Another grill question - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #101

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Just ordered a Blackstone 2 burner....was going to get the one burner but the price was only 10$ difference, 5 lbs weight difference, and not that much difference in overall size. My question: anyone have a good carry system/bag/bin for it? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Just ordered a Blackstone 2 burner....was going to get the one burner but the price was only 10$ difference, 5 lbs weight difference, and not that much difference in overall size. My question: anyone have a good carry system/bag/bin for it? Thanks.
We have the 17 in and have their carry bag . They also have for their 22 in , 2 burner . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bought the Blackstone carry bag as well as the extended warranty, for $5 the bag warranty was worth it......
Old 09-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the 17 in and have their carry bag . They also have for their 22 in , 2 burner . Pat
Since we bought our grill and until we go camping have been using just about every day . Hooked up to propane tank and found the grill cover for 22 is perfect for the 17 at home , Have the 17 in bag and cover for when we ever get to go camping too Have gotten lots of accessories now since absolutely love this grill and how the food turns out . The Weber now just sits . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
3F602BDC-43E9-4A54-AAA5-44592F5B68E3.jpg   1A9FB418-A66C-40E0-A1AB-B92F5E2841E2.jpg   88EDEB5C-F864-4F99-B7E8-5CFA641AA0A1.jpg   4188C44B-6369-476F-A056-C8EE7CC5B2D8.jpg  
Old 09-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bought the Blackstone carry bag as well as the extended warranty, for $5 the bag warranty was worth it......
Hi Jim ! Pat
Old 09-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #106

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow View Post
Just the Blackstone. Some things it may not do as well as a grill but I don't want the mess and smell of a grill in the trailer when traveling.
I transport my Weber Q100 (the original Baby Weber) in a large tote in the backseat of my tow vehicle and neither my wife or I have ever experienced any aromas.
I do have a Blackstone and I love it enough that I purchased a stainless steel griddle surface for it from Amazon. It cost almost as much as the Blackstone itself. But in my humid environment, it doesn’t rust. The Blackstone stays at home because I find the grill to be far more versatile, and by using the Weber split grate, I can use the Weber griddle on one side. While it is smaller and more difficult to use (due to its size) than the Blackstone, I do not want to take both when traveling. I cannot claim there haven’t been a few occasions when I would have liked to have the Blackstone available.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I transport my Weber Q100 (the original Baby Weber) in a large tote in the backseat of my tow vehicle and neither my wife or I have ever experienced any aromas.
I do have a Blackstone and I love it enough that I purchased a stainless steel griddle surface for it from Amazon. It cost almost as much as the Blackstone itself. But in my humid environment, it doesn’t rust. The Blackstone stays at home because I find the grill to be far more versatile, and by using the Weber split grate, I can use the Weber griddle on one side. While it is smaller and more difficult to use (due to its size) than the Blackstone, I do not want to take both when traveling. I cannot claim there haven’t been a few occasions when I would have liked to have the Blackstone available.
Hi Carl haven’t touched the Weber since getting the Blackstone and we have the grill for it too. Sold our big stainless barbecue which paid for the Blackstone ! Pat
Attached Thumbnails
947DA3C4-FA8D-4EFF-BA9A-B2D6DE5700C1.jpg   C4CAB0C8-0346-4279-AD3B-EA3408750942.jpg  
Old 09-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Jim ! Pat
Hello back to you..........
Old 09-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #109

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Terry cooks quiche and bakes bread in her Weber grill, plus other tasty foods. The 22" Blackstone with hood looks perfect, but she needs to know the temperature inside the hood. She'd buy one in a heartbeat if only she could know the inside temp.

I should be able to drill a hole on one side of the hood and install a probe for the temp. Has anyone done that?

EDIT: I just realized, what is the distance between the griddle and the top of the hood?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 09-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #110

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just buy an oven thermometer for $4.99 at a grocery store. Set it on the grill. It will be closer to the real temp than those ones in the lid.
Attached Thumbnails
1 burner low at grill.jpg  
Old 09-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just buy an oven thermometer for $4.99 at a grocery store. Set it on the grill. It will be closer to the real temp than those ones in the lid.

We own two and both are in the camper!

One problem solved. Now, how much clearance between the grill and the hood?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 09-19-2020, 07:22 PM   #112

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'll have mine next week and can measure for you. PM me if I don't remember.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hello back to you..........
Pat
Old 09-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Terry cooks quiche and bakes bread in her Weber grill, plus other tasty foods. The 22" Blackstone with hood looks perfect, but she needs to know the temperature inside the hood. She'd buy one in a heartbeat if only she could know the inside temp.

I should be able to drill a hole on one side of the hood and install a probe for the temp. Has anyone done that?

EDIT: I just realized, what is the distance between the griddle and the top of the hood?

Thanks,

Perry
Perry what is used is those temp guns , not sure what exactly they are called . Lots of video’s on utube . The best part of the Blackstone is how easy to clean . After the grill is seasoned paper towels and water is all I have had to use . Besides how good the food tastes I can clean up real fast . The recipes on utube are many too. There was a learning curve at first but finding cooking breakfast and dinner just about everyday now . Pat
Old 09-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #115

Quote:

We own two and both are in the camper!
I spoke too soon. Terry does not want to open the lid to see the temp and let the heat out. Back to a probe or perhaps a temp gun, like Patandlinda suggested.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #116

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I spoke too soon. Terry does not want to open the lid to see the temp and let the heat out.

Perry

I do it all the time, smoking ribs. The heat lost is quickly regained, especially if you are cooking 'low and slow'.

Gun will also require you to open the lid. Thermometer in the lid will not be accurate, but you can adjust for that.
On my Napoleon, it appears that lid thermometer is 50 degrees higher than oven thermometer.
Attached Thumbnails
1 burner low.jpg   1 burner low at grill.jpg  
Old 09-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #117

Quote:
I do it all the time, smoking ribs. The heat lost is quickly regained, especially if you are cooking 'low and slow'.

Gun will also require you to open the lid. Thermometer in the lid will not be accurate, but you can adjust for that.
On my Napoleon, it appears that lid thermometer is 50 degrees higher than oven thermometer.
Hi Glenn they do have a lid you can buy for the 17 in but not really needed . So you don’t need to open any lid to check temp . Just did it tonight on our grill to check temp . Starting to find half way on the knob seems to work good . Cooked some bacon and eggs this morning . What a easy clean up , besides the great food on grill , can’t say enough about the cleanup . But you just aim the temp gun at the grill . Pat
Old 09-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #118

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

Cooking on any portable grill or griddle and worrying about how accurate the temperature is would seem to be worrying about something that is somewhat beyond one’s control. None of the burners on these devices are in enclosed/sealed spaces and wind can have an effect on burner performance. While I installed a thermometer in the lid of my Weber Q100 long before Weber introduced the Q1000/Q1200 models which come with a lid thermometer already installed, I do not see it as accurately showing temperature. Rather, I see it as a temperature ranging instrument, or in other words, is the grill up to the temperature where I can start cooking or is it too hot for what I want to do.
Glenn is correct that you can adjust for temperature differences between the cooking surface and the lid once you determine what the differential is, never having to open the lid to check once you know the differential. However, the Napoleon, the Weber, the Blackstone, or any of the commonly used camping cookers are going to be the precision temperature controlled devices that a “domestic” cooking appliance is.
I have become proficient grilling and baking on my Weber, and using the “split” half grid/half griddle configuration to prepare things better prepared on a solid surface. I did require a leaning curve. I wish the Weber were as easy to clean as my Blackstone. The Blackstone stays at home, but would be “on the road” rather than the Weber if I found it to be as versatile as the Weber, which is more of a PITA to clean. Like almost everything else, the choice is a compromise.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #119

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I spoke too soon. Terry does not want to open the lid to see the temp and let the heat out. Back to a probe or perhaps a temp gun, like Patandlinda suggested.
How about a portable unit with a clip that attaches the probe above the grilling surface?
https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/7202-i...h-single-probe
https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/7212-i...perature-probe
Old 09-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #120

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

I just put my Weber Baby Q in the back of the truck....grill is prob at least 10 yrs old and all original except for the lid that got broken in a fall from the truck when unloading. Love it and have started using a simple square fry pan on it to do eggs and bacon...works great and a fraction of the cost of the split grill.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote