Any Escapes in Louisiana so I can check out AC/Heater noise? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Any Escapes in Louisiana so I can check out AC/Heater noise?

So I thought we were winding down to making the jump into preparing for ownership, but after multiple warnings concerning me camping in an Escape with my toddler (who must be able to sleep for health reasons) I am concerned about the AC/heater noise. Now, we love our white noise and will bring a little machine with us, but based on owners' warnings, it doesn't seem like we're dealing with your average white noise with the Escape but something worse. Anyone have a recording? Any have trouble or not have trouble sleeping with the AC or heat on? Can you describe the noise?

Anyone know of an Escape in Louisiana so we can request a good look and listen?

Thank you!!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
SouthernCamper, We're camping in an EggCamper while waiting for our Escape 21, and while I would agree that the A/C and heater in a small fiberglass camper can be noisy, I've slept in motel rooms with louder window AC/heater units than our camper. But I agree that, for your own piece of mind, you should visit someone with an Escape 21' and listen to the sounds yourself. The folks at Escape can give you names and contact information of Escape owners in your area who would be more than willing to give you a look-see.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
So I thought we were winding down to making the jump into preparing for ownership, but after multiple warnings concerning me camping in an Escape with my toddler (who must be able to sleep for health reasons) I am concerned about the AC/heater noise. Now, we love our white noise and will bring a little machine with us, but based on owners' warnings, it doesn't seem like we're dealing with your average white noise with the Escape but something worse. Anyone have a recording? Any have trouble or not have trouble sleeping with the AC or heat on? Can you describe the noise?
SouthernCamper: since your circumstances are quite serious with needing sleep I will give you our experience to use as you see fit. Everyone will not agree with this, but in my opinion any non-ducted rooftop A/C is loud. This isn't just on Escapes. There are multiple threads across multiple forums across many brands of trailers with similar complaints. It is a combination of blower/compressor noise and vibration on a thin, rigid shell. May have been able to sleep with earplugs....never tried. It bothered us enough to retrofit a small mini-split system (normally used in homes) that both heats and cools very quietly. I have heard that the newer systems Escape now uses with digital thermostat cycles the fan, but I bet they are nearly as loud when running because the fundamental arrangement and technology are the same (basically a window air conditioner on steroids). It doesn't help in the 19 that the A/C unit is right near the back bed. The mini-split is by no means your average DIY retrofit but it really does transform the trailer for someone using the A/C regularly. If you want to see videos of the stock A/C and mini-split running let me know and I'll try to post to the thread. The weekend warriors or owners in colder climates can and do deal with the stock unit, but it will very likely wear on someone who expects to spend many hours in the trailer in warmer climates...especially if you want to sleep.

The original Atwood propane furnace has an acceptable noise level in my opinion. I can't speak to the newer furnace model Escape just recently started using. If you are plugged in and have 120V power you can always use a small, quiet space heater...or in our case the mini-split in heating mode.

Given your circumstances you need to think about much more than just A/C and furnace noise but enough storage, sleeping arrangements, etc. I would definitely find a few trailers to see if possible.

Hope this helps.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
SouthernCamper: since your circumstances are quite serious with needing sleep I will give you our experience to use as you see fit. Everyone will not agree with this, but in my opinion any non-ducted rooftop A/C is loud. This isn't just on Escapes. There are multiple threads across multiple forums across many brands of trailers with similar complaints. It is a combination of blower/compressor noise and vibration on a thin, rigid shell. May have been able to sleep with earplugs....never tried. It bothered us enough to retrofit a small mini-split system (normally used in homes) that both heats and cools very quietly. I have heard that the newer systems Escape now uses with digital thermostat cycles the fan, but I bet they are nearly as loud when running because the fundamental arrangement and technology are the same (basically a window air conditioner on steroids). It doesn't help in the 19 that the A/C unit is right near the back bed. The mini-split is by no means your average DIY retrofit but it really does transform the trailer for someone using the A/C regularly. If you want to see videos of the stock A/C and mini-split running let me know and I'll try to post to the thread. The weekend warriors or owners in colder climates can and do deal with the stock unit, but it will very likely wear on someone who expects to spend many hours in the trailer in warmer climates...especially if you want to sleep.

