Anderson No sway wd hitch rocks! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Anderson No sway wd hitch rocks!

We've had this third generation wd hitch for several years now but have never really tested how it performs in a panic stop until we traveled north from NJ, to NH accompanied by Tropical Storm Elsa with its 8" of rain and 50 mph winds causing pooling on the highway. We also were accompanied by all the Semis in America. Somewhere in NY the truck ahead of us jammed on his brakes to avoid a small lake in the highway and we had to brake so hard that the abs system in our Colorado engaged. The trailer stayed right behind us and behaved perfectly. Perfection trailer brake was set at 4.5. Not sure Anderson is even an option for Escape any more.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That's what a weight distribution hitch does.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hitch Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We've had this third generation wd hitch for several years now but have never really tested how it performs in a panic stop until we traveled north from NJ, to NH accompanied by Tropical Storm Elsa with its 8" of rain and 50 mph winds causing pooling on the highway. We also were accompanied by all the Semis in America. Somewhere in NY the truck ahead of us jammed on his brakes to avoid a small lake in the highway and we had to brake so hard that the abs system in our Colorado engaged. The trailer stayed right behind us and behaved perfectly. Perfection trailer brake was set at 4.5. Not sure Anderson is even an option for Escape any more.
Fortunately you had it all hooked up right and your setting was adequate. And Fortunately it’s a small club of folks who have experienced the panic performance like some of us have. Although some question the value of the WDH, I believe you should hook it up all the way, all the time when you’re on a public street or highway. It saved us once and that’s enough to make a believer out of me. Glad to hear you’re ok.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Well, before that experience, all I knew was that was what it was SUPPOSED to do GB.
Thanks ID.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Well, before that experience, all I knew was that was what it was SUPPOSED to do GB.
Thanks ID.
Just didn't want anyone to think they had to buy an Andersen WDH.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's what a weight distribution hitch does.
Not really - a weight-distributing hitch system shifts load from the tug's rear axle to the tug's front axle and the trailer's axle(s), and that may reduce or increase sway. Most also add friction (intentionally or not) to the coupling which reduces sway.

The Andersen No-Sway WD (as the name suggests) is intended to effectively reduce sway, and deliberately adds a huge amount of friction, proportional to the tongue weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Fortunately you had it all hooked up right and your setting was adequate.
An interesting feature of the Andersen design is that the amount of sway-damping friction depends on the tongue weight, not the WD adjustment, as long as there is enough chain tension to keep either chain from going slack in turns.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #8

Well, my Pro Series, without sway control has done a fine job in a couple emergencies.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well, my Pro Series, without sway control has done a fine job in a couple emergencies.
I'm sure it has. It also has substantial friction in the bar sockets (whether that was the design intention or not), and a strong spring return-to-centre action (because it is a two-bars-and-chains type of WD).

We also have no idea how the rig would have behaved in the same situation without WD. It's really hard to get good comparative data for this sort of thing (as opposed to normal driving conditions) from actual use (assuming one doesn't routinely get into emergency situations while alternating between using WD and not, or using different WDH's ).
Old 07-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm sure it has. It also has substantial friction in the bar sockets (whether that was the design intention or not), and a strong spring return-to-centre action (because it is a two-bars-and-chains type of WD).

We also have no idea how the rig would have behaved in the same situation without WD. It's really hard to get good comparative data for this sort of thing (as opposed to normal driving conditions) from actual use (assuming one doesn't routinely get into emergency situations while alternating between using WD and not, or using different WDH's ).
True, it's observation not science. And I ain't doing it with MY trailer.