Another small fiberglass manufacturer bites the dust! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
pardon me while I barf.

Yeah, I think the operative phrase (from the middle of the paragraph, 3rd sentence) should have been " Above all, they identify with emerging generations' Pocketbooks!"
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Is this Paul Spivak. CEO of ‘Cortes Campers’ and ‘The US Lighting Group’ the same Paul Spivak, CEO of The US Lighting Group that was recently indicted for securities fraud, and is out on a $600,000 bond?

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...?guid=15027333
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
Is this Paul Spivak. CEO of ‘Cortes Campers’ and ‘The US Lighting Group’ the same Paul Spivak, CEO of The US Lighting Group that was recently indicted for securities fraud, and is out on a $600,000 bond?

It appears so, yes. We knew the guy was “off” when we found the Cortes Campers website very soon after they launched and there were videos of him mocking Rodney Lomax of Oliver Travel Trailers. He seemed drunk - - and they actually posted the videos to their website! They were pulled down after a while, but what kind of company or owner does that?
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 21
"but what kind of company or owner does that?"
A drunk one
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Cortes Sales Opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post

Wait! Does this say: if you send $10,000 he'll let you try to sell his Cortes Campers from your home? You'll have an exclusive territory?

What could go wrong?

https://www.cortescampers.com/dealer-inquiries
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
Do they have any bridges for sale?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Well as woody Guthrie said
Some men rob you with a 6 gun, others with a fountain pen.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I posted this at Fiberglass RV, but for those that don't read it:
I find this hard to believe, but dealers in 2 states have put in 1.15 million dollars worth of purchase orders for Cortes Campers. Is it actually April 1st?
Old 12-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Happy Camper came to the Quartszite fiberglass rally - was it three years ago - with a demo trailer. I looked through the trailer and while their cube system was interesting, I felt they didn't present any truly compelling reason to move to a Happy Camper from any other fiberglass camper. Why apparently they couldn't make it thru normal "organic" growth of course only they would know.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Happy Camper came to the Quartszite fiberglass rally - was it three years ago - with a demo trailer. I looked through the trailer and while their cube system was interesting, I felt they didn't present any truly compelling reason to move to a Happy Camper from any other fiberglass camper. Why apparently they couldn't make it thru normal "organic" growth of course only they would know.
yeah, lack of a proper water system and holding tanks alone made those a 'meh' in my book, they are essentially all electric, the optional sink module just holds a couple gallons, and the optional stove module is just a 2 lb bottle propane camp stove.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
That was my view. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

However it's a crazy world and somewhere there's always someone who loves something others think is oddball.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I find this hard to believe, but dealers in 2 states have put in 1.15 million dollars worth of purchase orders for Cortes Campers. Is it actually April 1st?
Those are likely no-deposit no-commitment orders, which don't mean much of anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Those are likely no-deposit no-commitment orders, which don't mean much of anything.
And likely all in MSRP dollars to yield the best 'press hyperbole'. That works out to just 24 of the 17' units between two dealers per the MSRP price on their website.

Nothing to get excited about IMO.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I note neither of the named dealers has Cortes amongst the brands on their websites, nor is there any mention of this deal on Cortes' own webpile, although they DO list some dealers including these
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Last I read the company was under investigation by I think the SEC.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Last I read the company was under investigation by I think the SEC.
Yeah, Spivak appears to do what's called a "pump and dump" scheme. Basically he conspires with a select group of shareholders to artificially pump up the value of his company's stock using bogus news, reports, press releases and so forth that make the company look really good. Then once the stock hits a certain amount, he and his cohorts dump it and make off with the profit.

He seems to use a similar method in a way regarding his camper "business". Try to get alot of hype and buzz and interest going with articles and press releases in various industry publications - without ever having actually produced a single new trailer, having no factory, no assembly line and no workers.

Interestingly, this last summer the FBI and the federal prosecutor tried to keep Spivak in jail under no bond. The federal judge ruled he wasn't a flight risk and allowed him to bail out.

Doesn't that just make you wanna go plunk down a stack of money for a Cortes camper? [emoji1787][emoji1787]
Old 12-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Absolutely.

This is the current model for getting rich. In my industry it was Nikola, the natural gas, no....electric, no......hydrogen powered class 8 semi from a startup.

It's pretty straightforward.....you put $50,000 into website design and $5 into product development. Hype, hype, hype.....and take 'orders' that don't commit anyone to anything. Hype the huge numbers of orders. 'It must be real, look at all these orders from real, serious customers like UPS and Schneider Freight."

Investors these days have piles of cash and can't think of anything to do with it. So they buy hype. The CEO pays himself in stock, pumps the stock with hype, and if he's smart winds up sipping a drink on a beach in a country with no extradition treaties.

Most of these CEOs never seem to know when to get out though......so they wind up at club fed instead. Act fast and you can share a cell with Elizabeth Holmes or Trevor Milton.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember the infamous "Enron" debacle right before retiring....I think they are still trying to unravel those partnerships.....