The original Atwood propane furnace has an acceptable noise level in my opinion. I can't speak to the newer furnace model Escape just recently started using. If you are plugged in and have 120V power you can always use a small, quiet space heater...or in our case the mini-split in heating mode.

Given your circumstances you need to think about much more than just A/C and furnace noise but enough storage, sleeping arrangements, etc. I would definitely find a few trailers to see if possible.

Hope this helps.
This is very helpful, thank you. Wow so sorry you had that experience. What was the approximate cost of getting a split system added?

Some have mentioned that it's possible to get away with not running the AC at night even in hot months. Now, in some hot desert areas I know it gets cooler at night even when hot, but in South Louisiana when it's hot, it's hot all day and night. So you found yourself needing to run the AC all night vs cooling it off inside then turning it off as some have recommended?

We'll definitely use a space heater so that's not a big issue. Yet, I wonder if it's possible to have the flexible builders at Escape put a split system to begin with

Please, please post your videos with sound with original and replacement units. That would be so helpful!!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
This is very helpful, thank you. Wow so sorry you had that experience. What was the approximate cost of getting a split system added?

Some have mentioned that it's possible to get away with not running the AC at night even in hot months. Now, in some hot desert areas I know it gets cooler at night even when hot, but in South Louisiana when it's hot, it's hot all day and night. So you found yourself needing to run the AC all night vs cooling it off inside then turning it off as some have recommended?

We'll definitely use a space heater so that's not a big issue. Yet, I wonder if it's possible to have the flexible builders at Escape put a split system to begin with

Please, please post your videos with sound with original and replacement units. That would be so helpful!!
You deal with some insane heat and humidity down your way. You need to remember that people that post on this forum are from all over North America with different climates, tolerances and techniques (elevation change, etc). It is my opinion that for a good part of the year you will need A/C day and night especially considering your locale and circumstances. The mini-split system I installed cost me about $1,000 for equipment and misc materials. I got the equipment at trade cost so it would be a bit more if ordered off the internet. You need to have (or make) room for the outdoor condensing section on the tongue. I don't want to mislead you as this install is not your average undertaking. I did the install with the help from a few people including startup by an HVAC tech. It would only be possible by someone quite handy and at least moderately versed in mechanical and electrical work. I know that Reace at Escape is focusing on increasing production and is reducing the customization that they will take on as a result. I know several people were interested but I'm not sure if anyone officially asked Escape if they would entertain the install.

Anyhow, here are links to the videos on YouTube of the stock A/C unit and the mini-split (both indoor and outdoor). These will give you an order of magnitude, but it would be best to hear the overhead in an actual trailer to get the best depiction of the noise level.

Stock Dometic overhead A/C:
(the inside plenum is off but it doesn't do much to dampen noise, just directs air forward and back)

Fujitsu mini-split heat pump (indoor section):

Fujitsu mini-split heat pump (outdoor section):
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
I live just across the Texas line on lake Toledo Bend if that is anywhere near you.

The ac is loud. The AC in our old Casita was loud also. I think the above post are right in that roof mounted RV AC units are almost all loud compared to a home central heat/air unit.

I would say no way on staying in the Escape [or any other RV] during the summer without a AC unit running. The noise has not been an issue for us. We take the fan off of auto and set it on low so that it runs all the time when the AC is turned on. That to us is less disruptive that everything kicking on and off during the night,
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19'
I have a 2016 escape - the furnace is very, very quiet.
The AC, not so much. It's just really loud - - although, I have always used it with the fan on auto - I'll have to try it with the fan on low - that would probably be better.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find the roof top a/c no louder than a window unit in your bedroom and on the "low" speed available with the digital thermostat, maybe ever a little less noise.