Anyone "bake" on their cooktop? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
She can torque your lug nuts accurately too. She’s a champion.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #22
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
In our tent camping days and when we had our 1st tent trailer (that had no oven) we used this https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...4895390&sr=8-3 (Glad to see it still being sold!)

This little oven is simple, lightweight, compact (folds nice and flat) and has a convenient thermostat on front. I baked a ton of birthday cakes, breakfast breads and cookies in it. The rack in it is 10x10 inches so fits most toaster oven cookware.

However, if you plan to use this oven with your indoor Escape counter top stove, I would make sure the metal oven does not sit/rest too close to your laminate counter top. The metal gets very hot! Hence, I would be cautious using this with any flush-top stove types but otherwise, it works great on typical portable propane stoves or stoves with raised metal brackets.

Our oven like this is in a camping box in the attic, mixed in with all our other fun camping gadgets ready to hand down to the next generation some day. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #23

I never thought the Coleman ovens worked very well till I went to Idaho in 1969 to work. The horse and mule person for the Forest service is called the Packer. Our Packer was Al Maynard. Al was a master on the Coleman stove and accessory oven. When we were out overnight he baked biscuits , made hot sandwiches, and baked pies. We would pick huckleberries on the way in at the end of the day and take the liner out of our metal hard hats to carry them. We washed them in a snow runoff stream, Al had several little pie pans in his cook box and under his direction we would make a crust and prepare the pie for baking. While we gathered some firewood, Al would keep an eagle eye on that temperature gauge and the result was a warm blueberry pie in the gathering darkness as we discussed the day’s activities around a campfire. This made a lifetime memory for me. Those little ovens do work if you know what you’re doing.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #24
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I never thought the Coleman ovens worked very well till I went to Idaho in 1969 to work. ....... Those little ovens do work if you know what you’re doing.
Iowa Dave
Thanks for the reminder Dave! I forgot to mention that I always use a non-glazed ceramic pizza stone or tile in the bottom of these little ovens, including in my current oven in our 21C. I like how it disperses the heat more evenly - and like you said - makes for great lifetime memories!!! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We use a #10 cast iron skillet plus a small steel pan cut down to 1/2" high that is inverted into the skillet. That steel pan creates an air space and I bake biscuits on top of it. Place a tight fitting lid on top of the skillet (mine is stainless sterl) and you have created an oven like thing. I bake pizza, biscuits, crescent rolls, etc in it. My instant pot with 6" baking pans inside makes cakes, cornbread, muffins.
That helps answer my question!
Old 06-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #26
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
I never thought the Coleman ovens worked very well till I went to Idaho in 1969 to work. ... Al would keep an eagle eye on that temperature gauge and the result was a warm blueberry in the gathering darkness as we discussed the day’s activities around a campfire. This made a lifetime memory for me. Those little ovens do work if you know what you’re doing.
Iowa Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
I’ve made biscuits, bread, and cake in the Omnia. It takes a little figuring out but it is nice for cool weather camping when you don’t mind running the stove. ...
Seems like there is a recurring theme - practice and watch the oven carefully.

We live in an area with frequent outdoor burning restrictions and our camping destinations often have similar restrictions, so the Dutch oven and coal method other posts have mentioned are probably not a reasonable alternative for us. Maybe one of these days we will be fortunate to camp near some of the forum members who use a Dutch oven and coals to see and smell the wonderful baked goods.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Next time I'm going to camp closer to Nindy........
That would be lovely! Will we be seeing you on the Mississippi?
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #28

Quote:
She can torque your lug nuts accurately too. She’s a champion.
Iowa Dave
I'm glad everyone only remembers that time I was really good at something I knew nothing about! Two years later I completely bombed at the competition as I recall!
Old 06-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #29

I was afraid some might not have remembered for whatever reason so I had to remind them.

Hope you’re having a good summer and still doing some inventory/ research. I was surprised to see a posting a week or so ago about the overall reduction in the pocket gopher population in Iowa. They were asking for reports of sightings or evidence by county. On Saturday I was pulling some steel stakes in my prairie and there was a fresh mound.

I used to head out into the urban hinterlands as a kid and had a blue Jean leg bag I’d scoop a mound of dirt into and take it home to my mom for potting soil for her zinnias, hollyhocks and bachelor buttons. Couldn’t beat the fine texture, black soil and natural fertility. Should be fun in September.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Hope you’re having a good summer...
Iowa Dave
What a great memory, bringing home that great Iowa soil to mom. Too bad about the pocket gophers. We're supposed to have them in MO but I've never seen one.

I AM having a great summer. I've actually camped twice in the Great Smokies since the end of April and both times stopped at my southern MO property on the way home. Also three separate trips to the property this year so far.

The latest trip to the Smokies was a firefly photography workshop where we got to photograph synchronous fireflies, blue ghosts and others for four nights on private property without the crowds and lights!

I am just shy of 60,000 miles on my trailer now, since March 2015. Looking forward to seeing you in September.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We now have a Dickinson Caribbean stove with a great oven in our trailer and love the results. With our previous Escape I used the Dickinson Spitfire BBQ with a stone tile on the grill to bake and got some really good results from that. The latter could work with any decent BBQ.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:44 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
That would be lovely! Will we be seeing you on the Mississippi?
Not this year, we are Escapeless until next May when we get our new E19 at the factory.....then the fun begins........
Old 07-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #33

Trailer: 2002 19' Scamp
Omina and Cuisinart

I have an Omina oven. There is a learning curve but it works fine. I used it in my Scamp. When I bought my Escape the previous owner left me a tabletop convection oven. It works just fine, too. And simpler than cast iron or the Omina.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2006 Escape
Omnia oven

I love my Omni oven, although I have not used it on the cook top. I use my Coleman stove outside. I have baked pillsbury cinnamon buns 3 times, and two bananas breads from scratch. All have turned out perfect. I make sure that I heat the base on high for one minute, then place oven on it and heat for another minute on high. Then bake the rest of the way on medium low. I also joined the Omni oven Facebook site, and have gotten many ideas that I am going to try. For the banana bread, I pre measured the dry ingredients in a zip lock bag, and froze the bananas. Yes it is expensive, but so is spending $48000.00 to live like a homeless person. Lol
Judy Duggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
I regularly use a Coleman collapsible oven on my Blackstone griddle ( griddle removed,) to bake stuff. Small, portable and cheap. Never tried it inside though
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #36

Trailer: 17A
Hi, I've used the Omnia Stovetop oven with good results. Baked a cake in it once that turned out okay. The only drawback is that you're using a lot of propane because the stove has to be on for 45 to 60 minutes. Also, it's important for the burner area of the stove to be very clean because any food residue will be baked onto the stove itself. Hope that helps. I have my Omnia for sale, if you're interested in buying it. I've decided to go with a cast iron Dutch Oven instead, which does have to be outside.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 15B
My mother used to make cake in a pressure cooker when we were travelling and it was very good. I just Googled "pressure cooker cake" and there are recipes.
scoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5reeds View Post
I regularly use a Coleman collapsible oven on my Blackstone griddle ( griddle removed,) to bake stuff. Small, portable and cheap. Never tried it inside though
That's an interesting combination. Which Blackstone do you have?
Old 07-07-2021, 02:50 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 21'
I also have a newly purchased Omnia - used only once so far, inside my house. Will be using it on a long upcoming trip. Just FYI - facebook has a Group "Omnia Stovetop Cooking". Tips, questions answered, ideas, some recipes. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/143800689351894
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I used my Omnia for the first time this week. Blueberry muffins came out fine. I kept the heat low, and extended the heat time. Always good to learn something new. I also like that the Omnia isn’t heavy. Through 50 years of tent camping, I always preferred to keep the weight down.