Another small fiberglass manufacturer bites the dust! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Another small fiberglass manufacturer bites the dust!

Sigh. Sorry to say, Camping World doesn't have a great reputation for service.... https://investor.campingworld.com/pr...OfCCLezr1NQLTQ
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Interesting, the way that release is (presumably carefully) written it seems that that the "The Happier Camper exclusive distributor partnership" (with CW) extends only to the "Adaptiv™ system and technology products for van and camper conversions".

Perhaps Happier Camper, with CW's financial infusion, will continue independent development and sales of the trailers?
Old 07-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Interesting, the way that release is (presumably carefully) written it seems that that the "The Happier Camper exclusive distributor partnership" (with CW) extends only to the "Adaptiv™ system and technology products for van and camper conversions".
Indeed, it doesn't even mention that Happier Camper makes trailers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Perhaps Happier Camper, with CW's financial infusion, will continue independent development and sales of the trailers?
Perhaps. Or perhaps with an interest in only the Adaptiv products (despite being a travel trailer dealer), Camping World will force Happier Camper to abandon the trailer business. It's all armchair speculation, but that's always good sport.

I had not noticed, or had forgotten, that Happier Camper (which started with a trailer in the shape of a classic Boler 1300) now has a new larger model... with the shape of a classic Trillium (like an Escape), stretched to the size of an Escape 17'. Presumably they pulled a mould from a pre-2017 Escape 17' as their starting point.

Whatever the circumstances, I wish the people at Happier Camper good luck in their new venture. I suspect that they'll need it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Presumably they pulled a mould from a pre-2017 Escape 17' as their starting point.
They actually bought the molds from the Trillium bankruptcy... the last one "Sterling RV" in Alabama.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
The title made it sound as if they'd gone out of business. Instead, HC has found a source of investment funds so they can produce more, as well as a nationwide sales network for their cube system. Unless they gave up a majority portion of the company (with potential loss of management control), this should help them. Theoretically, at least.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
pardon me while I barf.

Quote:
About Happier Camper

Progressive, nimble and adventurous in tone and features, Happier Camper is a deliberate move away from conventional and oversized purchases toward leadership in the rapidly growing category of compact and flexible campers. Happier Camper is built for a market that values the convergence of function, style and affordability. Above all, they identify with emerging generations that have wide, diverse interests and that expect their purchases to “keep up” with their dynamic lifestyles. Their customers’ lives are textured, carefully curated and highly customized, and that is what Happier Camper speaks to both in product and brand.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:11 AM   #7
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
pardon me while I barf.
A concise, well articulated summary!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They actually bought the molds from the Trillium bankruptcy... the last one "Sterling RV" in Alabama.
Thanks. I didn't realize that round of the endless series of failed Trillium attempts included that size.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
pardon me while I barf.
Thought pretty much the same. So pretentious.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
With this huge bubble of purchasing RV's we have just witnessed, I am wondering what the future looks like for manufacturers. I don't think the present buying cycle is going to last much longer. I know several people that are licking their chops over the potential used market coming right up.

The level of competition has risen to a higher level than ever and the barriers to entry are higher than ever too. This also strikes me as a knee jerk reaction to an event that is just about over. This would have been a terrific idea to buy this company two years ago.

Most baby boomers that want a trailer, have one (IMHO). I think at age 63, I am at the tail end of that. I keep asking myself, how long is it going to take to turn this market from an expanding marketplace into a contracting market with fewer buyers and less elasticity on the price/demand curve.

If the market continues to expand then I am wrong. If it begins to contract, watch out!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #11

In the thread in FiberglassRV a representative of Happier Camper provides some additional information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The title made it sound as if they'd gone out of business. Instead, HC has found a source of investment funds so they can produce more, as well as a nationwide sales network for their cube system. Unless they gave up a majority portion of the company (with potential loss of management control), this should help them. Theoretically, at least.
That does appear to be the intent, despite the implications of the Camping World announcement and the lack of anything official from Happier Camper. HC even expects to sell trailers through Camping World, although in the current press release CW doesn't even acknowledge that HC makes trailers.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
For me, reading that thread is like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. Reminds me why I asked them to delete my account on that site. Ugh. I greatly prefer the moderation over here.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
And another one.
https://www.cortescampers.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Cortes Campers 03A_06_12_2021.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
that one in your picture is a gutted Casita 17 with a new door, windows, and a paint job, sitting on a new frame.

they haven't produced even ONE trailer yet, but they are quite good at amateur self-hype.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I think that's actually a modified clone rather than a gutted Casita. Their site has photos of them using a Casita with slight modification to the roof ridge as a buck to make their mold, and the video of the prototype matches that (roof ridge extends onto the front and back, unlike Casita). So, they've built a prototype anyways.

They've at least cut the "current" model lineup down to the one that actually has a prototype and not the impossibly ambitious range they had before. They mention both fiberglass and carbon fiber, which makes me wonder if they're using a combination of the two somehow or just have vague future plans for CF models. I also wonder how they're doing a honeycomb core with so many curved surfaces. Maybe that's just for the floor.

Overall high on the hype-to-substance ratio and a price that's hard to justify compared to Casita or Oliver. I certainly wouldn't put money down on one and would recommend against it for others, but I don't think it's necessarily total vaporware.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I think that's actually a modified clone rather than a gutted Casita. Their site has photos of them using a Casita with slight modification to the roof ridge as a buck to make their mold, and the video of the prototype matches that (roof ridge extends onto the front and back, unlike Casita). So, they've built a prototype anyways.

They've at least cut the "current" model lineup down to the one that actually has a prototype and not the impossibly ambitious range they had before. They mention both fiberglass and carbon fiber, which makes me wonder if they're using a combination of the two somehow or just have vague future plans for CF models. I also wonder how they're doing a honeycomb core with so many curved surfaces. Maybe that's just for the floor.

Overall high on the hype-to-substance ratio and a price that's hard to justify compared to Casita or Oliver. I certainly wouldn't put money down on one and would recommend against it for others, but I don't think it's necessarily total vaporware.
I live in the area, for amusement I might go look at the prototype.
All these newbies seem to try for the 50000 mark. The bust will come . Escape is still the value leader. If I was to spend that kind of money I’d rather up it to an Oliver or a Bigfoot.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sigh. Sorry to say, Camping World doesn't have a great reputation for service.... https://investor.campingworld.com/pr...OfCCLezr1NQLTQ
IMHO, neither does HC. I couldn't get any answers from them when I was interested.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 5.0 T.A.
That frame is way over-engineered for the body and $40k!
Erik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
With this huge bubble of purchasing RV's we have just witnessed, I am wondering what the future looks like for manufacturers. I don't think the present buying cycle is going to last much longer. I know several people that are licking their chops over the potential used market coming right up.

The level of competition has risen to a higher level than ever and the barriers to entry are higher than ever too. This also strikes me as a knee jerk reaction to an event that is just about over. This would have been a terrific idea to buy this company two years ago.

Most baby boomers that want a trailer, have one (IMHO). I think at age 63, I am at the tail end of that. I keep asking myself, how long is it going to take to turn this market from an expanding marketplace into a contracting market with fewer buyers and less elasticity on the price/demand curve.

If the market continues to expand then I am wrong. If it begins to contract, watch out!
You may want to check out the YouTube channel and podcast RVMiles. They’re a full time couple that report with statistics and data about RV news. https://youtu.be/e4Ky_sTDMeA “About That Glut of Used RVs—-Don’t Count On It”
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
IMHO, neither does HC. I couldn't get any answers from them when I was interested.
I had the same experience and ultimately decided with a side by side that Escape was so much more value for the money!

I did like the Adaptiv system, though and the more modern finishes. I’m above the 30 something crowd and south of retirement so....

However, right after we bought our 21NE Escape started modernizing a bit more with finishes and options.

And you can’t beat their customer service which is worth more to me than any option or finish!
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote