Anyone passing through Central TX? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
Anyone passing through Central TX?

My wife and I live in Austin, TX and are seriously considering purchasing an Escape. We have always been tent campers and backpackers but have a 3.5 yr old and 1.5 yr old which we find has resulted in our tent camping less frequently than we’d like. We’ve never owned a camper/trailer of any sort but came to the conclusion that having a fiberglass travel trailer would hopefully make it a little easier to get out there more often again.

Even though it would be much more convenient to purchase a Casita since they are easy to get here in TX, we keep thinking that the Escape is the fg tt for us. We really like everything we've read about the Escape via extensive web research. Great floor plans, quality reputation & great people to deal with among many other desirable things. Besides, what better way to start our fiberglass camping journey than taking a trip across the us from the pacific northwest back to TX? Not to mention stopping to visit family in eastern Washington, western Montana & several places in Colorado too!

We are debating between the 17B w/ the bunk option or the 19'. I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner 4WD w/V6 engine and rated for 5000lb towing capacity. I’m guessing I can pull the 19’ without too much problem. Although I’m a little worried about our annual trips to the mountains of Colorado. Any opinions on that? I think I saw a posting that someone was picking up a 19’ earlier this month with a 2000 4Runner tug and was wondering how it is working out for them.

In any case, we’d love to see either or both the 17b & 19’ Escape in person if possible which brings us to the golden question: Are there any Escape owners passing through Central TX in the near future? It could help us make a final decision & finally get to a point where we could place an order.

Many thanks in advance,

Brad Roalson

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #2

Re: Anyone passing through Central TX?

We need a great floor plans, quality reputation & great people to deal with among many other desirable things.

chen2x18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #3

Update -

We received a message from the Eddys (many thanks!) who are currently out on the road with their new 19' pulled by their 2000 4Runner. Word is that it pulls like a dream! After hearing from them, getting detailed specs from Tammy, and marking out the size of the 19' in our driveway with chalk, my wife (Shay) and I decided we didn't have the patience to wait to see one in person... so I'm excited to say we put in our order for a 19' this morning!

Even though we already decided to take the plunge, we'd still love to see a 19' (or any size Escape for that matter) in person between now and late Sept when ours should be ready for pick up. So let us know if any of you will be traveling through the central Texas region & maybe we can treat you to a delicious Tex-Mex meal.

Can't wait to start plotting our journey to & from Chilliwack for pick up in late Sept.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Congratulations Brad!! Waiting may be a pain but I think you'll be very happy!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Brad,
Thanks for saving us a trip to BC ! We are in Galveston and had actually planned to leave next week to head to the NW and the factory. But instead we are heading to CO. So I hope that once you get your Escape we can make arrangements to come see yours. We currently have a Casita 17 SD and hope the little extra room of the 19' will work.

Hope your wait is not toooooooo bad!
Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

We currently have a Casita 17 SD and hope the little extra room of the 19' will work.
Steve
[/quote]
Hi Steve,
We had a 17' Casita, and saw the 19' Escape when we picked up our 5.0. You will be MORE THAN PLEASED when you see an Escape. It's not just a "little extra room", it's quite a bit more! Wait til you see one, you'll love it!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #7

Thanks Hokie-thought sounds even better.

Steve
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #8

Steve - Absolutely. I'm sure we'll be getting more than a couple requests from people here in TX to come take a look at it. Saves a lot of time & $ vs having to go to BC. I believe that we'll be the 2nd Escape in TX - the other is supposedly a 5.0 somewhere northwest of Ft Worth.

The downside for you will be the time spent waiting for us to get ours back to TX, then the time it takes for you to see it, and then more time spent waiting for yours to be built after you finally place an order. Of course, you've at least got a Casita for now whereas our alternative is to keep on tent camping thru the hot TX summer.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I believe that we'll be the 2nd Escape in TX - the other is supposedly a 5.0 somewhere northwest of Ft Worth.

Steve,
Dayna Caldwell has the 5.0 down in the Lone Star State, and would be glad to show it to you. All you need to see is the quality, and the finish. The floor plan, you can obviously see from the Escape web site, along with some photos. Contact Dayna at: Dayna Caldwell <dkaycaldwell@yahoo.com> She is a lot closer than BC!
Of course, if you have a truck, I'd definitely recommend the 5.0, but if not, the 19 is a beauty.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #10

Brad-we are in no hurry as like you say, we have the Casita. In fact tomorrow we leave for 3 weeks in CO. Also since Hurricaine Ike, my wife has been laid off but we hope that will change soon.

Hokie-thanks for the name in TX. If we get that way to visit I will give a call. Unfortunately a 5th wheel will not work for us as we need the truck bed space to haul our "stuff".

Look forward to talking to you more on these trailers.

Steve