Anyone have construction problems? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or better yet do like I did, and go camping with them for the weekend the day you do the pick up.
Or even better than that: Camp with them in Texas and drink their whiskey!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Quick fix for a stripped hole in wood is a hard round style tooth pick and some wood glue. Dab some wood glue on the tooth pick slip it into the hole down as far as it will go. Let dry trim off excess with a sharp razor knife reinstall screw done if the hole is slightly larger then the round tooth pic slip a flat tooth pick in next to it. Becareful not to over tighten the screw. If the above does not work do not go longer that could end badly lol just take the screw to a hardware store and have them give you the same length but one diameter size larger .

Cypher
Besides the light coming through door .Has anyone got a fix for the outside screws coming loose that hold the door on . The outside hinge, the top one making the door sag . My understanding there are 2 different screws for the hinge so a longer is not going to help . Is there something to put in screw hole to tighten hole up ? I was thinking some kind of sealant ? Because it is outside . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Besides the light coming through door .Has anyone got a fix for the outside screws coming loose that hold the door on . The outside hinge, the top one making the door sag . My understanding there are 2 different screws for the hinge so a longer is not going to help . Is there something to put in screw hole to tighten hole up ? I was thinking some kind of sealant ? Because it is outside . Pat
Have you asked ETI what would be a good product? If it were my Scamp (and it's not), I'd fill the hole with Marine two-part epoxy and re-drill.... I think.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I would go up to a #10 stainless screw.

Cheers
Doug
Old 10-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Have you asked ETI what would be a good product? If it were my Scamp (and it's not), I'd fill the hole with Marine two-part epoxy and re-drill.... I think.
Good idea Donna . If I get a chance will call Escape can also send them some pictures . Will the epoxy stay strong for long term ? Not worked much with it so don't know . It looks like screw head is a little mangled so probably a little ambitious with a drill . Thanks for the help though . Pat
Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I would go up to a #10 stainless screw.

Cheers
Doug
Using the larger screw won't crack fiberglass ? There must be wood glassed in body for hinge ? Thanks ahead . Pat
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello NW Catowner.
We picked up our 17 B in January 2005.Production # 35.We still have it and use it.
Had the entrance door adjusted and the front window replaced from a slider to solid pane(tinted).Screwed up the circuitboard for the fridge all by myself using a undersized cable.Dometic paid for replacement.Fridge been working perfectly ever since it is the 3 cubic size of course..Trying to think of something else but can not remember any problems.We have of course done ugrades to modernise to present day standards, but we have been very happy with the trailer all those ten years.
Allan
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
And that,
ladies and gentlemen
is a testimonial.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A update for anyone else with this problem of screws coming loose Escape answered back , their answer get a adhesive for metal and wood ( screws are attached to a wood block )fill the screw hole with the adhesive . At this time no larger screw. Reattach. I will change out to new stainless screw , same size though . They now have someone else to answer your issues . Pat
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #30

Anyone have construction problems

Quote:
This is a follow up to a post I made Oct. of 2015 . Had resealed the screws as per Escape"s instructions . I was 1 month from the end of my warranty so impossible to go to Escape . Since that date had to remove our door and with the help of a fellow forum member fix near end ,and top of door, on the inside repair a 7 in crack . Came out great . Familiar with a little fiberglassing back in the day , making fish tanks using fiberglass cloth ,and boat resins . Told Tammy of this problem . Now have been watching our beloved door hinge dropping and getting worse every day . Door still opened and closed fine . Yesterday pulled the top hinge and found the holes were elongated . Also the hinge itself has nylon washers there were not doing their job any longer . In other words hinge had a lot of movement to it. Also noticed the holes drilled for top hinge were not drilled so hinge was level . When we bought the trailer I had ordered a new pair of hinges from Escape because I noticed no matter what you did the hinges degrade and pit. you can wax to the cows come home and they will pit etc. I have some extra 3 m 4200 filled the holes with a piece of dowel planning to drill through and add screws . Was only able to use 2 and had to redrill 4 straightening out the hinge . I had a bike tire and cut a rubber gasket for the hinges . I used a hole punch to make the holes for hinge . Added and Donna, hide your eye"s clear silicone to rubber gaskets. In case I need to remove will make it easier . I want to look for stainless hinges . I am not afraid to drill needed holes etc. anymore on this trailer . I posted this because I can't be the only one who had a door that was a crappy install . There are other problems with the door but I am not getting into that. We consider ourselves lucky to not have real problems like cracking on my roof . Only our door which wasn't"t life changing and it is fixed . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0852.jpg   IMG_0853 2.jpg   IMG_0854 2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #31

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
This is a follow up to a post I made Oct. of 2015 . (snip) I posted this because I can't be the only one who had a door that was a crappy install . There are other problems with the door but I am not getting into that. We consider ourselves lucky to not have real problems like cracking on my roof . Only our door which wasn't"t life changing and it is fixed . Pat
Hey, those new hinges look great! And did you keep track of how many hours all this work took? Dang!

Is the door sealing any better? I had heard there were problems with the doors not sealing very well.

Hey, least you could still open the door and all that! And you weren't trapped inside or outside with a door that wouldn't work.

So, when's the first test of the new door? Driveway camping does not count, sorry.

A cracking roof!?!??!?! Now THAT does not sound good in the least.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Nicely done. Yes, it's really important that the hinge pins are in the same axis. If they weren't that would have caused binding and the premature hinge wear.

Hopefully your careful realignment will make them more trouble free.

Speaking of roof cracks, I still haven't put in a support pole like you did. But since there has been at least one owner with roof cracks above that area and the new models having a post to support the upper cabinet I'm still thinking that it'd be a good idea.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #33

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
(snip)

Speaking of roof cracks, I still haven't put in a support pole like you did. But since there has been at least one owner with roof cracks above that area and the new models having a post to support the upper cabinet I'm still thinking that it'd be a good idea.

Ron
Um, somebody has roof cracks? How new/old is the trailer, do you know? OMG, I'd be completely freaking out over that. And hauling it back up to ETI as quick as I could (or have them haul it up at their cost if I lived too far away to easily do so) since that sounds like a manufacturing defect - not enough fiberglass in that area or it didn't cure properly (I'm guessing). And should be covered, regardless of how old the trailer is.

How easy/hard is it to install that pole? It sure is nice to have for when you're coming in and out of the trailer, never mind the extra support it gives the roof and all that.

Doesn't look like the 17s have that support pole, according to the photos on ETI's site.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hey, those new hinges look great! And did you keep track of how many hours all this work took? Dang!

Is the door sealing any better? I had heard there were problems with the doors not sealing very well.

Hey, least you could still open the door and all that! And you weren't trapped inside or outside with a door that wouldn't work.

So, when's the first test of the new door? Driveway camping does not count, sorry.

A cracking roof!?!??!?! Now THAT does not sound good in the least.
Hey Laura . Thankyou and ,Thankyou in my youth to the Carpenters Union who gave me many skills . Actully the door was working but hanging down . Not good . Yes the new hinges look good right now but I still want to find some stainless hinges to replace . I removed the bottom hinge today and made some rubber gaskets out of the bike tube and added a little clear silicone also . The door seems to seal pretty good , there is backer rod behind the seal
on door which helps to push it tighter. If I don't get to go camping here soon I have thought about the driveway . Yes there is a pretty new trailer that has lots of cracking on their roof .when you are working for yourself I guess you don't get paid . . Pat
Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Nicely done. Yes, it's really important that the hinge pins are in the same axis. If they weren't that would have caused binding and the premature hinge wear.

Hopefully your careful realignment will make them more trouble free.

Ron
Thanks Ron . The pole looks pretty good . If I have to redo the hinges again I think I'll add a bigger dowel . Should of taken a picture of the completed door , but it looks a lot better .
Pat
Old 04-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Um, somebody has roof cracks? How new/old is the trailer, do you know? OMG, I'd be completely freaking out over that. And hauling it back up to ETI as quick as I could (or have them haul it up at their cost if I lived too far away to easily do so) since that sounds like a manufacturing defect - not enough fiberglass in that area or it didn't cure properly (I'm guessing). And should be covered, regardless of how old the trailer is.

How easy/hard is it to install that pole? It sure is nice to have for when you're coming in and out of the trailer, never mind the extra support it gives the roof and all that.

Doesn't look like the 17s have that support pole, according to the photos on ETI's site.
Laura I think it is a 2015 19 . The pole was very easy to install . I had to make a few adjustments because of where my sink is and it wasn't originally planned for . I really like the looks of it though . Have to check about a 17 but I just saw one in a 15 Tammy put up for sale . Pat
Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #37

Quote:

Laura just looked and it looks like new outside , Classic inside . Someone with a new 17 would have to answer about the pole in their trailer . Pat
Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Hey Laura . Thankyou and ,Thankyou in my youth to the Carpenters Union who gave me many skills . (snip) If I don't get to go camping here soon I have thought about the driveway . Yes there is a pretty new trailer that has lots of cracking on their roof .(snip) Pat
I've been very impressed with what various folks will do to their trailers. I just look at 'em and think "heck if I know what to do here". And hire someone, if need be. Yep, getting Charlie of RV Widgets to install a shoe box and drawer under my bed next week.

I was very concerned about the snow on the trailer's roof during the winter, until I saw photos from ETI with lots more than I had. And their snow is probably just as wet as ours. If they didn't take it off, then my roof should still be fine.

But, yeah, I'm gonna check that roof every time I wash the trailer.

I sure hope ETI is working with the owner to fix it at their expense. And quickly, as it'd be a bummer to miss out on any camping.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #39

Quote:
I've been very impressed with what various folks will do to their trailers. I just look at 'em and think "heck if I know what to do here". And hire someone, if need be. Yep, getting Charlie of RV Widgets to install a shoe box and drawer under my bed next week.

I was very concerned about the snow on the trailer's roof during the winter, until I saw photos from ETI with lots more than I had. And their snow is probably just as wet as ours. If they didn't take it off, then my roof should still be fine.

But, yeah, I'm gonna check that roof every time I wash the trailer.

I sure hope ETI is working with the owner to fix it at their expense. And quickly, as it'd be a bummer to miss out on any camping.
Laura you are going to love the shoe box Charley makes you . We also had him make us one too . Me too about the roof . Pat
Old 04-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
...When we bought the trailer I had ordered a new pair of hinges from Escape because I noticed no matter what you did the hinges degrade and pit. you can wax to the cows come home and they will pit etc.
The hinges on Ten Forward are starting to pit. I wonder if it's because these are refrigerator hinges and not chromed for outdoor use? (If there is such a thing). Pat, I'd be interested if you ever come across stainless (or even really good aluminum) hinges. Otherwise, I may just considered the hinges textured. Or maybe I'll pull them off, grind off the chrome and paint them black. Nah... I like textured better.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote