tape be applied to the levelers thus reducing tire or wet grass related slipping.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #31

This has been mentioned by others but will repeat. X-chocks are not chocks, so says the company. They say that X-chocks are to be put in after unhooking the trailer and after putting stabilizers down (and removed before anything else when leaving). They are not to be used as a trailer stop, according to their makers. The company has said, I believe, that they can damage tires if used incorrectly. I have seen where someone reported tire damage from them. They are to be used only for added stabilizing of the trailer when inside.

We have them and use them when we are staying more than a night or two someone. Otherwise, we do not bother with them. They certainly do make the trailer more stable for when inside.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
This has been mentioned by others but will repeat. X-chocks are not chocks, so says the company. They say that X-chocks are to be put in after unhooking the trailer and after putting stabilizers down (and removed before anything else when leaving). They are not to be used as a trailer stop, according to their makers. The company has said, I believe, that they can damage tires if used incorrectly. I have seen where someone reported tire damage from them. They are to be used only for added stabilizing of the trailer when inside.

We have them and use them when we are staying more than a night or two someone. Otherwise, we do not bother with them. They certainly do make the trailer more stable for when inside.
Excellent advice....thank you!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mark
I level with wood, I put down all four stabilizers every time. I use two plastic chocks, and snug in two bal X chocks one on each side, every time. Get in a 70 mph wind in Colorado once in the middle of the night, parked on pea gravel and you will be a believer that every point of contact counts. The trailer rocked enough to compress and mush out the pea gravel so that all four stabilizers were off the ground by an inch.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #34

Quote:

Where did you read this? There is no mention in our instructions they are not really chocks. Snugged in place, and checked again later, they have worked fine for us for many years now.

I was one of the early adopters of the X-Chocks here, and use them as chocks all the time, with no sign at all of tire wear. When setting up on steep slopes, I will first use a wedge chock until I am near level, and only then put the X-Chocks in. I do this so that there is no torque added to the torsion axles. If the site is even close to level, the X-Chocks are all I have used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #35

I guess that you are saying the instructions said that they are not chocks. Believe we received that also. So you are confirming that. They do have directions about how to use them. We have had them for years also and seen info several places. The people I see commenting on them elsewhere do not use them as chocks but use real chocks and use the X ones in addition --- because they know that they are not chocks. The company has unfortunately used the name "chocks" which makes people think that they are, while at the same time, they tell you that they are not.

So you put the real chocks in at first, but then you are removing them?

We have had occasion to put the X-chocks in wrong. Need to look very carefully at top and bottom to see that they are placed well.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #36

Quote:
I guess that you are saying the instructions said that they are not chocks. Believe we received that also. So you are confirming that. They do have directions about how to use them. We have had them for years also and seen info several places. The people I see commenting on them elsewhere do not use them as chocks but use real chocks and use the X ones in addition --- because they know that they are not chocks. The company has unfortunately used the name "chocks" which makes people think that they are, while at the same time, they tell you that they are not.

So you put the real chocks in at first, but then you are removing them?

We have had occasion to put the X-chocks in wrong. Need to look very carefully at top and bottom to see that they are placed well.
I must not have been clear. This has happened many a time before.

I saw nothing to the effect in the instructions, just how to install them. I do consider them a type of chock, as they stop trailer movement, even better than the wedge type.

I usually leave the wedge chocks in place, or at least handy for when removing the X-chocks.

My wife is usually the X-Chock installer, and is very cautious they are installed properly. She is the one who checks them a while later again too.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Just wondering if X-chocks are really needed?, especially on the 5.0 TA. We have been using our 5.0 TA for three seasons now in some pretty gnarly spots. We use the Andersen levelers, chock the wheels and with the power front and manual rear stabilizers the trailer is rock solid. I like trying to keep it simple for faster set up and breaking camp. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Just wondering if X-chocks are really needed?, especially on the 5.0 TA. We have been using our 5.0 TA for three seasons now in some pretty gnarly spots. We use the Andersen levelers, chock the wheels and with the power front and manual rear stabilizers the trailer is rock solid. I like trying to keep it simple for faster set up and breaking camp. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
Scott, they are not necessary, but they make a huge difference, especially on the wiggliness of the trailer when set up. It just feels more solid. The first year I had them at the Escape rally, a lot of people came by to check them out and were quite pleased, and ordered some right after.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Jim, may have to check them out for future trips. At this stage of life after 3 - 4 days at a campground I start to go stir crazy and need to put on my travlin' shoes. I'll be interested to hear your opinion how much difference they make on your new 5er. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Stabilizers and jacks, wheel chocks and Bal X chocks, a lot of confusion, synonymous terms being used. Jacks and wheel chocks are for keeping the trailer wheels in place and raising or lowering the trailer. Stabilizers are for keeping the trailer from moving vertically once the jack height has been reached. B@LX are for eliminating the trailer lateral horizontal movement caused by the rubber torsion suspension movement while the wheels are chocked.