Any regrets on power awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Older Scamps used a Dometic Catalina 2500 and newer Scamps use a Fiamma F45. Both are a bit flimsy and a pain to deploy. These are absolutely no comparison to the manual Carefree Fiesta which is a phenomenal and bulletproof awning. Nice that you have an option for a screen room too with Carefree. Electric wins only on aesthetics and that is not enough for me. I’m a function over form kind of guy.
We have the Fiamma awning on our Casita and are extremely happy with it .
Easy to deploy or retract , can be tipped for drainage and plenty sturdy for our usage.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Would not have a power awning, too flimsy for my liking. Manual awnings are stronger, more versatile, and have proven their reliability.
You might say I'm not a "button pushing cowboy"
Old 11-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One thing to consider is are you a camper or a traveler?
When camping, we deploy the awning at set up. When stopping overnight, it stays stowed.

Mostly because I am lazy.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ft
We have a 2017 19 with the power awning and really like it. It is simple to deploy and quick to put away. It sheds the rain well when deployed 30 to 40%. This fall while camped in Manning park the awning was fully rain tested. No problem during heavy rains, it was extended just beyond our mat which is about 6 feet wide.

Years ago we were traveling with our tent trailer and arrived in Drumheller Alberta during a significant dust storm. We parked the trailer and went to a nearby diner to wait out the storm. When we got back to the campsite there were lots of damaged and destroyed manual awnings that people did not get put away soon enough or were just not around to try. Manual awnings are not perfect.

I would buy another power awning.
RTRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRadio View Post
When we got back to the campsite there were lots of damaged and destroyed manual awnings that people did not get put away soon enough or were just not around to try.

Been there, done that. Camped at Lundbreck Falls when wind and lightening suddenly rolled through the site. I didn't dare try to put the awning away in the gusts. I just hung on to one awning arm, hoping my weight would keep it grounded, and hoping that the lightening wouldn't seek ground through me.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My last stick trailer had a manual awning and the first few inches that attached to the trailer was starting to disintegrate after only 7 years. I guess the previous owner had kept it in the sun. If I was going to get the manual I would budget for new material in 10 years or so as it is not covered in a case like the electric.

I had no problem operating the manual but my wife had arthritis at the time and she would not have been able to operate it if her life depended on it. I think we all buy Escape trailers because they last. Think of your future health limitations.

We don’t stay in one place long but anybody that does without power may be reluctant to use it up putting the power awning in and out a few times a day...it all adds up on the drain.

I love the looks, convenience and neet factor of the power awning...but $700 extra for something that does the same job is a tough sell.

The vertical telescoping painters pole fits into the horizontal pvc pipe for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
4D05D900-D3FA-47AE-B27C-4D8895072B06.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #27

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Can you order an Escape without the awning?
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I also am a function over form kind of guy, and completely disagree that electric wins only on aesthetics. It also wins on ease of deployment, ease of redeployment, which means I, for one, use it all the time, instead of only some of the time, as I did with my Carefree Fiesta. The electric also wins for having a fully contained cassette that keeps the awning dry when driving down the road in the rain, and for having a wind sensor that autoretracts if you leave your awning deployed while down at the beach when the wind comes up.
Scott: I respect your opinion and experience with both awnings. Very valid points in favor of the electric. Just glad there are several awning options now that can be selected based on owner preferences. Either awning has some pros/cons, but ultimately should work well for most users.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Can you order an Escape without the awning?
A couple folks have done so, but with the recess for one in the new moulds it would look a bit odd.

Curious to know why you ask, would you install your own or go without, and with the latter I would wonder why with that too. I love having an awning, manual or electric.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #30

Trailer: 2000 Casita
Thanks everyone! We’ve made our decision to go with power awning! Just one less thing to struggle with and ease wins the debate!!
Jan Nentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Scott: I respect your opinion and experience with both awnings. Very valid points in favor of the electric. Just glad there are several awning options now that can be selected based on owner preferences. Either awning has some pros/cons, but ultimately should work well for most users.

Agreed, Dave. I like options, and both awnings have their strong suits. I too loved all the things that people value in the manual awning, but on balance just prefer the electric - for me. Glad ETI gives people a choice, so we all win!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My experience in recent years has been that the quality of the electronics in a device has been more of a limiting factor in lifespan than the mechanical components. Maybe it is because of the proliferation of cheap Chinese components or just the nature of electronics. Case in point is the F150 that I had prior to my FJ, the body and mechanical operation of the truck were nearly perfect but the F150 was suffering a slow lingering death due to progressive failure of many of the electrical components in the truck. I think that the electric awnings in the Escapes are cool and have "some" nice features, but for me the adjustability of the old style awning and the non-electrical nature make it my first choice.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Yesterday we really struggled on this particular decision while working on our final build at Escape, we thought we had decided on the manual only to return to Escape this morning and change it back to the electric Dometic awning. We finally decided on this for a couple of reasons, firstly, we are both really forgetful and I know that we would certainly leave the awning open sometimes and probably lose it in a windstorm, secondly, we also did not like the look of the two vertical arms on the manual awning. It was a tough decision because both styles have some serious advantages, really comes down to individual likes. THE REAL TEST will be when I crack my first sudsy under the awning this coming spring, will it be cold and refreshing ? I think so 🍻
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Yesterday we really struggled on this particular decision while working on our final build at Escape, we thought we had decided on the manual only to return to Escape this morning and change it back to the electric Dometic awning. We finally decided on this for a couple of reasons, firstly, we are both really forgetful and I know that we would certainly leave the awning open sometimes and probably lose it in a windstorm, secondly, we also did not like the look of the two vertical arms on the manual awning. It was a tough decision because both styles have some serious advantages, really comes down to individual likes. THE REAL TEST will be when I crack my first sudsy under the awning this coming spring, will it be cold and refreshing ? I think so 🍻
We had almost finalized our build sheet, but before finally signing off, we flipped back to the electric, mostly for the ease of use and the aesthetics. Good call!
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have had trailers with both manual and electric awnings. Must say I love the electric awning. But, the electric awning on my current trailer can be tilted on either side (or both) for rain. So, I was surprised to learn that the model Escape uses does not tilt. My question is why doesn't Escape use one that does tilt?
mconrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you analyze other power awnings, those with the scissors along the walls can be tilted somewhat as can the manual with the arms. The Escape model has no arms, no scissors, nothing to obstruct the view of the trailer. Tilting was a tradeoff for the nice set up. If you want tilt, get the manual with arms
Old 11-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrath View Post
I have had trailers with both manual and electric awnings. Must say I love the electric awning. But, the electric awning on my current trailer can be tilted on either side (or both) for rain. So, I was surprised to learn that the model Escape uses does not tilt. My question is why doesn't Escape use one that does tilt?
Sorry, you have exceeded your tilt allowance! You are only allowed 2 tilts per post, and technically ‘tilted’ counts as a tilt.........

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 19’
We went with the power awning. The neat look was part of it, but mainly the ease and quickness to deploy and retract were pivotal. Also, I Judge that you are likely to have more problems either manual arms and locking mechanisms than w the automatic. I can’t see where rain will be problem with a pole or two or just pushing up e a broom or something. Both awnings are big and will likely serve well.
Ksambor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We definitely went with the electric awning. It’s one of the reasons we purchased a 2018 19’er. At the time we made our order, ETI wasn’t planning to offer the electric at all in 2019. They’ve since reconsidered after listening to their customers, and I understand offer the electric as an option on 2019.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I go along with the few naysayers - my whole use for an awning is to provide shade & keep light rain out. If you can't tilt the awning, there will be lots of times the sun will creep in under the awning. Even light rain will pool in the center of the awning, requiring action on the part of the user to keep it from forming a pool.

When I bought my 21, there wasn't a choice; the electric was all that was available. I had an armed, tillable awning on the 17, and preferred it.