Any regrets on power awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Casita
Any regrets on power awning

As we finalize our build sheet on our Escape 21, we are curious if anyone regrets getting the power awning. Our concerns are how water drains off if you cannot tilt one side, whether you can push it in if power switch fails, and is there a function that it auto shuts if it starts to rain. I appreciate all recommendations on making this final decision!
Jan Nentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Well, you're about to get an ear full of opinions. I'll just say that we have one on our 2107 21, and love it for its simplicity, effectiveness, and for its clean lines... none of those poles sticking to the side of the trailer. On our maiden voyage, we didn't know about the whole rain water collection issue, and had left the awning opened all night during a rainstorm. The next morning I went out to discover that our awning had been turned into a swimming pool. It all worked out, though. the awning regained its normal shape/size, and I learned that if the awning is going to be open when it's raining, only have it out 1/3 or so of the way. Then it works great. If we had it to do over again, we'd stick with the power awning for sure. Now, just sit back and wait to hear from the masses about how wrong I am!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
I agree with LRL; the power awning has worked just fine for us, for the year we have had our 5.0 TA. In my opinion, it looks much neater than the ones with the arms. But there are a lot of people who prefer the older models. To each his own.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Nentrup View Post
we are curious if anyone regrets getting the power awning. Our concerns are how water drains off if you cannot tilt one side,whether you can push it in if power switch fails, and is there a function that it auto shuts if it starts to rain. I appreciate all recommendations on making this final decision!
Have not had mine long enough to say if I have any regrets, but so far so good.

Supposedly and according to owners manual the awning has Water Shed feature (page 4) is supposed to tilt to one side if water collects, but cannot speak if that works or not.

Again according to owners manual, the awning can be cranked in if the electric does not work, but requires the removal of left end cap.

Will only auto retract if wind causes the awning to flap beyond sensitivity setting, preset at factory and owner adjustable. The is controlled by battery operating module that sits in the lead rail of awning. Manual can be download at the following link.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...wning-_-164371
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
So far we like the power awning. If it is raining we only deploy it 40-50% of the way and that works fine. If we are leaving for several hours we put it in, and with high wind we put it in. All of this is very quick and easy.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember reading my awning manual years ago on my first trailer, it stated that the awning is for shade, not rain and use during rain, particularly heavy rain was not recommended. My manual awning was always brought in halfway during rain and the power awning likewise. The arms are scissor like and fully extended there is no middle support, 50% extension allows middle support. The wind sensor is a nice feature and retracts if a gust of wind occurs (seems like it happens around 3 pm at Osoyoos) there is a manual retraction procedure.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I pretty much agree with what is said. I love the clean lines it offers, the ease of operation, and the auto-retract. It is a fantastic sun shade.

Where is lacks is its capacity in the rain. I too keep it near 50% open and the arms are close enough for good support to not allow pooling and sheds the rain. If I am around when it is raining, I have devised a simple T using an adjustable tarp pole and a 4' cross member which will fall out of place should the awning retract, yet sheds water at full extension.

If I was ordering now, I would still go with the power awning as it's benefits out-weight its drawbacks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #8

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
When we picked up our 21 this past January, the gal doing the orientation said that some people solve the rain drainage problem by putting a construction hat on top of a telescoping pole and sort of tent the awning slightly in the middle. Personally, since we live in the Northwest we don't want the awning to get damp and moldy so we don't deploy the awning in rainy weather. If we are packing up in the morning we make sure the awning is closed up the night before to avoid morning dew.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You read the book? That’s it! Turn in your man card.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmtn View Post
.....the gal doing the orientation said that some people solve the rain drainage problem by putting a construction hat on top of a telescoping pole and sort of tent the awning slightly in the middle..
I used a hardhat on a tarp pole once and posted a photo of it here. That was right after they started installing the electric awning. I kinda doubt anyone else did that though. This is what gave me the idea to do something better on the post, I just used the hardhat to protect the fabric from the tip of the pole, because it was what was around.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We had, and used extensively, a manual awning on our 17B. We have the electric awning on our 19. I'll take the electric awning every time. Every gadget can be broken if misused, including both manual and electric awnings. Just learn proper use for whichever you get, then use it appropriately.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I used a canoe paddle to prop up the middle of a tarp once. Had the blade wedged into the top of the picnic table. Wind came up overnight and I had a very short canoe paddle.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
And... To speak to the manual awning... We had a manual awning on our 16'er Scamp for 10+ years. Used it only twice. It was a "pain" to put out, and we couldn't leave the trailer without retracting it - in case of wind. So, it just wasn't worth the hassle. We pick up our new Escape 19'er on Dec 6th and really look forward to having an awning which we'll actually use! The electric!
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
And... To speak to the manual awning... We had a manual awning on our 16'er Scamp for 10+ years. Used it only twice. It was a "pain" to put out

Not sure what awning the Scamp used, but the Carefree Fiesta manual awning on my 17B can be deployed in three or four minutes by one person. Less time if there are two of you.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
And... To speak to the manual awning... We had a manual awning on our 16'er Scamp for 10+ years. Used it only twice. It was a "pain" to put out, and we couldn't leave the trailer without retracting it - in case of wind. So, it just wasn't worth the hassle. We pick up our new Escape 19'er on Dec 6th and really look forward to having an awning which we'll actually use! The electric!
The awning on our used 1999 Scamp 16 ft was a Dometic
It was such a PIA to use that we deployed it only once . Also something was bent , evidently the OP did not get it taken down quickly enough when the wind picked up .
We have the powered awning on our new trailer but can’t pass judgement because we haven’t used it yet . Maybe next year ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We're with gbaglo ... we can deploy or retract our manual awning in mere minutes. And, we certainly enjoy the fact that we can have it out during a rainstorm, lowering one corner to let the water drain off.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not sure what awning the Scamp used, but the Carefree Fiesta manual awning on my 17B can be deployed in three or four minutes by one person. Less time if there are two of you.
Older Scamps used a Dometic Catalina 2500 and newer Scamps use a Fiamma F45. Both are a bit flimsy and a pain to deploy. These are absolutely no comparison to the manual Carefree Fiesta which is a phenomenal and bulletproof awning. Nice that you have an option for a screen room too with Carefree. Electric wins only on aesthetics and that is not enough for me. I’m a function over form kind of guy.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Having come from a 16' Scamp with its horrible awning set-up, we really like the power awning. We only extend it 1/2 way or less if it's raining or moderately windy.

It is difficult to sweep off. With the manual awning on the Scamp we could drop the supports down and with the awning near vertical it was easy to sweep off. Haven't found an easy way to clean the power awning - even with a 6' ladder to stand on.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Electric wins only on aesthetics and that is not enough for me. I’m a function over form kind of guy.

I also am a function over form kind of guy, and completely disagree that electric wins only on aesthetics. It also wins on ease of deployment, ease of redeployment, which means I, for one, use it all the time, instead of only some of the time, as I did with my Carefree Fiesta. The electric also wins for having a fully contained cassette that keeps the awning dry when driving down the road in the rain, and for having a wind sensor that autoretracts if you leave your awning deployed while down at the beach when the wind comes up.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Nentrup View Post
As we finalize our build sheet on our Escape 21, we are curious if anyone regrets getting the power awning. Our concerns are how water drains off if you cannot tilt one side, whether you can push it in if power switch fails, and is there a function that it auto shuts if it starts to rain. I appreciate all recommendations on making this final decision!
We are very happy with ours -- not a lot of experience yet - but we didn't want the bars across the window and we often just won't bother with the manual one anyway. It is so easy to use and as far as we can tell from the debriefing we got - there are good ways to deal with any power issue. But, we are people who don't use one a lot anyway and just love the ease.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote