Any regrets on power awning - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #41
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you analyze other power awnings, those with the scissors along the walls can be tilted somewhat as can the manual with the arms. The Escape model has no arms, no scissors, nothing to obstruct the view of the trailer. Tilting was a tradeoff for the nice set up. If you want tilt, get the manual with arms
Non sense, The 9500 cassette awning can be adjusted up to 15 degrees. The reason it can not be adjusted on the 17,19 or 21 is because of the slot in the mold on 2nd gen. trailers. This is not the case on the 5.0 ,I adjusted mine to 6% slope no problems at all with rain.
Attached Thumbnails
9500 man. pg. 6.PNG   9500 man. pg. 7.PNG   22.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Non sense, The 9500 cassette awning can be adjusted up to 15 degrees. The reason it can not be adjusted on the 17,19 or 21 is because of the slot in the mold on 2nd gen. trailers. This is not the case on the 5.0 ,I adjusted mine to 6% slope no problems at all with rain.
It's only nonsense for 1 of every 4 trailers produced.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
... The 9500 cassette awning can be adjusted up to 15 degrees.
I adjusted mine to 6% slope no problems at all with rain.
Yes, it is always sloped and the slope can be adjusted. When people say that they can't tilt it I think they mean that they can't set one side substantially lower when desired (such as to drain water off of one side, or to block a low sun angle), and that the tilt can't be readily (quickly, easily, without tools) adjusted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #44
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
It's only nonsense for 1 of every 4 trailers produced.
True that.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #45
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, it is always sloped and the slope can be adjusted. When people say that they can't tilt it I think they mean that they can't set one side substantially lower when desired (such as to drain water off of one side, or to block a low sun angle), and that the tilt can't be readily (quickly, easily, without tools) adjusted.
Brian if you look at many of the 2nd gen awnings when fully deployed they are not set to the factory 5% slope but are fairly strait, this is do to the slot in the mold ( this is what I was told at orientation ) Mine was strait out at orientation, thankfully Nigel overheard the conversation and with the help of his partner adjusted it slightly down . I adjusted it a wee bit more latter, I also have it tilted slightly away from the door but may not be noticeable in the picture.

As far as functionality sloping,tilting and blocking low angle sun easily, you are correct theirs no beating a manual awning but ETI did not offer one at the time.
All I can do is improvise and enjoy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
0a.jpg   0b.jpg  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
As to tilting the manual awning to block the sun, you can tilt it substantially, and still not beat mother nature.
I pulled in to Osoyoos site and spent a lot of time trying to jockey my 17B so that the trailer itself would block the afternoon sun. I was trying to back it around the picnic table, but still be able to connect to power and water. After a while, fellow campers came over to help me back my trailer, thinking I hadn't a clue what I was doing.

I finally gave up and parked it where I could connect to services.

With the awning tilted and sloped, the only point of refuge was a small shadow at the back end of the trailer.

Best solution is curtains that hang from the awning, but that can also be an issue with the power awning.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Rally afternoon w.jpg   W sprinklers.jpg   side curtain.jpg  
Old 11-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #47

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
magic awning

I like the new push button model and we are working on curtains that are light weight and with the right clips the curtain might just pop loose if the magic awning comes in by itself.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I like the new push button model and we are working on curtains that are light weight and with the right clips the curtain might just pop loose if the magic awning comes in by itself.
Jack
But if they don't "pop loose" it could get expensive!
Old 11-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
But if they don't "pop loose" it could get expensive!

And, any gust of wind might pop them when you don't want them to pop.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sun shades

Finesse is the name of the game. If anybody can do it, Jack can. They make ice fishing monofilament in 1/2 lb increments.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I go along with the few naysayers - my whole use for an awning is to provide shade & keep light rain out. If you can't tilt the awning, there will be lots of times the sun will creep in under the awning. Even light rain will pool in the center of the awning, requiring action on the part of the user to keep it from forming a pool.

When I bought my 21, there wasn't a choice; the electric was all that was available. I had an armed, tillable awning on the 17, and preferred it.
Now that they have the manual option, Jon, any plans to swap it out?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Now that they have the manual option, Jon, any plans to swap it out?
If I get back to Chilliwack, and it is a possible modification, yes.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #53

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
awning

Dave, you give a new direction. I used to use the monofilament line when I was a member of the ice holers in Utah. A hole saw, a barbque, some anti-freeze and we were set. Thanks, Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ideas

I have to think outside of the box to keep up with the kids. Here two of my boys with coach Rita. they are scheming on how to beat Michigan. You go downfield on a crossing route and I’ll hit you on the 14. Take it in from there. Go Bucks
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E52CCC33-1DB6-481F-AE7E-C1FE78DC1D1F.jpg   2259B717-229E-4582-AC95-C8041836577C.jpg  
Old 11-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I have to think outside of the box to keep up with the kids. Here two of my boys with coach Rita. they are scheming on how to beat Michigan. You go downfield on a crossing route and I’ll hit you on the 14. Take it in from there. Go Bucks
Iowa Dave
Those crossing patterns worked pretty good today! My goodness, MIchigan didn’t have a chance!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
Painters pole and PVC pipe, looks like a great solution
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #57

Trailer: 2015 escape 21
Auto retraction wins with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I also am a function over form kind of guy, and completely disagree that electric wins only on aesthetics. It also wins on ease of deployment, ease of redeployment, which means I, for one, use it all the time, instead of only some of the time, as I did with my Carefree Fiesta. The electric also wins for having a fully contained cassette that keeps the awning dry when driving down the road in the rain, and for having a wind sensor that autoretracts if you leave your awning deployed while down at the beach when the wind comes up.
Listening to you all screams for me to get one. I have a 21 and just three weeks ago in Moab we woke up at three with gusts and had to get our manual closed up! Of course I probably should have been more on top of the wind but we lazy retirees .... if I ever have to replace, I’m going to look at power!
covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 19'
We are not awning people - have a manual style awning for the FJ for a few years, only deployed it a couple times... have the electric type on our 19' for a little over a year now and only deployed it twice so far... (out of 30 some camping days) , a couple of times we would deploy it and decided it's not necessary or not useful and put it back.. I think the electric one made it easier to deploy and put back, and for people like us who don't use awning that often, kept the awning out of the elements.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
We've had the new 2017 model for over a year and are happy with the electric awning (and everything else including the new style windows). We've used it in the rain a couple times and as others stated only extend it maybe 1/2. We didn't have big water issues, but they weren't huge downpours either. As for cleaning leaves off, I have a rechargeable blower and a step stool I always carry. It's easy to blow off debris before we close it. It we have to close it wet, we open it at home ad make sure it dries out. True for any type of awning I would think.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #60

Trailer: 17A
Escape didn't have a choice on the awning when I ordered my 17A that I picked up on July 30th. I find it useless because I can't change the angle. I've been afraid to use it in the rain but the comment from some of the others will help me with that. If I had a choice I'd go with manual. I used the awning on my Scamp all the time. This one stays in its holder all the time.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote