Anyone pull a 5.0TA with a Toyota Tundra? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ahhhh, that's a 1955. Or at least the grill is. 1953-1955 are the slant cabs and from a distance the only way to tell the difference between the years is by the grill.
Hi: Donna D... You're one real sharp Ford gril Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Since this thread started with a question about a Tundra, I Googled, "how does Toyota calculate payload" and got the following from a footnote on a Toyota site:

"The maximum you can haul (payload) depends on base curb weight plus the total weight of any cargo. occupants and ... additional standard/optional equipment and accessories added by the manufacturer, dealers, and/or vehicle owners."

To me, this means all occupants, all stuff, and the pin/tongue weight.
Well put, and that's how it works for every manufacturer. I'll note that the curb weight includes all fluids including full fuel, so carrying fuel does not cut into the available payload.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #83

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Perryb67... Be careful with your tool boxes too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
You should see the way I treat my aluminum F150 boxes. I throw! Things bounce! It's a truck for god's sake! But I'm really Tee'd off I can't drop a boulder in the box!

Oh well,

Perry
Old 12-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Toyota does build 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. They just can’t sell them in this country.
If you search hard enough you will find that Toyota was taken to court back in the 70s by the big three trying to stop the import of they’re trucks. They were allowed to import 1/2 tons but not higher. That is why the 1 ton that the sold around the mid 70s I believe, disappeared. I’m sure it still has something to do with why they don’t increase they’re payload.
I'm not sure where that nonsense came from, but please don't believe it. There's no size or type limit on what vehicles a company can import to the United States (or Canada). You can buy a medium-duty truck from Toyota in North America (it says "Hino" on it), and the Tundra obviously has more than a half-ton (1,000 pounds) of payload.

"Half-ton" isn't even a meaningful term in automotive regulations. There are U.S. federal vehicle classes based on gross vehicle weight rating (not payload, which is what terms such as "half ton" and "one ton" refer to); what is commonly called "1/2 ton", "3/4 ton", and "1 ton" roughly corresponds to Classes 2a, 2b, and 3 in the U.S. federal scheme, which is keyed to various regulations.

The so-called "chicken tax" heavily taxes trucks - but not cars - imported into the United States; it was the result of a trade war and (in 1964) of whining by North American manufactures, about the pickup version of the VW van. As a result, imported trucks are rare, and both Toyota and Nissan build their pickup trucks for North America in North America... and so they build versions suited for this market, which are not even generally available on other continents. They have a relatively small share of the pickup market even in the lighter ranges, and don't even attempt to serve the heavy pickup market, for which they would need to build something having very little in common with the rest of their models. Despite this, Nissan sells their full-size pickup in the heavier Titan XD version which is Class 2b (and the NV3500 van with payload up to 3,700 pounds, which is where they share Titan XD components for production efficiency).

The small Toyota "one ton" disappeared because there was little market here for a small truck to carry a heavy load - with cheap fuel and lots of space, we just buy bigger trucks for that. It didn't help that irresponsible Class C motorhome builders massively overloaded Toyota chassis-cab trucks, causing failures and problems for Toyota.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #85

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Toyota does build 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. They just can’t sell them in this country. If you google Toyota Hilux 1 ton you will find pictures them. I just can’t figure out how to post the pictures. We are on a mifi so maybe not enough juice.
If you search hard enough you will find that Toyota was taken to court back in the 70s by the big three trying to stop the import of they’re trucks. They were allowed to import 1/2 tons but not higher. That is why the 1 ton that the sold around the mid 70s I believe, disappeared. I’m sure it still has something to do with why they don’t increase they’re payload.
Anyways the Tundra and Tacoma factory’s are at peak capacity. If you don’t buy what’s on the lot there is anywhere from a 6 week to 3 month wait for delivery. My 14 Tacoma I waited 6 weeks my first Tundra was 8 weeks, my second Tundra was bought off the lot.
That is most interesting. I don't doubt it's a long wait if you have to order one, as Toyota has among the highest of brand loyalties. I love my Chevy pickup for towing our 19, but we also have a 2003 RAV4 with over 250,000 miles on it. We bought it used in 2016, and it's still going strong despite my husband driving it well beyond what it was designed for So I do get why so many folks want to tow with a Tacoma or Tundra!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #86

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Arnie
I’m crushed, Iowa is bordered by 6 states, your map indicates you’ve been in 4 of these states. What’s the deal with that? Czechs have a greeting that is universal. Vitame’ Vas
We Welcome You!
Iowa Dave
Hi Dave,

You are on my list for sure. We only put a sticker on the map if we drop the landing gear and stay the night. Since Paula's family lives in Ft Wayne, I'm sure we will be back that way within the next two years. I will be in touch when we do.

Cheers!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #87

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

Do you have air bags installed? I am scheduled to get them at the same time Trademasters puts in the 5th wheel.
No, because I have the B&W turnover ball gooseneck. The B&W bracket used the same holes in the frame that the Firestone Airbags use. So that is what sent me on the quest for an alternative. Not only do the Roadmaster Active Suspension springs do the job, they actually work better than airbags since they also eliminate wheel hop. I had air bags on my 2014 Tacoma so I have experience to compare the two. I would recommend the RAS solution.

Edit: Oh, and to just be perfectly clear: I am fully aware that any suspension mod to level the ride, does not increase payload. I didn't really need the RAS system since the Tundra has a nifty little thumbwheel on the dash to adjust the headlight angle. I just like my ride to be level. Before I added the RAS system the 5.0 only lowered the rear end about 2", well within the travel of the suspension before bottoming out.

In our 6,500 mile journey across the country, the only time I reached payload limit was with both black and grey tanks full and the fresh tank empty. Since I normally empty those tanks at first opportunity, it is not really an issue for the way we camp. I do normally travel with the fresh tank 1/3 to 1/2 full so we can stop anywhere we desire for lunch and bathroom breaks if an urgent need arises.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can buy a medium-duty truck from Toyota in North America (it says "Hino" on it), and the Tundra obviously has more than a half-ton (1,000 pounds) of payload.
What is the story regarding the Toyota Hi-Lux? It seems to be sold by that name over much of the world, but not in the U.S. It is a small truck similar to the Tacoma, but is it the same thing?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:16 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
What is the story regarding the Toyota Hi-Lux? It seems to be sold by that name over much of the world, but not in the U.S. It is a small truck similar to the Tacoma, but is it the same thing?
The two models are not the same. They fill a similar market niche, and there are substantial mechanical similarities, but there's little if anything other than some engines and transmissions interchangeable between them. Essentially, since the Chicken Tax virtually requires Toyota to build truck in North America, they decided to make the Tacoma a specifically North American product, while the rest of the world all gets essentially the same HiLux. It took a while to decide this - until 1995, the "Toyota Truck" sold here was the HiLux with a different name (and the 4Runner was a HiLux Surf)... then they went their own ways. Since there is no sharing of production facilities, there's no need for the two models to be coordinated, and they have diverged, with the Tacoma getting bigger with each generation.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #90

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA - 2016 Toyota Tundra '1794'
Send a message via Skype™ to SterJen
YES! We love our Tundra 1794 - crew max 2017. The 5.0 is a delight to tow and we've had no issues. It's a short bed and we had Trade Master installed the hitch - they're the best.
We have the pul-lrite super glide hitch which works very well with the short bed. We can make nearly 90 degree turns!

Hopes this helps
Old 12-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #91

Trailer: 2007 5.0
The Tundra will be fine. I tow an Escape 5th with my 2016 F-150 (2.7 L eng). The hitch fits in a 5 1/2 ft box. The pull centerline is slightly fwd of the axle and took a while to correct for that when backing up. Enjoy!
Larry Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #92

Trailer: 2020 escape 19
I have a Toyota Tacoma and I am going to tow an Escape 19. I took it in for service and to make sure I wouldn't have any trouble towing the 19 and told my salesman that I was thinking about trading it in on a Tundra. He told me that if it were him he would wait on the 2021's that they are suppose to make some big changes which haven't been released yet but said it should have the same towing capacity and get around 30mpg.
ecombs2@cinci.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #93

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA - 2016 Toyota Tundra '1794'
Send a message via Skype™ to SterJen
WOW! That's a huge mpg increase - over twice what we get now.
Thanks' for the info. May have to look into trading in our Tundra next year.
Sally
Old 12-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #94

Trailer: 2020 escape 19
He said that there would be more info out after a truck show sometime in February. He said Toyota was always tight with info but thinks it will have a dual turbo motor. I'm not in a hurry and know my Tacoma will serve my needs for several years so I think I'll hold off for now.
ecombs2@cinci.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecombs2@cinci.rr.com View Post
He told me that if it were him he would wait on the 2021's that they are suppose to make some big changes which haven't been released yet but said it should have the same towing capacity and get around 30mpg.
Quote:
He said that there would be more info out after a truck show sometime in February. He said Toyota was always tight with info but thinks it will have a dual turbo motor.
This sales person is probably just repeating what he has seen on automotive websites (not from Toyota), which include speculation about a twin-turbo V6 engine in a hybrid system. It's possible; it would presumably be a variation of the Lexus LS 500h engine (the only turbo V6 in the Toyota lineup) and hybrid system (the highest-capacity and most sophisticated of the Toyota hybrids, and longitudinally mounted). It's also possible that this is an unfounded rumour, just like those about a diesel Tundra, although at least the part about a new generation of the Tundra is coming seems legitimate.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #96

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I read today that Ford is developing a F150 that has better torque and horsepower than their current 3.5 EcoBoost with fuel economy approaching 40 MPG
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #97

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Do I hear 50 mph?

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #98

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Do I hear 50 mph?

Enjoy,

Perry
I like your optimism !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #99

Quote:
He told me that if it were him he would wait on the 2021's that they are suppose to make some big changes which haven't been released yet but said it should have the same towing capacity and get around 30mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This sales person is probably just repeating what he has seen on automotive websites (not from Toyota), which include speculation about a twin-turbo V6 engine in a hybrid system. It's possible; it would presumably be a variation of the Lexus LS 500h engine (the only turbo V6 in the Toyota lineup) and hybrid system (the highest-capacity and most sophisticated of the Toyota hybrids, and longitudinally mounted).
In miles per US gallon, the Lexus LS 500h gets 25 MPG city, 33 MPG highway, and 28 MPG combined. 30 MPG combined, or even highway, seems implausible for the same powertrain in a heavier vehicle with wider tires and much more aerodynamic drag. I think the 30 MPG figure was pulled out the air, or just based on the LS 500h with no thought applied.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #100

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I wanted to say thank you to all the truck owners that took the time to weigh in (excuse the pun). It looks like there are plenty of happy Ford owners.
I got a little education there.

Thanks again.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote